Help in improve my guitar strumming pattern

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by shan, Jun 17, 2005.

1. shan

shan New Member

hi friends...i am playing guitar for past 5 months...i am comfortable with chords now..but the problem is that i play all the chords with only one strumming pattern....i dont know how to improvise new strumming pattern...please give me some advise to improve my strumming pattern......some tutorial will be very helpful..its very boring to practice chords over and over again using the same strumming pattern.....also please tell me how do you understand which strumming pattern should be played for a particular song....... :nw:

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

one thing u can immediately try doing is to play each string one by one instead of strumming the whole chord ...

that 'll be a nice change for a while :)

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

this website will be of some help>> https://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/beginner.html

try searchin igt..derz lotsa stuff on strummin...bury somrthin deep in ur mind that u have to be patient while learning coz initially while learning to strum..uL make out jarring, bad and eerie noises..hehe..so focus and dont give up!!

u can also try www.guitar.about.com/od/freebeginnerlessons/

to start wid basics derz a pattern of 1&2&3&4..this goes on
    "1" is upstroke "&" is downstroke "2" is up "&"is upstroke..so on so forth

u can miss one beat in any order like der could be many patterns if u miss one stroke or two counts/strokes....

well..well..i think i shud better call it quits else iL end up confusing u further.. heehe. u try n check out the stuff i've asked u...m sure itL be a <A title="Best capital for u...all the best :)

tahda!!

4. death angel

death angel the messenger from hell

Bhai...
    seriously put yourself together....
    i know the big hearted veterans would say that you're supposed to commit such mistakes but truthfully 5 months is a LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGG time.
    Stop practicing chords.. You wont need them anyway (i mean the way you said ive been 'practicing' chords, you aren't going to concerts to show off how many chords you can play....)
    pick up some songs, learn their chords (you get superb chord books but a better way is to download free software which save almost every single chord in them)
    LISTEN to the song and match it with your guitaring and in some time you'll perfect it.
    Believe me all the guitaring i know today is what i learnt myself with the help of my friends.

5. shan

shan New Member

Thanks friends....I am going to check the stuffs suggested by you...and death angel, you scared me a lot....i thought 5 months is very little time....i feel like i am a very lazy learner....have to improve my self....anyway....thanks again buddies...will surely get back to you whenever help is needed...

6. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

Recipe of strumming...

1. Strokes :: up stroke(U), down stroke(D) and rest.
    2. Patterns :: singlet (single stroke), doublet(two strokes, UU,UD,DD), triplet(three strokes) and fourlet(four strokes). There are all possible strokes format including rest inbetween
    3. Beat :: You mix above 2 in appropriate manner and strumming is ready.

Cheers.

7. pure_angel

pure_angel New Member

strumming is all about ear practice... feel free to move your hand around six strings... indian songs are very easy to strum.... simply D U D U... D D U U D D
    D U D U U D U U D..

8. suraj tamang

suraj tamang New Member

thanx

especially to thanx goes to vini............. it was so helpful............