givson woth a gud pickup

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sumit, Jan 22, 2006.

1. sumit

sumit HaNdS uPPP!!

guys if i buy a 3k givson or less..........and cchange the pickup(a good one). Will that give me a good response....will that sound good???? how much will a new gud pickup cost??will that be cost effective???
    :nw: :nw: :nw:

2. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

hey man,
    first of all..buyin a givson i would say isnt the way to go ...their guitars arent gud at all.and the wood they use is very cheap..so even if u get the best pickups in the world ( even dimarzios or seymour duncans) the tone of ur guitar will still be pathetic ...cuz the wood plays an important role in the sound of your guitar

so dont go for a givson..get an ibanez or a yamaha. it aint very expensive .u get a gud ibanez guitar for 10-12k ..and believe me they wil sound much better than the givsons anyday !

but if u stil goin for the givson and gettin new pups ...the pickups cost from 1000-5000 bux per pickup( humbuckers) .and buyin im depends on ur playin style ..wat kinda music do u play ?

for metal n rock - seymour duncan
    for blues n jazz - dimarzio

3. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

its better to get an imported axe. a givson will be a sore disappointment. :)

or else have one custom made. thats a very good solution.

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Dude. Where did you get this kind of idea. Would you call DiMarzio Evolution. Steve's Special, etc.. as Blues / Jazz pickup. And would you call a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover as a Metal Pickup. These are just two companies making a variety of pickup for different styles. Dont mislead on things you dont know about. Somebody on the other end is about to spend some hard saved money.

5. vish_rocks

vish_rocks New Member

Sumit let me give you a simple advice. givson is good for practicing as a begginer.

I dont say that they are bad but think about this. pick-ups dont collect sound, they simply amplify what is being provided by the box the are installed in. that means it depends on your guitar what it gives your pick-up to really pickup. so a 3k givson( with a round hole) is better than a 2k givson ( thin with f-holes) sound wise . and i would say that a Signature-5k would be better than a givson 3k . beyond that its your budget and your choice.

do remember this a good pickup can not change a bad guitar but for a begginer and even for simple stage performances a 3k givson is pretty much ok with any damn pick-up.

(that does remind me of one thing what are you using right now??)

as far as the prices go this the cheapest option available. but just dont surrender to price its all about music ( more than life for some) .

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

@vish_rocks: I think you are referring to acoustic guitars. Your statement is not true for electric guitars with magnetic pickups.

7. vish_rocks

vish_rocks New Member

@death you make me laugh . just where in this world would one find an electric guitar within 3000 rupees . come on man ofcourse i am talking about acoustic guitars.( in between: i like your i.d. although i am not a strict death metal fan ).

8. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

@vish, come to any guitar store in india, i'll find you a givson worth less than 3000 bucks.
    @whoever started this thread, dude, instead of buying new pups, SAVE and buy a good guitar man, you'd be crazy to spend 3000 bucks on a ****** up givson and then upgrade the pickups only to discover that it's still useless. If you're hell bent on getting a good sound, buy an ibanez, and then upgrade the pups. I'd recommend a umm....DiMarzio X2N for metal.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL Vish, Givson electric are available for Rs 3K; may be you dont stay in India?

Sumit, I have a Gvison, got it for th same amount.
    But the problem is not just limited to the pickups, the neck, fingerboard, tone and volume potentiometer, frets, nut, bridge, tremolo unit - in short everything else is also kinda screwed up.

I bought that guitar coz I knew I will buy a better one after a while (which I have already done :)
    If this is your final guitar, dont do it.
    Dont take a Givson.

Ibanez is overrated, you wil just be paying a huge price for a normal, assembly line mass produced object.

10. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Guys he is looking for some 3k + 1 k sort of thing .. and ppl r suggesting custom made !!! It will cost some 8k atleast ...

So dood .. if u want something for 3 k .. givson is the best buy ... and get some dimarzio pickup .. It should help .. the pickups will cost some 700 + 700 bucks ... So ur total thing will be 4400 rs ......

I think that should be a good deal .. for that money this is the best u can get .. Ive seen givson with dimarzio pickups .. its ok .. managable ... once u have more cash u can always dispose it and get a better one ... or get a custom made and put these pickups there ... simple ...... guys will be ready to buy ur givson for 2k after few yrs ...

11. ronnieanand

And Nanda, where did you see a DiMarzio for Rs.700. :aggre: :mad: :annoyed: Please order 50 pickups for me. I am willing to invest so much on that. I got mine for about 3 to 3.5K each.

12. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

sorry ... mistake !!!!!

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I so wish Nanda was right!!

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    Same here.

Hey has anyone played with "high-end" Givsons?

15. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

r there high end givsons ?????? whts the most exp .. givson ?

16. GANESH RANE

GANESH RANE Member

hey guys i have just bought my first electric guitar.silvertone ss10 citation combo package for 7k. it includes a 20 w amp,digital tuner,a set of strings & a gig bag. do you feel that it is worth

17. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

hey ronnieanand ,

first of all ...i dint mean that dimarzio make only blues/jazz pickups and seymour duncan makes only metal or rock pickups ...i meant for those styles of music ,they make the the best pickups .

and regarding the evolution pickups and the seth lovers by seymour duncan ....first of all the evolution pickups are impossible to find in india ..and those are high output pickups and are a mainly made for chops and heavy soloing which is down right impossible to do on the givson guitars becuz of its horrible wood and pathetic fretboard which will give you no sustain at all !

....and besides ..those pickups give huge amount of feedback ..both the neck and bridge pups ..so i wont suggest any one to buy those pickups and strap them on to givsons especially ..

and considering the fact that i have a evo in the bridge ..i know decently about the range of the pickup...but it is indeed a great pickup if you know how to use it right .!!

and the seth lover pickups from seymour duncan arent that great pickups when compared to dimarzio's PAF classic pickups when it comes to warn and bluesy sounds ...but thats just my feeling after hearing them both ..

and word of thought ..no pickup can beat the EMG 81/85 active pickups for metal if you want a real comparison ..

18. ronnieanand

I would still disagree. Evolution is available in India for sure. I know places in Bombay where it's available and also available online from www.bajaao.com.
    Inspite of bad wood, these pickups can offer great sustain. There are guitars made of fibre glass used by Artists on their live gigs. As far as I have seen, good pickups can even make bad guitars sound good. Playability will be a different issue. I am not suggesting Evos for Givsons though. Good harmonic feedbacks are really cool if you know how to use them. I'd still say that both Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio make pickups for all genre and styles. Seymour Duncan PAF pickups are really world class. DiMarzio PAF Pro is equally good. I use this DiMarzio Norton and DiMarzio PAF Pro in my guitar and my guitar can belt out Metal like crazy even though you mean DiMarzios are not good for Metal.

19. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Thats a great deal dood ......
    where and how did u get it ? Dont tell me u can get that in india !!!!
    but guess the stuff shud be bright sounding and cant be used for death, thrash or metal ...

20. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

hey ronnie ,

ya .its true man..the evolution pickups give infinity sustain..u can hold a note forever with a evo pickup.but the thing is...the sound from your guitar is dependent on your wood and your pickups ..and i disagree with you on the fact that when you strap on good pickups in a horrible guitar ,it wil sound good ...if the wood is bad ..even the best pickups will not help its tone ..maybe you can sustain a note ...but the tone will definetly be lost ..

and regarding the pickup combination you have ..

Sure you may be able to play metal and definetely it will sound good ..but if you had bought a seymour duncan super distortion ( think SH6 ..not sure ) or invader or dimebucker ..
    you would really see how deep and how clean the SD sounds distorted in comparison with your dimarzio combination ...if you had straped on the SD Sh6 on the bridge and kept the PAf pro on the neck ..you would have got a killer tone for metal and rock !!!!

i think ron ,.we have deviated too much from the topic ..and in the bajoo.com site ..i noticed the evolution pickups.never knew their was an indian site for guitars. kinda epensive the prices in that site ..but good to know they have the pickups .

my advice is .dont get a givson ..get a good ibanez or esp ..i noticed a grg170dx on the bajoo.com site ..i think it is a good guitar ..it is about 12.5k...considering the fact that if you get a givson =3k ..and 2 humbuckers ( atleast 3k for decent ones ) ..if il stil come up to 9 grand ...for that you can buy that ibanez guitar for 12.5k and change the pickups later depending on your playing genre ....and you can go that time with either the pickups i suggested or what ronnie suggested ..they are all good pickups ..