Help - Rootkit Problem when accessing IGT

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by cooldesert, Apr 27, 2013.

1. cooldesert

cooldesert New Member

Hi, I am going through a weird problem. At times, the IGT is redirected to myfilehosting site automatically when searching through google from Firefox browser (Warning: this site asks to download a plugin which is a virus).

This isnt a problem with Popup/ads and after some research I realized it was something called as Rootkit. I personally use Mac OS so never cared about virus but the redirect is frequent these days and am not sure if my machine is infected with Rootkit as I've tried to check with some tools available for mac and found no issues.

Just wanted to confirm if anyone is facing a similar issue or they are automatically being redirected to other ad based sites?

While researching, I found that Rootkits can attack linux based web servers and can steal passwords while few even said that it can affect routers.

To view/replicate the problem, open a new browser window and type something like "Satyamev Jayate chords IGT" and see if you are redirected. For me it redirects only for IGT while every other thing loads normally.

Help appreciated.

Thanks,
    VS