Help Needed with a new electric

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nilu_nirvana, May 31, 2006.

1. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

guys, help is needed from your end in helping me find a new axe. I have been playing on a tansen strat copy for quite some time now....looking for an upgrade as of now...budget is around 20k...might stretch that to 25k...i am very keen on jacksons, though, i found out from IGT that the good ones cost a bomb...how do you rate the DK2M,DK2S, DK2...and ofcourse the DX10D?dunno where to get a jackson though....

my other alternative would be an ibanez...
    Hows the GRG170DX..or the GRG270DX?...and could you please lemme have an idea on the price of the RG2570E?

i am basically looking for a more fuller tone than the tansen...and good sustain....double locking trem..

music would be megadeth, dream theater, floyd, U2, Dire Straits...

2. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

hey man...look for an ibanez rg2550e.....im gonna go and check it out sumtime soon but it looks really good and from the reviews ive read it sounds like a freakin awesome guitar too

3. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

will do that...how much does it cost?and any dealers in and around Delhi?
    Do post up once you've checked it out....the feedback would be very valuable

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Surprisingly, none of those music styles require a Floyd Rose bridge/tremolo unit.
    Floyd, U2 and Dire Straits uise single coils rather than humbucker and hence you will sound closer to them if your guitar has a single coil.

Seems like you music taste and guitar taste doesnt match.
    Think about it again man.

It shouldn't happen that you buy an super expensive thing and dont like the end result.

5. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

Thats true:)....but i already have a strat copy by tansen...so that takes care of the Dire Straits and Floyd kinda tones...but i really dont get the sustain and crunch for megadeth/dream theater tones....the sustain really is poor on the tansen...

i am more keen on the H-S-S config so i get the best of both worlds....and also i just love the clean tone you get on the H-S switch position....the kind of tone that marty friedman gets when he plays the classical parts in between...

reason why i am looking for the double locking trem is that my fulcrum type trem on the strat copy plays havoc on the tuning!!...and i like to play around with the trem ....for those subtle nuances of U2 and Dire Straits numbers...

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well for that subtle whammy effect, even a normal bridge will do.
    Infact if a normal tremolo gets out of tune playing U2 or Dire Straits then there is somethign wrong with it.
    It would be cheaper to rectify that than to get a Floyd Rose.

Ofcourse if Money is no problem for you then .........

My advice: dont go for Floyd Rose just because every Tom Dick and Harry has it or because every Tom Dick n Harry advice you for it, without understanding the basic need.

7. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

thanks for the advice alpha...my strings dont go off-tune if i dont play around with the trem....but when i use it for those deep purple numbers, then its a different story!!..ofcourse, dire straits doesnt give any probs at all...infact, the bridge and mid pups give a really good "glassy" knopfler tone...

what do you suggest for an upgrade?

8. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

dis is the ibanez rg2550e

Attached Files:

9. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

great finish...would be much much ***ier without the pickguard though....have you checked out the DK2M?its looks awesome!!!

one reason why i am keen on the jackson!!!

Attached Files:

10. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

check out onstage in lajpat nagar. it has got some new jacksons in stock

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I agree with you. A non locking tremlo can work very well if it is set up properly and if it is of a good quality... On the other hand even a Locking tremelo that is not setup properly will cause Havoc, infact it could cause even more. You got to make sure the Nut is set up properly... that is where most tuning issues occur...My friend has a strat copy and the tremelo works well ( with moderate use of cousre).,, Its the same strat you can see on my avtar.
    I suggest go with a normal tremelo... among the normal non locking tremelos also there are varities... You have Vintage, Knife edge and Ball bearing....
    Another thing about Locking Tremelos... I see so many people having guitars with them .. but they hardly use them.. These guys/gals would have done much better- and had better tone with a simple tremelo...
    You are in Delhi right why dont you cheak out Aria, I hear they are good value for money ..

12. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

hey jocelyn,
    many thanx for ur post..
    one thing-aria is a brand,right?.will go hunting in lajpat nagar next week..

13. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

just checked out the Aria website....
    the guitars looked good....anyone with a feedback on the quality and the price of the MAC series?
    amd where to get them in Delhi?

14. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

u can get aria at bharat music house in lajpat nagar but i would suggest u go for an ibanez with your sort of budget

15. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

i got an aria stg-03.....its a good guitar...but it has no humbuckers....i got mine for 6500

16. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

bharat music house? hmmmmm......the shop had a bad review by IGT members.....will try to check on the prices of the MAC series and the Xl series before i venture into that shop...

help needed on these prices!!!!

17. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

you can get Aria with a hum-s-s configration I think it is the STG 04 or 06 .. not sure though.. and yes I think Bharat Music has them. But dont just go and buy it because I suggested.. Cheak out stuff a lot and dont be in a hurry take your time......If you see something else ask around.. make sure you know what your guitar is made of.. thats imp.

18. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Bad reviews..... then take care..... but what are the bad reviews? Overpricing? or the Store owners know nothing? or are mean ? But look around Aria was a suggestion I made to give you an Idea... I hear Yamaha Pacifica are good tooo.... hearing lots of good thing abouth them, infact Alpha and a few others just posted something abouth them yesterday when I asked abouth Pacifica.

19. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

quite right jocelyn,

the aria xl dlx is around 16k, as posted by ira and the ibanez RG 370Dx is around 17k at furtados...will take my own sweet time ..fortunately i'm going to pune in june....will have chance to stop at mumbai and check out the guitars there.......

how do you rate the 370dx?and whats the body wood in both the guitars?

20. nilu_nirvana

nilu_nirvana New Member

case of overpricing...with 2 guys!!