help with flute..

Discussion in 'Misc Musical Instruments' started by rasika, Apr 14, 2006.

1. rasika

rasika New Member

hi,
    anybody here knows how to play flute?? I have one which nobody uses. I thought i'll atleast learn basic notes...

2. sachoo

sachoo drenched in my pain again

Friday night = dirty mind... :p: ..hehehe

concentrate on C D E F G A B n then Am.

nice weekend :beer:

3. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

i know to whistle..but flutes naahhh.....even i haf one,,,aise hi padi hainn...

4. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

I have played flute long time ago. My favorites are "Mere rang mein rangne waali" and "Titanic theme".

Just start playing note by note. Once you get hang of relative sounds of notes you can starting playing songs.

5. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

how much does a decent flute cost???

6. devilss_code

devilss_code New Member

even i got one.... it wud be nice to read some thread tht speaks about the basics.

:)

7. Trixon

Trixon New Member

Dude why the hell are ther no more replies

neways please ans this
    "how much does a decent flute cost???"

How the hell do i play C D E F G A B on the flute
    also how to play the #'s and b's...

please this is a call to any guy/s how like to help idots in flute music learn something

8. Trixon

Trixon New Member

Lessons!!!! may be?

Ok first of all before getting on my nerves and telling me the site name this article has been copied from i want to tell you that i am not the guy who wrote this article...

The only reps i want are for copy pasting this article from

https://www.howtodothings.com/hobbies/a2720-how-to-play-the-flute.html

Hope you guys learn something cause i am trying to......

How To Play the Flute

By Tonya Sandersfeld
    Sunday, May 14, 2006

Learning to play the flute can seem like a daunting task, but it's simply a matter of mastering a few basic steps. Soon, you'll be able to play everything from baroque to jazz!

First, you'll need to acquire a flute. It's not necessary to spend a lot of money. In fact, a good used beginner flute can be found for around one hundred dollars. Before purchasing the instrument, have it checked by a flute repair shop to be certain it doesn't have any major problems.

Next, become familiar with your new flute. When you open the case, you'll see that the flute is in three pieces. The long, smooth section is the headjoint. It's closed on one end (the "cork"), with a round opening about one-quarter of the way down (the "embouchure"). The longer section with many keys is the body. The short section is the footjoint.

You're ready to start playing! It's best to look in a mirror while learning these first steps. Take the headjoint out of the case. Hold it with your left hand. Put your lower lip on the wide side of the embouchure. Cover the open end of the headjoint with your right hand. Tuck in the corners of your mouth slightly and blow across the hole. If the flute produces a low, airy sound and there's a small, triangular patch of condensation on the opposite side of the embouchure, you've got it. If not, roll the headjoint slightly inward or outward and try again.

Once you can easily do this, uncover the end of the flute. Tuck in the corners of your mouth a little more and blow a little harder. This makes a note that is an octave higher than the first. Do not puff your cheeks when you blow. The air should come from your diaphragm. Practice this for several days until you can easily make both notes.

Now, it's time to assemble the flute. Pick up the headjoint and hold it in your left hand. Grasp the body in the smooth area above the keys. Gently insert the headjoint into the body. If there's any resistance, twist the headjoint slightly back and forth while pushing. Next, pick up the footjoint. Hold it at the end so that you are not pressing on any keys. Insert it into the opposite end of the body.

To line up the keys properly, look down the length of the flute from the top of the headjoint. The embouchure hole should be in line with the keys on the body and the rod that runs down the length of the footjoint should be lined up with the center of the keys on the body. You do not want the footjoint keys to be in line with the body keys, because they are played by the fifth finger on your right hand, which is shorter than the others.

You will put your fingers on the following keys on the flute: Your left-hand thumb will go on the triangle-shaped key on the back of the body. Your first finger will be placed on the second, small key on the front. You will skip the next key, then place your second and third fingers on the next two keys. Your pinky finger will go on the lever that extends out from the body.

Your right-hand thumb does not have a key - it is used solely to support the flute. Your first, second and third fingers will be placed on the last three keys before the footjoint. Your right-hand pinky finger will rest on the semi-circle key at the top of the footjoint. For most people, this feels quite awkward at first. In spite of this, try to keep your mouth, throat and fingers relaxed. It's impossible to produce a smooth, rich sound if you have a lot of tension in your body.

Depress the keys on which your left-hand thumb, left-hand first finger, right-hand first finger and right-hand pinky finger are resting. Put the flute up to your mouth and blow, just like before. This note is either a low B-flat (third line on the treble staff) or a high B-flat (second space above the treble staff), depending upon how much air is used. Practice the low B-flat until you feel that it's as clear as you can make it. This may take several days or more.

Using the fingering chart in a beginner lesson book, gradually work your way down the scale of the flute from your original B-flat. Again, take your time and really work to make each note the best it can be. Repeat these steps, this time starting with the high B-flat.

By now, you should be familiar and comfortable with your flute. You may begin working out of a lesson book, or take formal lessons. It's always best to take formal lessons when learning a new instrument, as a trained teacher can help you break bad habits before they become ingrained. However, if you practice very carefully, you can learn a lot on your own, also. The important thing is to have fun and enjoy your new talent!

9. ak&guitar

ak&guitar THE INNER VOICE

normally cheap flutes in india. cost anywhere from Rs. 30 to Rs. 250.
    these flute do not play all the scale , they can play only one scale.....this means you can play all the songs that u wanto to play but only in that particular scale. the scale is indicated on the bottom of the part where u blow in, it might say B,C, D whatever. if it says B than it means it is in the scale of B. I have a flute that is in the scale of B. its advisable to buy a flute of the sacle C as it will be easy for u to understand the notes that u play and will also be easy to remmember.once done that ....i will post some more of the little knowledge i have later, as i m short of time now.

vini likes this.