Help: Installing Ubuntu along with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by rizaaj, Dec 30, 2005.

1. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

Hi to all the Geeks,

can anyone please help me with a guide to install Ubuntu on my Desktop PC :eek:: ... heres the list of what i got...

Intel P4 3.0 GHz PC with 512 SDR.. and rest normal configuration with windows XP Professional running

i wanna install Ubuntu with it... i got the Ubuntu bootable cd wid me..

got 3 hard disk (120 GB with WinXP in it, 80GB with songs, and 40GB empty)and a Combo Drive... i wanna install Ubuntu in 40Gig...

my request to all Geeks is that please gimme a step by step guide to configure and install Ubuntu.. (specially Zooom)

Regards

2. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

Give me few hours...
    I would compile the step-by-step guide and post here..

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

3. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

i knew it... thanks v much in advance

4. zoomingrocket

I am installing Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger
    So lets begin with insertion of Install CD in Cd-drive and booting from the CD-Rom...

1)Once the CD Autoboots, you would get a Ubuntu Logo Screen with 'boot'
    prompt...
    2)Press ENTER to begin the installation
    Note: Entire Installation is in TEXT-Based Mode, no GUI-based is available.
    3)It would prompt for 'Choose Language', select English
    4)Now it prompts for 'Choose Location', select as appropriate
    5)Keyboard Layout selection confirmation dialog appears...confirm and press ENTER
    6)Now various hardware detection and IDE,Ports configuration would take place...so sit back and relax
    7)Various Modules and Softwares would be Unpacked next...
    8)Network configuration box appears.. It wud try auto-detect via DHCP or if it fails, it would ask whether you want to configure Manually
    You can select as appropriate...
    Note: If you use DSL or PPPoe type Internet Connection, do not configure your internet manually, just skip to next step i.e. Select Do not configure network
    9)Now it prompts for the Hostname... by default it says 'Ubuntu', you
    can configure it to anything...its just like Computer Name while Windows Installation
    10)Now main part comes is Partitioning of Disks...
    Now, select your 40GB HDD..
    Mostly it would be something like
    Erase entire disk: IDE2 master/slave (hda) - 37GB, etc..
    11)Next screen it would show you two partitions made, one of 'ext3'
    filesystem and other a 'SWAP' partition
    If you selected the proper HDD in earlier step... select YES for 'Write Changes to the disk'

12)Now installation of Base System would begin so sit back and enjoy..
    13)Timezone configuration box prompts after above step..select your Timezone and confirm
    14)Now user setup comes up... Enter your full name for the User, in next screen select a short username for logon (This username is what you would use to login) and then the password obviously!
    15)Now, the Boot Loader configuration comes... If it shows your already installed Windows Installation, like Windows XP Professional.. its safe to install the Boot Loader on MBR without any problems...
    16)Now, it would prompt for a REBOOT... upon reboot..enter your Bios and put First Boot Priority to Harddisk i.e. ur Windows one
    17)Now, it would show you Loading GRUB 1.5..and then list various OS...with 4 entries for Ubuntu and under Other Operating Systems, it would list
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    18)Boot your Ubuntu, the first in the list
    it would complete the remaining installation
    19)Now X-Server Configuration appears.. select the various resolutions your monitor supports and confirm
    20)Thats it.. your installation is completed and your Ubuntu Logon screen appears.. Put in your 'username' used in step14 and password to get inside.

Now, after installation you can reboot and use your Windows XP by selecting it from the Boot Menu
    If you want to configure Windows XP as the default OS for booting each time, boot into Ubuntu
    Navigate to My Computer>Filesystem>boot>grub>menu.lst
    Open the menu.lst file in text editor..it wud be having something like this at start:
    Code:
    # Generated by grubconf-0.5.1
    default=1
    timeout=10

Change the default=1 to default=4
    Thats it...now your XP is the default booting system next time onwards.

Enjoy your Ubuntu..and do let me know if you face problems..

A comprehensive list of screenshots while installation can be checked
    at: https://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=342&slide=1

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

5. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

kinda offtopic q here ..... How's Ubuntu neway... since u r using it zoom.... thut i'd ask u...

I 've used Redhat, Mandrake and Debian at diff points of time ... bt no idea abt this Ubuntu...... :eek::

6. zoomingrocket

@apurbajd: Well..me too used all big stuff like Redhat, Suse, Mandrake...but Ubuntu is small and compact and i guess the best Linux out there supporting various Laptop Hardwares..

I tried installing Suse, Fedora...but all these fail on some component, especially on Laptop Configurations...like battery detection or soundcard or even lan card sometimes...
    This is where Ubuntu Scores..
    Its a compact system with only Gnome and necessary softwares...
    Nearly everything is perfectly detected and working...includes soundcard and graphics card...

For my desktop back home... i am using Suse 10 & Fedora Core 4...both are best as we all know...

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

7. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

well I like it being compact .... (most of varieties are so bulky..) .... ..... neway thnx zoom.... guess I will check it out soon ..... ..

8. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

hey .. thanks for the step by step guide...

but im experiencing a problem...

during the step six it says "Unable to mount the image from CD, Please check the CD" something like this..

is it that im using a Combo Drive, is the combo drive not supported?

when i ordered Ubuntu, i ordered about 10 CDs, i tried 4 different discs but same message comes...

9. zoomingrocket

@rizaaj: Well..i didnt get any such errors.. I think there might be some problem in the Pressed CD's u received from Ubuntu...

I recommend downloading the Ubuntu ISO Image from the website and burn it for install...
    Regarding COMBO Drives..there isnt a issue as my Laptop also has a combo drive and Ubuntu had no problems with it..

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

10. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

sorry i got hold of that... my mistake .. my bad

lol.. i cant stop laughing at my self...

i was using ntfs filesystem :eek::

11. zoomingrocket

@rizaaj: ROFLOL... :RollLol:

12. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

my Ubuntu is up and working and i love using it.... Thanks a ton Zoom

one little problem.. would i be able to access files in other hard disks... like music and other image files...

i found the hard drives enabling feature.. but it shows "Inaccessible" with it.. i click on enable but still remains inaccessible...

13. zoomingrocket

@rizaaj: Make folders like C-drive D-drive or anyname you want in your root drive(filesystem)
    Then, from administration>disks> Change the location 'none' to corresponding folder you have created by BROWSING and then click ENABLE...
    After this it would mount your drive....

Similarly repeat the step for all your partitions...
    Enjoy!

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

14. whats ubunta :confused:

15. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

yes zoom got it.. and did..

its really an adventure using it..

@lav... its an operatin system jus like windows

16. cool... attach a screenshot na..

17. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

18. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

hey.. got a problem.. i wanna know... how to install tar packages manually..

i mean i installed all what i needed using Synaptics Package Manager.. but im just curious to know the terminal commands to install it manually...

help...

19. zoomingrocket

@rizaaj: Tar packages are not like setup wizards on Windows.. instead they are the compressed files like Winzip or Winrar with file extensions .tar or .tgz...

U can UNTAR them from terminal using command: tar -xvf filename.tar
    This would extract all files from the package(compressed file).. Then from those files, you may have a .bin or sbin file which can be used to launch a setup script which would install the respective program...

Setup wizards havent yet come up in Linux.. still developments like from https://www.bitrock.com/ which come out with multi-platform Installer System... simplifying the user to install programs faster...(much like windows ;) )
    Amsn, a MSN Messenger look-alike for Linux uses the Bitrock Installer System... (https://amsn.sourceforge.net/)

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

20. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

aaaaahh.. i get it..

thanks v much for help... dun wanna ask more today.. will get back with more questions tomorrow... :)