Help buying a flamenco guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by supernic, Jul 9, 2008.

1. supernic

supernic New Member

Hi

I would like to buy a flamenco guitar (not a classical guitar). Do any of the shops in Delhi/NCR sell flamenco guitars? Also the price ranges.

Thanks...

2. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

i thought da nylon string classical guitars r called flamencos

correction: i think flamenco is more of a playing style dan a kind of guitar. it is usually played on a nylon sxtring guitar using the right hand fingers 2 pick da strings

3. supernic

supernic New Member

I found from the net that flamenco guitars are made of a different type of wood... they are smaller and lighter than nylon guitars and the sound produced is louder but of short duration....

4. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

:think: :shock: :nw:

5. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

heyyy!!
    So wonderful to have found someone who shares an interest in flamenco.
    Yes, flamenco is a kind of music originating in Spain, comprising of guitars and dance-forms. It is a very lively type of music, and has a lot of rhythm to it.

As to the original question, I haven't found a decent flamenco-suited guitar here. My friend had bought one when he'd visited Portugal, and the wood used is not available in India (or that's what he said to me). So best of luck with your search, and if you do come across something, let me know too

Trivia : Some forms of flamenco music are played with the guitarists standing only on one leg. :)

6. supernic

supernic New Member

I finally bought a classical guitar

Yamaha CG 101 A for Rs. 8500. The strings are very loose (compared to an acoustic) and the sound volume is also much lower. However, finger picking on it is very easy due to the nylon strings. The fret board is 2 inches thick at the nut, so complicated fingerings are much easier.

It is smaller in size and light so easier to play.

It feels good! :)

Attached Files:

7. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

Flamenco guitars usually have a very wide fret-board. Precisely because they are made for finger-picking patterns. You will find playing chords quite tough on those guitars. Be warned. These guitars are not made for strumming Am,G,C...

The body size is smaller than a dreadnought or a Jumbo.

The sound volume is lower again because of the size of the body, as well as the nylon strings. These guitars seem to have "dead-frets" all over the fret-board. Since they are made for picking, it's bound to be. However, I believe the higher frets should have decent sustain.

8. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member