Home Recording with free downloaded softwares for Multi track recording

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Apr 5, 2005.

1. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

yeah i was just exaggerating about that pro thingy.

Ronnie was saying sslayer used a marshall and a Rs90 mic and got decent tone, well that really depends from person to person. Ronnie might find the recording(tone) good but I might find it horrible. So go ahead and Experiment!

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I didn't say I liked his tone. I liked the clarity. The tone was totally mid scooped patch. Not my kind but I really liked the clarity with which he managed to get the recording. Even the clean thing recording really rocked. There was some slight hiss but that's nothing compared to the recording clarity. So it's not about the tone. It's about how clean the recording gets.

3. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

miking amps..is pretty important..and most often neglected..
    a good mic and proper placement of the mic is very important..
    if u notice...bad miking will not replicate the sound u are after..and not able to replicate the sound u are hearing even in the room.

if recording with a 90 bucks mic and some random mikin suits u its fine.
    experimentin does help u..but basic knowledge of mikin techniques DOES help.

@ronnie--try nuendo or cubase..its a much better platform..its not a free software..but a cracked version is available..in most p2ps i guess.hehe..try before u buy..heh.

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@dharmatma: ...look whose been attending college lately :p ..waisai dude... get me a 90 buck amp please?? :p:

5. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^ lol..90 bucks amp should read..90 bucks mic..hahahahah..im tired actually..today was a busy day.

6. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

Yo guys
    I have found that using the Cabinet simulator on my processor makes the sound crappy and sound distant :shock:

yeah distant - it appears as if the sound is not coming from the speaker but rather from somewhere behind it ...

and the tone loses all its punch - no low mids :( ... weak bass ... high treble ... damn and it sound like i am using a virtual chorus also ... :cry1: ... it sound CRAP

7. ronnieanand

Cabinet simulator is just simulating a miced Amp. Maybe your reverb is set like crap otherwise you wont have these problems. Or your processor's Cabinet Simulator is kappoot.

8. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Hey Ron
    yest i tried the noise suppersor thingy on my processor,

and I realised taht by defualt it is set at 5, for cutting more noise i need to set it at 10,

just out of curiosity i put it at zero ... and guess what

i got tremendous feedback ... humongous sustain ...

anly hitch - my fingers moving on the strings caused noise ... but i will live with it ...
    saalaa Noise suppresor kills all the sustain form the processor + amp combo

9. chintan9

hahahaha wat processor do u have da?

10. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

i have Toneworks AX 100

:annoyed:

am not rich enuff to buy fancy stuff :cry1:

11. jekyll

jekyll Banned

LOL

even I have the KORG AX100G ...

lemme check those cabinet simualtors ...

however i never felt the need for it ...

12. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Whtever dude .. u need a minimal sound blaster card ... ONboard stuffs can never do !!!! u can get a descent 1 for 1 k ...

13. ronnieanand

Hey AX100G is pretty nice. Either you dont know how to use it or your processor is kappoot. SOunds way better than the Zoom 505 or 606.

14. chintan9

Dude Ax100g is decent(my first processor). atleast for softer stuff. if u wanna play metal and heavier stuff then dont expect anything great to come out of it. Anyways tweak the thing, like someone else said EXPERIMENT and you might get a decent tone. :beer:

15. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

i want multi track recording software. could someone please pm me the link.. ive been hunting around and i still havent found it. preferably cakewalks home studio. any other will doo too at the moment. thanx!

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

17. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Yeah. Garageband kicks ass. The effects that it has are great. :nw: And its easy as hell to record.

18. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

I too get lot of hisses mostly while performing tapping techniques. I think its more like the feedback. I put my amps too close and play (i got a small room :)). Volume also helps in controlling them.

19. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Very informative thread

20. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

A lot of it is dependent on the sound card too - Audigy is a good one and pretty cheap too. Do you get the same hiss if you mic up your amp too? If not, then it might be a faulty line-in, dust in the input or just a bad cable - have a go at it with multple options. It's not about the software!

I don't do any pro recordings - my only audience is a 2 year old - but have done a lot in the past - but then again, I use a Mac.