Geetham-01

Discussion in 'Carnatic Music of South India' started by harini, Mar 14, 2005.

1. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

heheheh...jay's scared of me...

jayswami likes this.
  2. kishmu

kishmu New Member

Jay - another important thing is to know how 8 beats are grouped. Thats where thattu veechu and finger counting come into play. For example u have 3/4 and 6/8 - the second time sig is just num and denom multiplied by 2. How then are these beats different? Its because of grouping. If you group them as 1 & - 2 & - 3 & or 1 -2 -3, then it becomes 3/4. On the other hand if you group them by 1 2 3 - 4 5 6 then it becomes 6/8. You can group them in many number of ways like 1 2 - 3 4 5 6 or 1 2 3 4 - 5 6.

3. kishmu

kishmu New Member

Harini - its not just Jay ;)

Whats the next lesson? Some explanation of taalams?

4. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Kishmu, im an angel..no need to be scared of me.

In order to understand talams, one must learn the alankarams ( which is one of the preliminary lessons a person is taught). i will try and post something on taalams from home tonite..

LOL @ Jay

5. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

OK.. so the chaturashra roopak taalam goes like this.. 12-1234-12-1234 .. Frankly I have no idea about the veechu and laghu thing.. I think thats where I have serious questions.. now by definition "12" is veechu and the following "1234" is laghu.. a veechu contains 2 whole beats and laghu contains 4 whole beats making laghu twice as long as veechu. am I right about that part?

[hide-from-harini]Jay, if you think you were not being funny with your explanation about aadi taalam then you must try harder next time.. I cant stop but laugh!![hide-from-harini]

6. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

................................................................................................

7. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

chichu hope this will clear ur doubts

conisder the verse: "lambodara lagumikara"
    set a metronome at say 90bps and count 1 2 1 2 3 4, one number for each count.
    (basically each beat is of same length no matter how u count)
    then the syllables will fit according to this:

1---2---1---2---3---4
    lam mmm boo ooo daa raa
    1---2---1---2---3---4
    laa guu mii kaa raa aaa

now the way you count this with ur hand is:
    on the first one, tap palm face down
    on 2 sweep palm around and tap back of palm
    on next 1 tap palm face down
    on next 2 tap pinky
    on 3 tap ring finger
    on 4 tap middle finger
    now repeat the song with ur palm tapping (with metronome so u have a reference)

I was taught this song in straight roopakam (which is just 123123 for this u tap palm face down twice (for 1,2) and tap back of palm for 3. thats easier.)

8. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

ananth, thx for the clarification.. I will just tap my foot though ;)

harini, this is the part I was confused with from the beginning...

"Beat of hand flip of hand, and then beat, count two with little finger, three with ring finger and four with middle finger."

I was actually counting two beats with little finger, three beats with ring finger and four with the middle finger which complicated the whole math.. :)

I am done with this lesson. if every one is ok can we move to the next lesson?

9. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

lol@chichu.

ananth, chaturashra jathi rupakam is essentially the same as rupaka talam.
    the reason this jathi is set the the counting this way, is because kids learn this, and are unable to hold the beat for too long. if you reduce the beat from 6 to three, they would need more control rite? tell me if its confusing. there are some songs in rupakam which are slow and complicated that i use this method of talam...nothing wrong in it.

10. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

11. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

u got the timing wrong... and 0 gamakkas u just playing the notes.. man.. i am not a carnatic guy, but i know this.. if u just play notes, u dont get the raaga.. u gotta do the gamakkas right.. I try so hard.. but i never get the gamakkas right.. what ever i play sounds like blues :p:. U didnt even try to modulate.. maybe u didnt know u were supposed to.

12. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

lol jay.. may be I should just sing a lot of gamakaas :) I know it sucks. my purpose was just to figure out this stuff. right now I am at a point where I should be happy if I got the notes right. just let me know how you are trying to play gamakaas. will see if I can work it out.

What has modulation got to do with the stuff I posted? I hope you meant I should have done this with a different note other than C as the starting note in the raaga. if you are talking about modulating within the stuff I have posted then you lost me.. pls explain..

13. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

hehe chichu..
    u dont want to know how jay is trying to play gammakas.
    did the violin piece not help?
    jay, maybe you should take notes and post them here on the gamakkas?

14. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

How to play gamakaas on a guitar? Any input would be helpful..

15. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

well chichu actually your gamakkas wud have to be by ear. Which is probably why in order to play an instrument(Carnatic), it is always better to learn vocal music. I am working with jay to help him understand small gamakkas. ofcourse his a.d.d traits are very annoying! I will try to get him to take notes.

16. the_googly

the_googly New Member

@harini...
    it would be great... if you could record the geetham and upload it... we can understand the rhythm as well as the gamakkas... thanks

17. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

there is a violin version on the first page googly.

check it out

18. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

harini played that

19. chichu9

chichu9 New Member

jay is like simon from american idol :goof:

20. avinkamath

avinkamath New Member

hey guys,
    when i learnedclassical music, i was taught the same geetham in rupaka talam eben though my sir taught me the talam u have mentioned in the Saptatala Alankarangal.. wat abt that? :think: