Google Earth deemed as a threat for India

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Apr 3, 2006.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

India's army chief J.J. Singh Monday said high-resolution images of strategic defence facilities on Google Earth posed a danger to national security and the matter would have to be tackled jointly with other countries.

Speaking on the sidelines of a business seminar here, Singh said in reply to a question on the images easily accessible on Google Earth: "To some extent it is dangerous to national security."

He said the images could give "an advantage" to parties that did not have their own defence satellites.

"It is equally dangerous to all countries and will have to be jointly tackled by all countries," Singh added.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1474806.cms

2. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

he is a sardar.

3. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

so?wat does dat hav to do wid it....cant sardars be intelligent???

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

@jamhead, kindly explain why that has anything to do with what we're discussing.

5. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

sure they can... i have known a few myself.

was playing along with popular opinion.

6. d_ist_urb_ed

^Or generalized stereotyping?

7. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

my sadela 98 doesnt allow google earth...and i cant put xp also.....

back on T, yeah, google earth is a threat......i think this was raised before also some few months back......

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

GE is so not a threat....even the best images arent enuf to plan an attack, now if google was providing infra-red imagery now that could be termed as a threat, whatever you see on GE is not much diff from what you would see if you flew over that area .....much ado about nothing.

9. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

yeah...like the million odd sardar jokes wthat are/have been posted in this forum itself

10. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

cm on...i believe people here r beyond making sad jokes like "hes a sardar i.ehes dumb"
    get a life

11. Sanjay Mazumder

Sanjay Mazumder ~..::MASTERMIND::..~

But this is Technology....... Shud we not take advantage of the technology?
    The Govt. shud restrict those places on Google Earth which are sensitive.

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Oh my. You certainly overrate IGT.

jamhead likes this.
  13. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

yeah ty for that advice.

but interestingly, iit-ians arnt beyond that yet tho - best joke award went to the one liner joke "once upon a time there was an intelligent sardar" :p

anyways i'll wash my hands off it. too much misconstruing and witch hunting going on.

OTT, google earth cant do much harm to any one country in particular. its same for everyone. and if it was so dangerous to all, then by now it would have been banned in most countries.

14. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

love tohttps://indianguitartabs.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
    Talking

15. akshay_ankur

akshay_ankur New Member

poor joke jamhead....very poor indeed

16. d_ist_urb_ed

And you are one of them? One of the people who stereotype? I think the jokes pertain to fictional situations, carrying them over into real life represents a solid brand of immaturity.

17. shantanukr

shantanukr yEh DiL mAanGe m0rE

Although Army Chief is saying it as THREAT,

but

the CHIEFS of 'Indian Air Force' and 'Navy' has said that .. its not a threat as IMAGES are old dated, very low on resolution and if others can see our bases we can also see them...

18. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

why are everyone against jamhead's reply? He was on topic saying 'the comment by the army general or whoever is stupid'.
    As saurabh told, similar views/images can be taken by other means.., GE's threat is negligible.

19. d_ist_urb_ed

^Either you've got a blindfold or you choose to ignore the blatantly stereotypical comment about sardars.

20. DJCrunkMix

DJCrunkMix Get crunked up!

There are other sites that provide satellite images (well, not for free like Google Earth).