Guitar plectrum or fingers???

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by nyk_nikhil, May 4, 2006.

1. nyk_nikhil

nyk_nikhil New Member

i jst wanna knw dat is playing guitar wid ur fingers is kool??? actually my teacher has askd me 2 play my guitar wid fingers(using nails)...he hs given me sum xrcises also.....nd he said use plec 4 strumming only and fingers for leads or tabs........

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Your teacher is an idiot. Are you living in Calcutta and learning from Calcutta School of Music by any chance?

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

it all depends on whatever u find comfortable and easy!
    whats "kool"..?? :shock:

there is no fixed rule..ok? u can play leads with finger as well as plectrum and same is with strumming, u can strum with ur fingers as well as ur plectrum..as i said there whichever way u find urself comfy wid!

i wouldnt say that ur teacher is a moron but he is forcing u to adopt his own style.

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Maybe your teacher is tlking about classical lead
    Classical guitar ususally involves a lot of fingerpicking
    For most rock solos using a plec would be easier
    And i dont think power chords are playable with finger

5. nyk_nikhil

nyk_nikhil New Member

yup....hes teachin me classical 2.... he says it will help me in mah control ovr guitar

6. nyk_nikhil

nyk_nikhil New Member

no bjr m not livin in calcutta.....i liv in new delhi

7. manoj2103

manoj2103 New Member

hi

hey bro
    beleave me ur teacher is indeed kool
    indian classical is the best way to improve ur fing so do wat he is saying

8. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

well, there is a particular "feel" to fingerpicking and a particular "feel" when u play it with a pick....fingerpicking has a "classical feel" and pick has a "rockish feel"
    so,u cant compare them, or say which one is better.....it is a matter of choice....
    and why is it that u can either play with your fingers or with the pick????
    cant u do both?that is the most practical solution:beer:
    i usually play leads with a pick but i am working on fingerpicking......

9. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

I play completely using fingers (ah..can't remembered when was the last time I used plectrum). I dont see any problem with that at all. Using fingers give me more control on timing and pace that I may want.

10. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I raerly use a pick. I somehow fell uncomfortable with them. Some years back during a Jam up the basssit told me, I would ruin my playing style by not using a pleck, I got worried, but my buddy who is any day better then me told me dont listen to him do what you are comfortable with, and stick to it. May be that bassist was right, as I know I dont play great today. But I know I still dont like using a pleck, I got some plecks and still keep buying them off and on but hardly use them, and use them only for playing Chords or stumming .
    But hey do your own thing. If you are learning Classical guitar you need to use your fingers. And your Guitar Teacher is NOT AN IDIOT

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

By the way Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler dont use plecks, Also Carlos Santana does not use a pleck all the time.

12. limaj_daas

limaj_daas Guitar Pro Maniac

Some of steve vai's songs such as tender surrender involve a lot of finger picking. Btw, Clapton is also a finger picker. Finger picking gives a smoother edge to each note. But the pick is more like a lightning bolt. Can strike hard n' fast. And sound is short and goes wide n' far.

13. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Use fingers pretty much all the time..find it easier to play; more flexibility and control. Picks and i dnt have a good rappo. But sometimes, when ive got my nails grown or something id rather use the tiny things.

MORAL: use fingers...:)

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I can't believe this thread is as ignorant as it is. There is a difference between knowing only how to play with your fingers and knowing both styles and choosing to play with your fingers.

Anyone who asks you to pick notes using your fingers and play chords with plectrum IS AN IDIOT. He is delibrately misguiding you to suit his own style because he's probably more comfortable teaching the other style.

Each one of them could probably handle their plectrum a lot better than we could probably even dream of.

er....Mark Knopfler?

er...what? We're talking western classical here. Indian classical needs speeds your fingers can't even fathom.

Nikhil, your guitar teacher is misleading you. Classical western and Modern western are two different styles which are taught in two different ways. Learning one of them first will not give you an edge over the other. You have to take care to be technically correct though so I suggest you ask this guy to give you plectrum lessons. He being one of the stuffy classical guys will not let you deviate from technical correctness.

I'm learning Classical Music by the way, just in case someone thought I was biased.

15. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

maybe the way i said it was not right.....
    editing what i said......fingers have a kind of "blunt and raw feel"......and pick has a "sharp and clear feel."
    try both the styles.....u'll know what i mean.....:beer:

16. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Ok let me make few things clear.
    (1) I dont use a pleck because I dont feel very comfortable with them, its not that I can t use them. I do use them to generate volume while playing however.
    (2) I wont even go to the extend of saying you should use a pleck for this and dont use it for that. Its just my prefrence, for not using a pleck most of the time and I also admit I might be horibbly wrong with my prefrence.
    (3) Many bassist use plecks and they play GREAT music. Now what you realy need to do is learn to play using both technincs. You do need to know how to use both plecks and fingers.

17. dirt_nectar

dirt_nectar New Member

Initially i used to play with fingers ...i also used finger and thumb for strrumming....but with the passage of time i realized you must also be able to use plecks as there are some guitar techniques that u can't learn untill u use plecks for instance shredding in electrical guitar.....same if u want to play true classical u can't do it nicely witout using ur fingers so...try and learn both....no harm

18. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

I prefer playing with fingers.....since my inclination is towards classical style only.....but I've experienced that plecs are better for live performances when the sound system is not that great.