guitar lessons pls !!!

Discussion in 'Bengali Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by notun_guitarist, Dec 9, 2005.

1. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

Teory gulo ebar bojh aar kaje laga.

2. debankan

To te newbies: If you can, try and learn piano or synthesizer. I am not asking you to become a keyboardist, just learn. It is very easy to learn theory on a keyboard as the oc taves are all linearly arrenged.

3. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

good thread.. Really, arindam da can subtitue my guitar teacher. I plan to quit my guitar sir what say people??;)

nIK!:nw:

4. debankan

I hope Arindamda can help you. I personaly don't know any guitar teacher from durgapur.

5. Strat

Strat Floydian

Arindam-da will help you (and us all) over the net regardless you have a teacher or not. But guitar ektu hate dhore shekhanor-o bapar achhe. Amar personally mone hoy tui tarahuro kore tor sir-ke chharis na.

6. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

i am posting some small lessons here to complement arindamda's good work. hope u benefit from them.

7. sayanakaharry

Stretching Exercises Part I

Finger stretching exercises

Okay, I tabbed these exercises straight out of John Petrucci’s guitar tutorial video “Rock Discipline”. These exercises are very effective in increasing finger flexibility and strength, and serve as good warm-up exercises too. I have reaped immense benefits from these and I hope so will you. Good luck.
    As far as possible I’ve tried to mention in detail the verbal instructions Petrucci gives while playing these examples.

First Stretch

In this stretch, you have to place the four fingers of the hand on the four adjacent strings on four consecutive frets, starting from the fourth string tenth fret! That means the first finger on the 10th fret fourth string, the second finger at the 11th fret 3rd string, the third finger at the 12th fret second string and the fourth finger at the 13th fret 1st string. Looks tough, well not at all. Here! For convenience I’ve written the fingers used under the tabs.

Code:
    E-|----------------------------13-
    B-|--------------------12---------
    G-|------------11-----------------
    D-|-----10------------------------
    A-|--------------------------------
    E-|--------------------------------
                1       2       3        4 

Okay now play the first four strings consecutively, don’t strum them, but play them as an arpeggio, so that each note rings out clearly. Watch out for hums, buzzes and rattles. The occurrence of these means you are not fretting all the notes properly. Also, be careful about the pinky. It easily is the weakest finger in an untrained or partly-trained hand and can cause problems, so pay attention to it.

Once you’ve got that, now it’s time to make the first change. Change the positions of the two INSIDE fingers. Now the second finger is on the 11th fret but in the SECOND string and the third finger is on the 12th fret but of the THIRD string. Got it? Here’s the tab.

Code:
    B-|--------------------11---------
    G-|------------12-----------------
                1       3       2        4 
    Was that easy! Once again play the first four strings as an arpeggio and check the notes. When you’ve got that, then the second change is in order. This time change the positions of the two OUTSIDE fingers. Now the first finger is on the 10th fret but in the FIRST string and the fourth finger is on the 13th fret but on the FOURTH string. Here’s the tab.

Code:
    E-|----------------------------10-
    G-|------------12-----------------
    D-|-----13------------------------
                4       3       2        1 
    You know what to do, play the notes to perfection. Then make the third change. Again change the positions of the two INSIDE fingers, so that they are in their original positions, the second finger on the 11th fret of the THIRD string and the third finger on the 12th fret of the SECOND string. It should look like this.

Code:
    E-|----------------------------10-
    D-|-----13------------------------
                4       2       3        1 

What are you waiting for, PLAY! This accomplished the final change. Again change the positions of the two OUTSIDE finger, so that they are in their original positions, the first finger on the 10th fret of the FOURTH string and the fourth finger on the 13th fret of the FIRST string. With this change, you see, that we have come full circle to the very first shape.

Code:
    When you have memorized this pattern and the changes, practice them in order, over and over again, preferably with a metronome or a drum machine. Play the notes as quarter notes. There is no point however in playing this in WILD SPEEDS. The main aim is to facilitate stretching and increase finger dexterity. For that, the clarity of notes is more important than the speed in which they are played.
    Now for the most important thing, the purpose of this little exercise and how to achieve it. When you’ve got all this fluently, start shifting the whole exercise one fret to the left. For example, starting from the 9th fret the first pattern would look like this.

Code:
    E-|----------------------------12-
    G-|------------10-----------------
    D-|-----9-------------------------

Repeat the whole exercise from this position. Then, when you get the hang of this position shift one place more to the left (begin from the 8th fret). Keep doing this. The distance between the frets grow bigger as you go left on the fretboard, so when you’ve reached the 1st fret, you’ll see that you’re doing quite a stretch! Enjoy.

Part II coming up shortly.

8. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

Ok....

Iam supposed to go step by step...anyway...iam too going with SAYAN right at this moment a bit...here is a little finger streching practice....its invented by me....

Code:
    e---2----------(5)---2---------(7)-----------------------------
    B------3---------------3---------------------------------
    G---2----------------2------------------------------(9)--------
    D-----------------------------------------------7----------
    A------------------------------------------5---------------
    E-------------------------------------3--------------------
    & backward.........number in () symbolise..use of PINKY...4th finger.....

9. debankan

Some seriously goodwork going on :beer: :rock:

10. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

Sa re ga ma...chords....

Now all......i hope everybody in the meantime have completed the practices of scales....well now lets move ahead.....

Now we will have a little practice session over chords.......The sequence is....

C/G/C(shape2)/F/G(shape2)/A/B/C(shape3).....this is the chords seq for sa re ga ma pa dha ni sa....in the scale C major.

The TABS for the CHORD shapes.....

Code:
           [B] C          G           C(SHAPE2)             F [/B]  

e-----0---------3--------------3-----------------1-------------
    B-----1---------0--------------5-----------------1-------------
    G-----0---------0--------------5-----------------2-------------
    D-----2---------0--------------5-----------------3--------------
    A-----3---------x--------------x-----------------3-------------
    E-----x---------3--------------x-----------------1-------------

[B]G(SHAPE2)      A            B         C(SHAPE3)[/B]

e----------3------------5---------7-------------8--------------
    B----------3------------5---------7-------------8--------------
    G----------4------------6---------8-------------9--------------
    D----------5------------7---------9------------10--------------
    A----------5------------7---------7-------------8--------------
    E----------3------------5---------7-------------8--------------
    Now practice these in the following 2 patterns...these are called TIME VALUES...i will explain these later.......

1) TV - 1.......3/4.......P(M)...P(C)...P(C)

2) TV - 2.......4/4.......P(Q)...P(Q)...P(Q)...P(Q)

Now numbers in Bracket mean......P...-> Play (strum the strings).......M - > Minim..

C - > Crotchet.....Q - > Quaver......

If these gets high on you...leave it then & there for me with a quote in the thread......BUT THEN RETURN TO YOUR NORMAL STRUMMING PATTERN.....

11. nik_bokacheley

:)let these things continue:)

12. Strat

Strat Floydian

Sayan-er finger stretching exercise-ta agey bajiyechhi. Immensely helpful. But I didn't know it was Petrucci's.

13. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

Well..SAYAN as you can see pal......we expect more & more from you......Everybody can come up with their ideas.....cause i firmly believe that everbody have a different style.....

14. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

A funny warm Up exercise....

Dear all here's a funny warm up exercise for you......

e------------------1------------------------------3---------------------
    B---------------1----1-------------------------3----3-----------------------
    G------------2----------2-------------------4----------4--------------------
    D---------3----------------3-------------5----------------5--------------------
    A------3----------------------3-------5----------------------5-----------
    E---1----------------------------1-3----------------------------3------------

As many of you will know these are F & G chords in Grand BARRE position.You are correct.
    But now practice these as fast as you can (but start off slowly). Get this done forward & backward until you reach the 12th fret & furthermore for 15 times for each session. 1 session = no break for nothing. (Dont attend any GF's phone,teabreak,coffeabreak etc etc).

15. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

bah bah bah bah,,,,,,,

sayan da parle petrucchi-r picking ex dio.........jaer besh........oi alternate picking but skip kore kre

16. sayanakaharry

will post petrucci's alternatepicking exercises soon, as well as some more stuff.

17. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

Sorry All...

Sorry all...leaving IGT for sometime now.....unable to continue my lessons right now....forgive me for that.....got to wake up now.

Bye.Take Care all.

18. nik_bokacheley

Return back soon. We'll miss you. And, be there on time on 25th dec.:)

19. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

bole lav nei, tini boro manus, 25th asben na.........:eek::

20. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

A simple exercise for the Pinky

Hello Guys...

These exercises are great....and will surely help everybody play a lot better...at least these are helping me a lot..

We all know that the 4th finger (Commonly known as the "Pinky") is by far the weakest finger of our hand and can be quite a pain while playing guitar....second to that is our 3rd finger..

This exercise is simple but is immensely helpful...it will help you to strengthen your 3rd finger and your pinky...which in turn will improve your guitar playing a lot...

Here it goes....

e|----------5-6---------------------------------------------5-6-----
    B|-------------5-6-------------------------------------5-6----------
    G|-----------------5-6---------------------------5-6----------------
    D|---------------------5-6-----------------5-6-----------------------
    A|--------------------------5-6------5-6------------------------------
    E|------------------------------5-6------------------------------------

Place your 3rd finger on the 5th fret and your pinky on the sixth fret on the lower e string ( the 6th string)...then keeping your 3rd finger in place , try lifting your pinky and tap on the sixth fret for 8 times....thats the warm up.

Then try doing alternative tappings on the 5th and the 6th fret for atleast 8 times with both the fingers while you play those strings...make sure that the notes are coming out clearly....then move your way up to the 1st string.and then down.....

When you are done with the 5th and 6th frets...move down to the 6th and 7th fret and so on....go down the fretboard as much as you can and then move up again to the 5th and 6th frets....

I am sure that practicing this exercise regularly will strengthen your 3rd finger and your pinky and will help you play a lot better...in terms of both clarity and speed..

Kindly give me your feedbacks on this one..

Thanks a lot..!!
    Probuddha

debankan likes this.