help??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rickkky_rich, Jan 31, 2006.

1. rickkky_rich

rickkky_rich Banned

hey guys i m havin a problem while playin barred chords.... when i slide from one position to other it creates noise that sounds really bad .... how can i minimise it????

2. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

A scratchy sound is created while playing barre chords...when u slide from one chord to another....it is caused by the friction caused between your finger and the strings....mainly the 6th and the 5th string....the sound will be more if the strings are new. But that sound is not at all bad..in fact it gives u a feel of true accoustic tone and sounds nice.

But, if you are talking about some other noise which is irritating and ruins the music...then buddy, practice is the only way to go. I also had this problem while playing barre chords but with continuous practice, it faded away. So practice man, practice...no other alternatives.

Cheers !
    Probuddha

3. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

ya...practice is the key...don worry..u might have ur skin peeled off on the barr chord holdin...but its jus a matter of time....practice...

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

I get similar sound too,its ok most of the time
    but when i try to play the opening riff of smoke on the water,i get the same sound and it becomes annoying(is it supposed to be played as barre chords or should i use my thumb to hold the 6th string)

5. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

i love that sound....you are right probuddha....it gives a true acoustic feel....
    but if u dont like it, while changing the barre chords, dont slide them.
    instead release your hand from the fretboard(after u play one barre chord) and get it at the other barre chord.dont slide it.
    i hope that helps.....
    uj:rock:

6. rickkky_rich

rickkky_rich Banned

thnx a lot for ur valuable advices guys!!!
    i'll practice and practice hard!!

7. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

Thats the spirit buddy !!

All the best !!

8. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

the reason for the sound is that the strings 6, 5, 4 (and sometimes 3 too) are covered. their surface is full of ridge like protrusions so when ur finger scrapes against them the noise is inevitable.