how do i start on rock guitar

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by ambush, Feb 18, 2005.

1. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

i have been playing acoustic for some time now
    and i want to start rock guitar
    so i need techincal details on what kind of guiar i need to get
    and the equipments

2. jusmail

jusmail New Member

You mean guitar made of rock!! Just kidding.

After acoustic, the folk all over move on the electric guitar. Or if you want to specialize, you may opt for the bass guitar. For the electric guitar, the other accessories you need include an amp to amplify your sound, a distortion pedal to create other sounds, a set of extra strings, and a capo. Other wise men/women in this forum will I am sure shed more light on this!

3. bravo

bravo New Member

to start rock on a guitar
    u need to leard the power chord ,fifths n sevenths chords...you cn play rock musik even on acoustic...

4. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

:shock:

first, u can start on en electric..many do, it depends on ur style of playing..
    and ur bass thing must have been a joke.. :p:

@ambush, learn power chords, more scales, arpeggios, more techniques and learn more about guitars in general..quite a lot is available on IGT if u search properly..then u r ready..
    or u can always just walk into a guitar shop, choose a colour n shape of ur choice n regret afterwards..

5. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

grow ur hair long.

6. shak

shak Harrr!

^ LOL!! ..... hehehe .... and wear t-shirts with skulls on em..
    back to topic... get yourself a half decent electric and an amp .. dont worry about effects yet.. familiarize yourself with the electric guitar first ... then explore your abilities!

7. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

and become obsessed with things like depression drugs alcohol *** death destruction etc etc if someone does something good.. and majority agrees.. u need to feel disgusted about that.. rebel and write a rocking song about it which like minded souls will find cool.. etc etc.. a nice guitar would help too.

8. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

on a serious note.. i play rock guitar on acoustic. so can u. u need nothing more.. just change of attitude and new songs to get going immediately. u can worry about electric guitar few months later.

listen to the following songs for inspiration:
    acoustic:
    crazy on ya - heart
    pinball wizard/ behind blue eyes - the who
    crash - dave mathew band
    december - collective soul
    no such thing - john mayer
    electric :
    night train - GNR
    dr feel good /girls girls girls-motley crue
    mama kin /last child - aerosmith
    eric clapton - cocaine
    whole lotta love - led zeppelin

Those are some of the songs which would inspire me to play rock.

A lot of us get inspired listening to trained robot players like satriani vai etc. u will find a zillion list of such songs here on IGT. so depending on your tatse start listeing to good rock music, and try to sound like some of the songs... and things will fall in place naturally. gear is secondary in my opinion at this stage.

9. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

Stairway 2 hell.. by jayswami. :p:

i was referin 2 J's prev post... :)

10. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

go to a gig .....

11. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

i totally agree with post #5 and post #7.

12. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

collect some Rocks from the mountains n put string on the rock
    n make a rock guitar n start playin...have fun