Home recording with reaper help!!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by untouchable, Jul 12, 2011.

1. untouchable

untouchable New Member

The thing is increasing the guitars in the mix makes the drums inaudible..i know what you're trying to say but guitars can be clear and powerful at that level too..making it louder would cause clipping for the track..and if i wanted to match the levels id have to increase levels on the drum tack as well and that again would lead to clipping..rendering somethin like that would just be noise..ive got some new plugins for amp simulators and guitar tones..they are really helping out..the sound is much much better..thanks for the help though..really appreciate it..Reaper is the way to go..\m/

2. untouchable

untouchable New Member

I think with the right plugins you can do anything..about the eq and dry/wet signals..in built reaper plug-ins can do that..

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Overall decibels are not the only thing that you can play around with.
    Equalization is nothing but changing the volume for a particular band of frequencies.

Use EQ to make an instrument sound loud - even without increasing the sound levels.
    And vice versa.

Another point is that ultra-distorted guitars are like White noise signal. It will drown EVERYTHING in the mix. So keep its levels low (which means lower than what you feel is low enough)

Oh and one more point - you always cut down the sound levels/EQ settings etc.
    Don't boost anything - unless there is a solo piece that you wish to highlight.

4. untouchable

untouchable New Member

Thanks for the help..il check it out..cheers\m/

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

If you listen to the mix the guitars are definitely mixed lower than they need to be, all EQ considerations aside. I don't think a few dB is going to drown the rest of the mix out. The rest depends on how you EQ everything to give it it's own space.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ok - as a side note / off topic - I just tested the "mighty" Reaper out on my official laptop with crappy IDT audio drivers.

Sad to state that there is a hyooge latency which craps out the multitrack recording sessions.
    There is no auto delay compensation feature in Repear which is sad. (or perhaps I am sad, that I couldn't find and enable it).

Audacity. Had the same problem of two tracks not being in sync.
    However, one nice thingie which I saw - it has a guide which allows you to shift tracks so that they are in sync. This would done mostly based on latency adjustments IMO.

Now coming to Acid Express. Faced the same out of sync problem.

And I couldn't believe the same problem occurring in *gasp* Nuendo!
    I couldn't find the way to actually correct the offset in tracks.

And the only software out of all I tried (audacity, kristal, repear, darkwave, nuendo, acid xpress, audition etc) - only Adobe Audition managed to auto correct the track off set.

I had found something similar 5-6 years ago with by old PC (which I still use though).
    And the similar thing happened today with this new laptop (perhaps with crap sound driver).

I am surprised no one else has experienced the same.

PS: anyone wants a clip to understand what I mean - I'll post it up later tonight or tomorrow.
    I did a very simple loop-back by feeding speaker (track A) into microphone (track B) - and checking whether both are aligned or not.

7. thehundredthone

Maybe it's the hardware. I've never had sync issues recording with Audacity, Garageband or Logic Pro on my '07 Macbook white.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Of course it is the hardware.
    But it should be corrected in all if one is correcting it.

Actually now I played around with the Reaper.
    There are a lot of ways to playback and record.
    If I use direct sound - then this problem arises.

If I use the wave out - then Reaper takes care of this issue on its own (like Audition) :p
    Will play around more to come out with some conclusive results.

9. thehundredthone

Okay, hardware + Windows' implementation of sound.

I've recorded on an older system P4 2.4, 512MB RAM, SB Live! 5.1. I used the ASIO drivers. There was latency but Audacity corrected it automatically. I dunno, I'll have to look into what I did or it did by itself.

10. untouchable

untouchable New Member

For the latency issues.Download the ASIO drivers..switch that as your driver and dont use any other programs in the background which use direct sound drivers..it works fine..cheers

11. untouchable

untouchable New Member

If you change the buffer rate in the asio settings you'd get little or no latency..the point is too high a sample and digital crackling will be all over the place..you'll have to try various combinations..all the best :)

12. untouchable

untouchable New Member

13. thehundredthone

No bassline?
    Guitar's have too much midrange for this kind of music IMO.
    What did you use for the drums?

14. untouchable

untouchable New Member

Mi***reator.. for all the midi tracks..leaving aside guitars..Yeah ive started using B.I.G vst plugin so that my bass track sounds way better than it does in the vid..

15. untouchable

untouchable New Member