GUitar Maintenance

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Harsh Kumar, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

Someone make a guitar maintenance guide plz on this thread or if theres already one notify me.

2. Harsh Kumar

cmmon ppl i have nowhere else to turn too.

Plz help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

i think it'll make more sense if you post your problem so people can help you with a specific solution, rather than giving vague answers to vague questions

4. Harsh Kumar

ok fair enough

1. How to maintain the shine of the guitar body
    2. How to prevent any kind of damage.
    3. What kinds of conditions to prevent it from getting into
    4. How to get the max yield from it

5. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

1. use soft type of piece of cloth to shine it + some extra subs no water
    2.dont throw it against ur wall for special effects n special modification to its shape
    3.dont drink n play u may spill liquid on it
    4.play practise

sorry

6. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

1.You get sophisticated polishes in music stores these days, just ask, otherwise if you don't mind use regular wax polish or that MIN cream and the likes that come around.

2. Get a hard case and a guitar stand and use them.

3. Rain(bad), salty air of a shoreline(very bad), but the worst is : Don't leave your guitar around when you've just fought with your wife!!!. When she wants to smash somthing guess what she's going to pick up ;)

4. You make it sound like farming equipment... PLAY IT!!!

CrYpTiC_angel likes this.
  7. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Answers:
    1. Keep guitar in case, whenever unused. Use dehumidfiers, wax polishes or some high end polish stuff from musical stores. Wipe guitar with soft cloth before putting it back in case every time.
    2. Don't try stunts with your guitar. Avoid banging stuff with it. Keep guitar on stand.
    3. cigarettes, booze, dope, prying neighbours or extra smart freinds, theives.
    4. What you wanna use your guitar for transport or lighting your bedroom??? PLAY the blessed thing, what else???

8. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

1. How to maintain the shine of the guitar body - Do not scratch or rub sand on it. Previous posts are helpful enough
    2. How to prevent any kind of damage. - Simple, Keep it in a case,put case in a huge trunk,bury trunk in backyard. Also try to avoid burning it just cause jimi did it.
    3. What kinds of conditions to prevent it from getting into - Any condition that you dont think it should get into
    4. How to get the max yield from it - Sell it, invest proceeds into mutual funds (least risky investment route)

DISCLAIMER : Do not take the post seriously or think that it was written with contempt. And on another note USE GOOGLE!!

CrYpTiC_angel likes this.
  9. vishalj

vishalj Banned

1. I just use water and tissue paper. Who cares about the shine anyway.
    2. Invest in a nice strap.
    3. Dust is a major concern and friends. My friend always talks about smashing my guitar. He's obviously not allowed in my house.
    4. I shall send my friend over to your house.

10. Harsh Kumar

Thanks a lot ppl. u gave me eyes to da real world. i used my guitar in a lot of ways.

Just turn it with the strings on the floor and it turns into a kitchen table.
    and i wash it with 'surf' in a washing machine.

JJ

11. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Whoa... is that a sense of humour????

12. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

:shock:
    Dude ur screwing ur guitar like anything..
    use a guitar polish please..PLEASE for the love of god, stop using water on it.

13. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

14. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Doc: Who is this Himesh Reshamiya? I was lol on "India's Biggest Rock Star" - do we even have one? :cool:

15. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

harsh man, u are somethin...been telling u from ur first posts...just let me go of one confusion, how come u live in Delhi and study in DPS Aligarh???

16. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Also, with so many posts, when do you get time to play your N2? ;-) Just kidding!

17. vishalj

vishalj Banned

I don't use water on the frets just the body. If that is a bad thing then I shall invest in a bottle of guitar polish.

What about the frets though?

18. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

go by the doc, u'll screw the wood of ur guitar by using water on it, face it, wud u use water to clean ur wooden furniture??? get a dunlop polish for cleaning and if u can then a bottle of dunlop guitar wax for gloss, as for frets, i use dunlop formula 65 fretboard lemon oil for my acoustic and guitar formula 01 and 02 conditioing for my electric fretboard, so u can decide among ne of them(also, 01 and 02 conditioning aint for maple fretboards so if u have one then go for th lemon oil)...

19. Harsh Kumar

who told u i live in delhi, i stay at alg only but since it's only an hour away i am there whenever i want.
    and BTW i was joking only. if you noticed the JJ(Just Joking) sign

I am attaching some manuals so that it can be used by those who really have lunch on the back of their G's. if u know wat i mean.

and did anyone see wrestlemania today. what do u think about pod's performance of "Rey Mysterio" song 'Booyaka'

Attached Files:

the_wizard and sachoo like this.
  20. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Dude what in the world is wrong with you. First you made a comment on using water and a tissue paper and say WHO CARES FOR THE FINISH? WEL I CARE AND MOST PEOPLE I KNOW CARE. Then you say you dont use water on the frets as if, you are doing your guitar a favour by not using water on the fret board. Dont you know what happens to wood if it comes in contact with water !!!! Just wiping your guitar with a soft dry cloth is after evry use is the best thing to do.
    By the way which guitar/ guitars do you have.

Harsh this is waht I suggest..
    Get a good guitar polish... You dont need to use it every time, trust me. But every time you play your guitar just wipe it, with a soft cloth. Just like the others said dont drink and smoke near your guitar and no acrobatics, dont try to modify your guitar in any way or you will damage its reasle value. Your N2 does not have a tone control and "I SUGGEST LEAVE IT LIKE THAT, DONT EVEN THINK OF PUTTING A TONE CONTROL ON IT." And PRACTISE!!!!!!

I have got DAN EARLWINE's Guitar players REPAIR GUIDE... where he gives deatiled instrutions on how to clean your guitar.
    Moderators Am I allowed to post those here? Or would it be violation of COPY rights?