guitar string snapped

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by debangan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. debangan

debangan New Member

hey guys,yesterday while tuning my guitar,my 3rd string snapped.i perhaps stretched it a bit too much.is it normal or was there some problem with my tuning?my current strings were 7 months old.pls reply

2. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

yeah you probably tightened it beyond its elastic limit. make sure you don't go above the note you wanna tune it to. dont think 7 month old strings should be more fragile tho

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

There is only one way to check whether you are tuned high - by actually comparing it with actual notes.
    If you have internet (of course you have, your post/thread is an evidence) - please search for online guitar tuner.

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Lot's of people snap their 3rd string while tuning. Check that you're tuning to the right note. Also check your nut and saddle, a sharp edge could be the cause.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Actually, you know the 3rd string (unwound) of an electric guitar is, by design, screwed up.

6. Amitesh1994

Amitesh1994 New Member

Check your string ...... maybe it was too rusted and hence it snapped off ....... or you may have tuned it to a higher note

7. debangan

debangan New Member

the other strings were perfectly on tune(when i checked on the internet) so theres no way i could hav tuned this one higher than its usual note cause i follow the comparing method(strumming the 5th fret of a string and checking with the lower string).so dnt knw wat caused it! :-( anyway,thanks guys....