Homemade Overdrive

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Double Click, Jul 20, 2007.

1. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

yeah, which circuit? Nice job

2. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Ya, what pedal is it based on? And does it magnify pick hits?

3. Double Click

Double Click New Member

It responds very well to the picking style. Listen to the picking dynamics clip. It was recorded with the gain on max and it goes from a very mild almost clean overdrive to a high drive tone just depending on how hard u pick. U can also notice this towards the end of the medium gain clip. After around 40 seconds, he starts picking slightly harder, and the tone becomes more edgy.

It isn't really based on any single circuit. I've been analysing overdrive circuits for a while now, and borrowed ideas from a lot of different circuits. It started out as a simple feedback amp using opamps, then I added a clipping stage. The voicing was a matter of trial and error, experimentation with various cap values led to this. In the end the circuit turned out to be extremely simple :)

@taxyse - Soundclick and my connection hate each other, always keeps throwing up errors. If u want, I can send u the files individually.

4. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

naa didnt like it

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

OK?
    Be more specific, what didn't you like?

6. Double Click

Double Click New Member

+1 :) (damn char limit)

7. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

didnt like the overall feel

8. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

sounds like a cross between a metal pedal and a overdrive pedal managing to be neither..no offence DC, but im just being honest.

maybe its got to do with the amp or the guitarist's skill or the mic etc..but what i heard i didnt like.

my 0.02$

9. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

well, for a prototype of an original design, I think it has plenty of potential and you get my vote... kudos

10. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Hehe, ok. No offence taken :) Its still only a prototype, and theres plenty of room for improvement. I was actually trying to build a mild overdrive with a slightly unconventional voicing.
    BTW, if u really want a Fuzz Factory, I could prolly build u one. I checked out the circuit, and it shouldnt be too hard.

@tallkien - Thank you :beer:

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Nice I liked it.. nice for a prototype keep it up dude.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

13. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

is ur overdrive like the one that one of my friends made which looked like a computer motherboard ripped off nd modified?? :D

14. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Hmm.. Kinda took out the aggression in the sound... Thing is there are plenty of marshally sounding pedals out there with honky mids and fizzy highs, I wanted to make something that sounded different.

If u listen closely to the original clips, u'll find that each string rings out clearly, and isnt lost in the distortion despite the heavy voicing.. The pedal lets ur playing and the guitar's tone shine through. The eq'd version kinda adds a lil too much drive and muddies up the sound a lil bit.
    But, tastes vary, and the beauty of this design is that it can be customised to varying tastes very easily. Say someone wants more mids/highs and less bass, its just a matter of switching a couple of caps :)

Lets see, as soon as I get my guitar back, I'll try making some better clips.

15. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Hehe, nope. Its nowhere near as complex as that. :)

@jocelyn - Thanks. Nice to see you back on IGT