Help Buying an Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by mudgalbharat, Jul 9, 2004.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

dude, i can tell u one thing ANY INDIAN BRAND IS CRAP,if u r a beginer, just get a pick up stuck to ur acoutic, its pretty much the same as getting an indian accoustic, THE FENDER SQUIER AND THE PACIFICA SUCKS BIG TIME, shitty pic ups in both, try an ibanez, they re mighty fine if u ask me, but if ucan afford it, go for a Les Paul standard from Epiphone, just chek the shape and all, coz the cutaways might or might not suit u, coz i hate the strat ka double cutaways. u might also wanna chek according to what u play , whether u want humbuckers or standards, LPs have 2 humbuckers, pllus u r better of with set neck guitars, they tend to be sturdier,and maintain their tuning. just depends on ur pocket and ur style of playing, LP standard wud be somthing around 30k but it is worth it, believe you me.... ;)

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

IF I AM NOT wrong tho, all strats are bolt ons, all LPs upward of LP STudio are set neck, but sadly u dont get LPstudio here,if u r lookin for something around 6k u might as well go for a java, cheap and value for money,heavy tho,
    just get good amps and processor rt from the begining

3. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

LP Standard is worth 30k so if i'm not mistaken a Fender Mexican strat is worth around the same (just asking) ?

The person asked for a cheap electric startup instrument and the Squire and Pacifica fit that description. Also yes go to the guitar shop and play all the guitars but you will find you get quality only with price, your not going to get a 4k guitar (givson etc) to sound and feel better than a 11k guitar (squire, pacifica, epiphone etc), likewise the 11k wont be better than the 30k (LP Standard, Fender Mexican) nor would the 30k be better than the 70k(Gibson, Fender USA, Ibanez etc).

Go to a guitar shop and play guitars that are around the 10-15k mark and see what you like. Always go with a good quality brand as well it makes a huge difference, there's a reason why they are a good quality brand.

Furthermore there is no point in paying 6k for a Java when you can save up and get the Fender/Samick/Yamaha/Ibanez/Epiphone for 12k. It is double but then you would be keeping this guitar for at least a good 4-5 years if you stick with the guitaring.

4. rabi_sultan

i disagree with the good amp from the beginning, get a bad amp but a good guitar imo. An amp does not cost as much as a guitar and its better to learn on a good instrument as it is easier to play.

Yes Fender Strats are bolt ons, there's nothing wrong with that unless you smash it off the floor deliberately trying to break it, but then the set neck may face the same problem ;)

5. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

@ Myth :- Kind of both.. i call up Pro Musicals.. Its local before 9AM and after 10 Pm i call his land line.. Get prices...

@ Atul :- If its a GIVESON. I would say a bigger NO..

6. Myth_Pharoah

Myth_Pharoah New Member

Jayman, please please pretty please get me the exact price on the Metal Zone, will ya?

7. jayanth

I shouwed you on gig Pad.. That plus or minus 500 Rs.. Generally..

8. Theguitarist

Theguitarist New Member

Well if someone have any relative living in Europe or USA or Japan or Australia etc.If possible he/she should get the guitar from there.Because then the price would be 20% less.But not by shiping it should be brought by a person.

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

amps are very imp my friend, more imp at times than guitars, The Who guitarist, pete townshed chose his guitars according to his amps :) , and set necks and bolt ons make a heaven and hell diff, i have a epi LP STd and i have dropped it a couple of times, and its is steady, i dropped my pacifica once, and .....lets not talk about it...actually in the 11-12k range i guess the best bet wud be an ibanez, as the only gutiar in that range is LP special 2(i think) which sudoesnt have the flametop either, actually ibanez is around 14k at furtados, also get someone to bring ur gutiar from the states, its MUCH cheaper, LP std costs 16 k in usa in india its 31k....go fish...:)

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

Gibsons arent available in india,nor is fender USA these have to be eithrt imported or brought here by someone, as to the costs, lets say a 1959 gibson les paul standard costs $3000-$4000, and ibanez is much cheaper, the satirani series guitars cost upto $1000, which is mighty cheap, if u consider the jimmy paige signiture series which goes upto $7000, so in the 11-20 k frame, the best choice still remains an ibanez, or LP100 if u are not gonna bash it aorund, incidentally LP100 is the only epiphone rt now available in india which is around 20k, and it is no where near LPstandard, though u get the heritage cherry sunburst, in that, there is no flametop.
    basically dude its ur chioice, got to the shop, play and see, what guitar suits you, depending on the neck, the neck radius, the scale lenght, the cutaways, etc..but also look for the speicifiations, like the pic ups, body material, mahogany is the best..tho heavy,...ideally two pic ups are sufficient, but not in a squier, 15 pic ups wud be less in a squier, pacifica is not recomended, go for java instead, personally i prefer the single cutaway of the LP but if u want double, u have the strat,SG and the G-400, if u want a really good guitar from fender, u have telecaster, but then again it looks like shit....
    u might wanna look at the no of frets too, as most LPs have 22 frets while strats have 24...bottomline, play it, listen to it, see how fast u can play....chek the consrtuction, and decide.....
    for u thho best choice wud be a granda or a yamaha smi acoustic, or indian ones if u want cheaper

11. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

thats granada

12. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

:s

Hey Myth whts is K stands for like u said 8k ..
    and how to know that on my electric guitar ....

13. rabi_sultan

Pete Townshed already had a great selection of guitars to pick from ;)

Now how can you compare a 31k guitar with the 11k guitar? :shock:

14. MARS

MARS Mars Ji...Finally!!!!!

Hey Ravishing Boy...
    "K" Stands for Kilo..that is 1000...

and if Guitar is 8 K that means its cost is 8000 rs...thats it...

Enjoy..

:beer:

15. jayanth

Not comparing Rabi.. The Tax and the Shipping costs...

16. rabi_sultan

so that guitar costs 11k but with the tax and shipping ended up at 31k ?

17. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

no actually, this is how it is. pacifica costs some 4-5 k in US, and LP std costs 16k but furtados in india has to order it from epiphone from somewhere in the southeast asia.....and they have very few orders.....and epiphone doesnt really like to ship all the way to india for max 4-5 guitars.....so they charge u a bomb, add to that the shipping and the duty....which is why furtados has stopped (i think..for good) importing LPs....and i am not comparing 11k with 31 k:) i am comparin set V/S bolt on

18. jayanth

I Own a bOlt On.. :rock:

19. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Givson pls stay away ! They are not called Tantric Guitars I think Jayanth what u are refering to is Tansen Guitars they are pretty good ... Atulan u will get Tansen Guitars in Bhatia Musical & in Bharat Music . But I suggest u buy it from Bharat in Delhi .

Well Prices of decent Imported guitars start at around 7 K to about 15 K . There is Kramer Focus 211 S at around 8.5 K to 9 k without flyod rose & 12 K with Floyd rose whammy very good for the price or else u will Ibanez for 10 K. Squire strat for 12 K . Samiks are form 7 K to 12K .. Above Mentioned prices are Mumbai Prices they will be cheaper in Delhi By 500 Rs or so...

20. rabi_sultan

why are people bumping ancient threads?