Help me out guys...

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Rohan, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Rohan

Rohan New Member

I've got a problem.I've changed my strings recently.Alice strings.But they are so hard to play.I've got my fingers cuts.so i cannt tune them on E,instead i tune them at Eb.So is there any way to softening the strings,by applying or something...?

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

YOu cant do anything by applying anything.. First of all never heard of ALICE strings.. So i suggest you change them again.

Or probably give those strings a little stretch..

3. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

yeah jay is rite , i think streching will help - try it ,..

no need to change them as they are already new !!

4. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

Go buy slightly expensive strings, maybe DAddario's, cheapest among the good brands I think, depends where you buy it from.
    Its worth the money.
    Check what strings go on your guitar. You can't use any guage strings. Besides if you change the guage of strings you normally use, you have to re-setup your guitar to deal with the tension on the neck and fret relief.

5. Rohan

Rohan New Member

Thnx for info guys.Keep pouring...

6. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Rohan, if I were you I’d take pro_guitar's suggestion. Get yourself a decent set of strings, preferably light gauge. Also check your guitars action and alter it if it's too high. Until you feel comfortable playing the instrument, you won’t enjoy learning it.

Raj

7. dhim

dhim New Member

Hi Rohan,

I had set the bridge a little higher for rhythm....

Hope my signature gives you pleasure and joy :)

Dhim

8. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

change strings/mess around with action..

9. jayanth

Depending on the Action, and Bridge setting change your strings.. Jumping on LIght Guage may not help.. Cause It may not have the action to hold them..

10. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

You are referring to the 'tension' of the strings. The action does not hold the fretboard straight. 'Action' refers to playability and is the height of the strings from the frets. The lower the action the easier it is to fret, and vice versa.

Changing string gauge would largely affect the tension/strain on the fretboard, not so much the action (which depends on the tension). A slight truss rod adjustment can alter the tension in favour of light gauge strings (done only if required; if the neck is bowed due to tension).

Beginners should mostly be recommended light gauge strings, of good quality. Rohan's fingers were already cut; heavy/medium gauge would only cause more misery. One should always be bothered about convenience and playability than tension or action (the latter can always be altered). In other words don’t modify yourself to suit the guitar, modify the guitar to suit you.

Raj

11. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

dude..see basicaly it dont matter what strings u buy....i ve been using the cheap ones on my guitar forever now....the deal is how long have u been playing..most strings are decently made...and ideally they wont cut u.....but u need to have the callouses on ur fingers..especially for E5...one thing i dont get is how does tuning ur guitar to Eb help u.its stil the same string with the same gauge...and usually the thinner strings are the ones who hurt....or mebbe u r playin after a long time...long enuf for ur fingers to loose the callouses

12. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

ya....Even the cheaper strings say givson are not that bad that they cause cuts...

13. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Cuts are caused by poor technique and a lack of calluses. There are also other important variables such as string gauge and action. I’d recommend applying ‘rubbing alcohol’ for calluses. Search the board to read more about it.

It’s wrong to say it doesn’t matter what strings you buy; whether discussing cuts/wounds or music. Depending on your instrument, your playing level/ability and genre, the strings should be selected. Playing your guitar should be about making informed decisions, as progress is easier that way. Good quality strings should always be the first choice. In an acoustic guitar the quality of sound depends on the top wood (solid top) and the strings. Solid top guitars are expensive and are for the most part unavailable in India. For this reason it is best you opt for good quality strings. Unless you are obsessed with the instrument, a lack of superior sound may easily cause you to lose interest (which is the primary reason most beginners don’t continue with the guitar). In fact anyone with a little experience will mainly recommend good quality strings. Strings influence the sound.

Light gauge strings are easier on the fingers. Google “beginners string gauge” to read more on why light gauge strings are recommended for beginners.

Raj

14. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

actually am agaisnst rubbing alcohol......that aint good...coz ull loose ur callouses that way........u dont wanna......but thats been discussed so wont goin to that

15. jayanth

Yhea Raj:- Sorry Wrong Mistake..

And not only Beginners.. I use Light Guage too.. Its more of your comfort levels later on..

16. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

strings do make a world of difference.....when it comes to music.....but siince we were limiting oursleves to cuts and wounds....it goes without saying no matter how high a gauge u play with u r gonna have thin lower strings..and thats why the lower strings wud hurt....as to beginers playing with lighter gauges......yeah i wud patronise that..as the bend easily and shit like that....basically they are easier to play ....

17. jayanth

@ Doc:- It does.. If someone comes and gives me a 11-56 guage and asks me to play Pull ME under, I would lauh cause i would screw up every part of the lead..

18. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Dr. Saurabh, I specified in my argument that quality of the strings matter, whether discussing cuts/wounds or music. This suggests I have taken into account the cuts/wounds issue, as well. While it is true string quality has a modest role to play as far as cuts are concerned, it is smarter to use better quality strings so as not compound the problem.

Also, it’s a fallacy that rubbing alcohol will cause calluses to wear down. There are no details to suggest that. I’ve been using it for a good period now. In fact I was introduced to this by a guitarist who’s been using it for close to 3 years. Pretty much every guitarist in my circle uses rubbing alcohol. No one has had a problem. Further, calluses are my best friends. I lift very heavy so they are central to my lifestyle.

There is a ‘loading’ phase, and a maintenance phase. Initially you will need to use it daily, but later on for maintaining them you can use it once a week. If you rub it on daily for months, eventually the calluses will fall off for new skin to take its place. That’s hardly a revelation. The net is a vast resource, read more about it to corroborate what I said.

Raj

19. jayanth

@ Raj:- I would suggest that you shuoldnt get used to Rubbing Alcohol too much.. Its not healthy..

20. rajscorps

rajscorps Kaput

Thank you for the concern Jay. Perhaps no one on the board is as obsessed with health issues as me. Rubbing alcohol is unsafe if you drink it. You are assured I won’t do that. :p I use it once a week, which is all right.

I have a dermatologist in the family who doesn’t discourage its use. Having said that, doctors normally are cautious and they won’t suggest a product/solution unless it’s established by their peers. Out-of–the-box thinking isn’t amongst their strong points. This leaves people like me to scrutinize and inspect every aspect for myself. I’d be the last person to err with regard to my health, having sustained a few bodybuilding injuries.

Raj