getting consistent in playing the guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by dharmatma, Feb 11, 2005.

1. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

well i had created a thread similar to this when i was newer to igt and was under the username dimebag_dimebag.
    basically my thread was moved from the tips/lessons forum to beginners..
    so im going to save the mods some time..
    ok so im gonna stop my ranting..and come to the point.

ive noticed that im really inconsistent.by this i mean to say that somedays i feel im improving and play with a certain degree of skill..
    and the very next day ..im like wtf..i cant play the stuff i could or im not as good i was yesterday..i know this sounds stupid..
    but i want to get consistently better..i want to be sure that whenever i pick up the guitar i know the skill level i have.
    hoping for some posts from experienced players..
    thanks.

2. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

Hi Dharmatma
    NO it doesn't sound stupid at all.
    Your LEVEL and SKILLS always improve each time you pick the guitar.
    You can divide this into 2 sections:

1) LEVEL & SKILL of PLAYING ABILITY
    2) LEVEL & SKILL of MUSIC UNDERSTANDING / THEORY / EAR TRAINING ABILITY.

And yes sometimes when you pick up the guitar after a long time and try to play a tune that you played some time before, there are chances that some parts u may get stuck, and you never got stuck before!!

Its because, while learning it or playing it earlier, you practiced those parts with more effort and time and got a smooth hand on it.
    But chances are that since you never ever played that kind of stuff again, after some days if you go back to playing that stuff, you will be amazed that you are not able to play it as smoothly as before.

The only way to check your consistency of improvement as well as your stagnation levels is by maybe maintaining a log ??

Actually you dont need to worry about this. Like I said earlier, each time you pick the guitar, trust me you either stay at the same level only OR you learn more. There is no way you can down grade yourself by practicing!!!

3. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

thanks for replying baand..

i am sorry for my earlier post being too vague.

the dexterity and all are fine..i mean i can play the exercises and the stuff i make up at a better level of skill ..coz i play daily.
    i meant while i am improvisin over a backin track or a progression.
    some jams are good while sometimes while jammin over the same backing track i just dont feel it..and i end up playin a lot of bull crap.

4. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@dharmatma...i aint as experienced player as u r...however, frm wat i can understand abt ur problem...i feel its kinda similar to mine. dunno if my suggestion wud sound stupid though 2 rectify such problems i do a bit of warm up before really practising ahead...

sorry, if i didn't get wat u r trying to say....