Good pick ups for strat copy?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ustdjohnny, Feb 15, 2006.

1. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

Hi all,
    I have a Japanese strat copy. Straight sss config. I want to change the pups. Can anyone suggest good replacements easily available in Bombay (I can't import) and how much they would cost?
    Not into humbuckers, want a classic strat sound.
    Suggestions pls?
    Also, can anyone pls enlighten me on the drawbacks of pick-ups becoming microphonic? You can virtually sing through my pick-ups!

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

EMGs if you want cleans...the Gilmour set with mid boost. You'll get it at SB most probably.
    For distort, Quarter Pounders or Texas Specials? I don't think you'll find these in Bombay though.
    Microphonic pickups will feedback unpleasantly at loud volumes..not the nice controlled feedback but that unpleasant howl you hear on mikes.

3. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

Thanks Abhijit, but...

What's SB?? Also, how much would they cost? Also, are Lace Sensors available in Bombay? Not too much into the Gilmour sound. Want more of an SRV or jeff beck sound. big names, but just mean them as sonic directions....

Is that all? Cause I don't have a problem on the feedback front, yet.

4. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

SB Musicals is a shop in Malad who regularly gets stuff from Thailand etc.
    SRV-Texas specials as I said:).
    The problem is that all shops in India only import heavy metal and shredder pickups like EMGs or DiMarzio Evos and Super Distortions since that is what sells.
    Edit: How loudly do you play? At gig volumes?I don't think you get Lace Sensors here btw...or indeed any other worthwile PUs

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Lace Sensor Gold.

6. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

Thanks for the advice guys, but it still leaves me in no pick-up's land.
    @Abhijit: I do play pretty loud at times. But I get what you mean. I guess it's the GT6 (I know, I know, but I can't afford rack mounted stuff) and the amp (a second-hand Fender DX 112) helping me out.
    @Ronnie: Where can I get Lace Sensor Golds in Bombay, man?! Is there someone who would import?