Gibson or Epiphone les paul Electric

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cheesy_chester, Oct 7, 2010.

1. cheesy_chester

cheesy_chester New Member

Hi m jst buying my 1st electric after 1 year in acoustic
    i was impressed by Gibson les paul studio bt also found its counterpart Epiphone les pual who's price is 1/3 rd of it(i hv no idea abt its price here in india)
    if u hv exp. with any of dese guitar did gibson thrice price deserves d investment
    i dont want to spend more than 60k on my 1st electric but best quality is my 1st priority
    u can also recc. gud electrics frm yamaha ibanez PRS or taylor etc
    THANX

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

The Gibson is much better than the Epiphone - hence the price difference. What kind of music are you looking to play?

What's more important is that you invest in a good amplifier. The amplifier has the biggest and the final say in your tone and making a good first investment can make all the difference. I would recommend you look at some all-tube amplifiers, 15-30W. (or more if your budget allows for it and your requirements lean that way)

That being said, PRS makes good guitars. Other names you might want to look at are Fender, Washburn, Ibanez, etc. You can get quite a good guitar for ~30-40k with some diligent searching.

3. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

+1, but also, the brand name itself adds a lot in the case of Gibson and Fender.
    +99

bt op liek WUT GENRE U INTERESHTED IN lolz?

4. cheesy_chester

since m new to electric m more intrested in disortion n harmonics kinda sound without adding any extra effects help me out if m wrong n how much i need to spend on best quality ampli

5. thehundredthone

So I take it you'd like to play rock.

It's not the best quality that you need to be worried about but when you have a good budget then you shouldn't skimp on quality.

15W Laney tube amp - Rs. 25700
    https://www.bajaao.com/laney-lc15r-class-valve-guitar-amplifier-with-reverb-p-4447.html

15W Vox tube amp - 37000
    https://www.bajaao.com/custom-ac15c1-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-p-6419.html

40W Marshall tube amp - Rs 38000
    https://www.bajaao.com/marshall-haze-mhz40c-1x12-tube-guitar-amplifier-with-tubes-p-5763.html

15W Orange tube amp - Rs 43000
    https://www.bajaao.com/orange-tiny-terror-combo-speaker-p-6314.html

6. ultrabot90

@hundredth, dude, when you're in that range, just why not buy a...https://www.be3amplifiers.com/ ?

OP's not very experienced so I'd say he name a budget. Cheapest with a good BE3 would be something like
    Avion AV7 ~24k (if he wants a whammy he'd have to buy something pricier)
    or Torino TR4 (forgot price), or some decent Strat/Tele copy (not Squier).
    +
    BE3 Solution 18 Live 1x12 -> 27k (30.5k if a head+cab version is wanted; 40k if he wants a 2x12 head+cab, now that'd be wow @_@ ...kay lets not drift off ;))
    Sorted in ~52k. Pretty nice sounding and should last long too (not only in terms of reliability, but also that it's pretty much non-compromising in everything, for this range).

7. thehundredthone

Because I haven't heard it?

@cheesy_chester: A decent tube amp will cost you around 30k. A good guitar will cost you around 40-50k. Does that budget work for you? If not, then you can maybe look at buying a slightly cheaper guitar, but I'd recommend that when you have the budget, a good amplifier will keep you interested, and playing longer, even if the guitar is somewhat of a compromise.

The Be3 line of amplifiers from the link ultrabot90 has mentioned are hand-made , in India, from quality components. They're supposed to be every bit as good as similar amplifiers by the big names. They're definitely an option worth considering. Again, look at the amplifiers that are rated 15W and above, they'll be able to meet future demands like jamming with a drummer etc.

8. cheesy_chester

my budget already exceeds on gibson les paul studio who's listed price 1500usd bt i'll manage talking abt amplifier i already owned a 30w yamaha wooden sound box can i jst buy a gud ampli without soundbox n connect it to my yammy welh i hv budget abt 30k max

9. cheesy_chester

did any1 knw d indian list price gibson les paul studio n where i can get it bajaao.com already overpriced it

10. ultrabot90

Warning. Warning. Warning, everyone else.

Gibson is out of your league, first off. You're a beginner. Buy decent stuff, good stuff...but PRO level? C'mon. No one should tell you to buy a BS 4k Givson, but to give you an idea for what you're looking for...read this, thoroughly. https://indianguitartabs.com/showpost.php?p=415976&postcount=35

I'd now recommend...
    Amp -> look at the link I gave.
    30k is no problemo at all, you should get a decent startup. Just don't spend any LESS than 10k on an amplifier. Boost the budget by like 3k and you get a nice amp too - Laney Cub 10, for 13k I think. Problem solved in 33k or less.

And to help you,
    Tube amps are...better sounding, more expensive, more heavy...than solid states, digitals/modelers and hybrids. They're the original amplifiers.
    Solid states and modelers are somewhat worse sounding, cheaper, lighter...than tube amps. These are the (relatively) new kids.
    Hybrid amps are bull. ;) ...IMO.

@hundredth and @myself - No recommending BE3s unless someone wants to spend 30k on an amp. :D

11. shrin.herez

shrin.herez New Member

I think he said 30k max. For amplifier....n read out his 1st post....he said....i'm willing to spend 60k for my 1st electric......correct me if i m wrong....

12. cheesy_chester

welh @shrin.herez u got d point right
    @ultrabot90 aprriciate ur point bt now i dream of gibson les paul anythin less dan dat will not satisfy my apetite i only posted bcoz i wanted to knw anythin better dan gibson on same price range bt another important thing earlier which i didnt thought of was an ampli i dont want to end up with a very good guitar and an average ampli dat will ruin my set up so plz suggest

13. thehundredthone

Well the ideal setup for you with that Les Paul will be the Marshall Haze tube amplifier.

But at 30k for the amplifier you can consider the 15W Laney LC15 or the 18W Be3 Solution 18 Live.

The Gibson will be (even more) overpriced in India. If you can bring it down from the USA or find one used here in India that'll probably be the best deal you can get. At $1500 like you quoted it's more like 65-70k, not 60k.

14. ultrabot90

@Cheesy - Read this (more accurately the second page). https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=45603

Just what we all said there too - wanting good quality is fine, but as a beginner you wont be able to appreciate half the good things about the Gibson - all the things which you are, incidentally, spending BIG money on.

(and pardon me if I didn't quite understand your total budget. You have 90k, splitting 60k for guitar and 30k on amp? If that's correct...I'd say split it half-half. 45k will get you an epic amp and an epic guitar (a workhorse guitar, not some flaunt value Gibson). Though I'd say, just save the rest and spend only 40k total, 20-25k for an amp and the rest on guitar.)

15. cheesy_chester

@ultrabot90 thanx