Help buying a guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Saptashaw, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

I am planning to buy a guitar - budget is between Rs. 20000 to Rs. 28,000. I want a versatile guitar with locking tremolo and preferably HSH pickup configuration. Can you guys please suggest which one to buy?

2. zak*wylde

zak*wylde New Member

If want a versatile guitar go for an ibanez RG370dx. It has two humbuckers and one single coil, floating tremolo and 24 frets

3. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Thanks for the reply!! I was considering RG 370DX, but wanted to know if there was anything else in that budget I should consider.

4. zak*wylde

zak*wylde New Member

check out Jackson DXMG ,comes for 28K at bajaao.com. never played this guitar but the specs sound nice

5. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

The DXMG would be much better than the RG370.

There's also the Kramer Striker 424CM (20K), which is a whopper of a guitar.

6. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

stayt away from edge IIIs ..they are a joke ..You are better off buying a nice fixed bridge guitar at that price.If you are very particular about a floyd rose, try some of the esps in that price range...now i am not saying they il be much better than the edge III trems..but they il definitely be more reliable...

7. Maidenhead

Maidenhead UP THE IRONS!!!

dude i just got a new ibanez rg370dx, yesterday in fact, and got it set up. it plays like a dream man. go for it.
    also check out the ESP kh-202 kirk hammet signature

8. Maidenhead

Maidenhead UP THE IRONS!!!

and i havent played a dxmg, but a lotta people say that the pickups sound too 'muddy'

9. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Thanks for the replies guys!! I'll definitely look into the Jackson and Kramer, and hope I can find them at a shop here.

How would you compare those with the Ibanez S520? It doesn't have the single coil in the middle, but does have a ZR. The S470, though has HSH, but I have no idea how the pickups are.

Metalhead, by neighbour owns the RG 370DX, so that's the only guitar I've played in that budget - so I can't really compare with anything else ;) .

Thanks once again for the replies!!

10. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

if u can get your hands even on a s320 ..go for it..the zr bridge is probably the best tremolo system ever created...n about the rg370..i am not saying its trem is bad..its just unreliable and sorta gets screwed up overtime...

11. D_minor7

D_minor7 New Member

go for a fender stratocaster MIM...

Agreed all the above mentioned guitars are great...but are mostly designed for metal..I have tried all these guitars when i was in the market for one but didnt like their clean sounds....i will suggest an alternative..go to the kolkata fender dealer and then haggle a bit..maybe u can get a fender MIM for 29k...that will be a much versatile buy than the above guitars....i play blues, classic rock and ibanex, jackson did not fit my bill...if u dont get the fender then try for a yamaya pacifica...i forgot the model but it comes for the same price...and if u want a lespaul shape then get gregg bennet AV-6...u will find most of the guitars in braganza..haggle with tony.He is a good man.

12. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

I love the Strat and will definitely buy it. But I want my first Strat to be an American Standard Strat or something of that quality, which I unfortunately can't afford now :p: . So the decision to go for anything but Fender.

13. D_minor7

D_minor7 New Member

good decesion man....even i am saving up for an american standard or deluxe HSS....do tell me what u eventually bought...heard there is a new guitar shop on kyd street...go check it out...and i am pm ing you the number of the fender/Ibanez/jackson/line6 dealer in kolkata...i called up the fender distributor in mumbai and he gave me the number....i wanted to check the price of a Fender hrd tube amp...well it turned out to be 44k lol!!....anyway do check out what prices he will give u stuff at...cheers!!!

14. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Thanks a lot for the numbers :) !! Yeah I know about the shop in Kyd Street, and was talking to the guy who owns it. Pretty nice chap. I feel it is best to zero in on the guitar now and wait for a couple of months for the rupee to rise against the dollar before buying.