Good guitar under 20K

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sandeep_, Dec 4, 2007.

1. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

:) Drawing inspiration from the "guitar under 30k" I am putting forward a similar question- but for a 20,000 guitar.

I have acutally narrowed down on this one:
    https://www1.shopping.com/xPC-Samick-Samick-Av6

https://www.gregbennettguitars.com/av6.html

Its currently out of stock at all leading stores in mumbai(even bajaao.com) so its waiting time for me :(

Meanwhile, I would like to know from all you experienced gurus if there is any other guitar which you think might be a suit for my budget of 20k?
    I don't have any preference tone wise, as I am yet to discover my tone, but I want a guitar with good sustain..preferably a mahagony body. I dont need a tremelo/whammy bar. My musical taste varies from led zepp,sabbath to maiden,metallica.

2. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

I would suggest you look into the following:

1. Ibanez RG321MH
    2. ESP 100QM

These are worth looking into. But I have heard rave reviews of the AV6

3. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

I did checkout the ESP 100QM, but i was dissapointed. Its not an archtop, a neck with a wide gap from the body,bad pickups and the overall fit n finish looked like taht of a cheap guitar...i mean comparinig to AV6 it frankly doesnt have a remote chance.

Btw how is Ibanez RG-350DX? It has infinity pickups and looks damn gorgeous..its retailing at 24K at bajaoo.com..i could probably stretch my budget if its really worth it.
    https://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG350DX

4. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Its got a trem on it thats not top of the line. That said, I have seen no more problems with it. Ask Alexi abt it, he used to own one.

5. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

Alexi had 170DX i gues???

6. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

No, a 350DX, the white one

7. metalhead

metalhead New Member

Close your eyes and buy Ibanez RG321MH. Its THE best guitar in your budget. I have one and its kicks ass.
    RG321MH has mahagony body, has two humbucker INF pups, really good ones for beginners. People have praised my guitar for its brutal sound, said its exceptional :D and RG321 looks Brutal too.

As far as RG350 and RG370 goes, you don't wanna buy it unless you really wanna/know how to use tremolo. I had same dilemma as yours, but i figured i was not gonna use tremolo as of now.

8. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

NEVER EVER CLOSE YOUR EYES!!!!!

TRY ALL BEFORE YOU BUY(not saying the RG is bad)

9. varun1712

varun1712 New Member

go for the ESP LTD M-100FM......... i find it better than the ibanez and cheaper also, invest the rest of the money in a decent amp and effects......

ultrabot90 likes this.
  10. NoneSoVile

NoneSoVile New Member

Wrong, any only LTD models with the model number 300 and SOME of the 200 models and above are worth investing into, the lower models suffer bad construction quality and poor sounding body woods. The higher the number the better the model. For example The M-100 made of Agathis (a shitty shitty wood) and has stock LTD pickups won't compare to a M-1000 which is made of Alder and comes with either active EMGs or Seymour Duncans.

If the choice were between an ESP 100 (with Agathis as a body wood :lol:) and a basswood body Ibanez RG. I'd definitley go with the RG.

11. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Rg321mh

At Rs 17.5K, I would think the RG321MH would be what you want, especially if you are looking for tone.

I had the RG370DX but found the tremolo more a pain than of use, so sold that cheap and went in for the RG321MH. The same wizardII neck, Infinity pickups, and a very nice coil tap which lets you get 5 play positions out of two humbuckers. You can get decent single coil sounds using the coil tap too. Very versatile guitar, the gunmetal hardware is outstanding, and the weathered black finish is just too cool.

A small correction here, the RG321MH is now Mahogany body. Till 2007 the body used to be basswood, but from 2008 its all mahogany. And despite being mahogany, its pretty light; and being a fixed bridge coupled with mahogany, has monster sustain. So all the more reason to go for that. I would close my eyes and go for it. You can play rockabilly, country, jazz, rock, pop, metal, everything on it, as long as you don't need the tremolo.

12. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

^^^^Long time no post?

13. varun1712

varun1712 New Member

14. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

The tremolos on all the <RG 550 suck. say whatever you may...but yes they do. And the LTDs are quite bad as well. Get the RG321...

15. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

Thanks bhai log..
    The Ibanez 321MH...17.5K hmm..its inside my budget..but isnt it the entry level model for Ibanez? (it retails < $300 in US) But I did like its features:wizard II, infinity pickups,mahagony body, crisp looks and esp the fact tht it doesnt have tht dreaded floyd rose thingy !

But I couldn't, just couldnt help but compare it to the greg bennett AV6..its the top of line guitar by samick, retails over $600 in the US, has rave reviews wit ppl comparing it to the gibson std les paul(yeah the gibsons,and NOT the epiphones), arch-top,quilt maple top(looks goooorgeous), killer sustain...and all this for 18.5K..the only issue would be the fact tht it has 22 frets..

ESP sub 1000 series are not worth it, their fit n finish and sound was joke(even wit the EMGs on)

Its Ibanez 321 MH vs greg bennett AV6...

P.S: I dont knw if this info matters but i have a zoom G@ and a marshall MG15cd

16. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I made a mistake, the mahogany body RG321MH was started in 2007. And its not the entry level, its just cheap cos it does not have a tremolo, add a floyd and it would be 21K. The entry level ones are the GRG and GRX series.

Actually, I like the AV6 as well. With the prices this close, its purely personal now. The tones etc should not differ too much. However, take a look at the weight. LP type bodies are usually heavy. Also, no way something retailing at 600 (INR 24000) in US will sell for 18.5K here with the same spec. Has to be a catch, check that too. One more, resale value for the ibanez will always be higher if you want to sell it later. Its totally up to you now. Suggest you play both and se, sometimes playing just one is enough to decide. The guitar will choose you.

17. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

HELL YEAH! +1 to that.
    ESP LTD M-100FM is the best guitar in that range. Earlier I was looking for a guitar with double humbuckers, LFR bridge, 24 frets...BC Rich Assassin C had clone features...but ESP offers better build quality and has a better reputation in that area than BC Rich*. I'll buy this one as soon as I have the money.
    *It is said that the BC Rich's made outside of America have pathetic build quality, but the ones made in BC Rich Custom Shops are professional-par quality. o.o

18. dinudj4u

dinudj4u New Member

hey guyz need mr bismarks number

hey frnds , please help me with contact details of Mr bismark. m coming india in few days for a month..
    help me ....

please

19. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

The company, Samick, is Korean..so AV6 is made in Korea and i assume its imported straight from there ..The Ibanez, or any other brands on other hand are made in Korea/china/indonesia > exported to USA > then imported to India.That results in high costs.
    Also I have read in many reviews abt Epiphone LP custom retailing in china at US$150 ,while the same costs $600 in US.The gibsons(made in US),on the other hand, cost twice in china as in US .. thts how the economics is working in the case of AV6 too, i guess :)

Tht said, I definitely am going to play these 2 babies,compare them and then take the decision.

BTW, I am also contemplating the possibility of getting the RG321MH from USA thru someone..does someone know how would this can be worked out?

20. varun1712

varun1712 New Member

NO OFFENCE BUT : waaaaaaaaahahahahahahha zOMG !!!! 'dreaded floyd rose thingy' !!!!! dude !!

Dude seriously dun say such things without trying one........

MG15cd wuld make both the guitars sound shit........ actually !!!

Therefore get the ESP an put the FREEKIN MONEY in a freekin better AMP !!! AMP makes the maximum difference on your sound !!!

[/QUOTE]