Gear Gurus : Need help!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by talonflame, May 2, 2011.

1. marooned

marooned New Member

That I'm. "lol" :)

but i'm not the one suggesting cheap tube amps to someone who wants to do "Blues-Rock - Death Metal, and everything in between." on a budget of 30k

Going by your suggestion - "Roland Cube 20x + Washburn X11 + Digitech RP Series Crap Processor"

He's gonna end up with a pretty shitty guitar, processor and amp. I'm merely suggesting that he'd rather get just one of those things right and to me, the most important in that would be the guitar. 30k is not that great a budget for buying equipment in India unless you're looking at used stuff. Tube amps are not the first choice for those looking at versatility on a budget.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. bcrich

bcrich New Member

The most important thing is a guitar? o_O

An amplifier is the most important part of the sound. Top priority should be given to it. Crappy guitar can be played through a great amp but a great guitar must not be played through a crappy amp. Used stuff aren't the first choice, my friend. In a budget of 30k like this, reserving 25k for the guitar would be the biggest mistake. Amp comes first. If the amp is bad, everything else fails..

3. marooned

marooned New Member

i didn't say that. Guitar, amp, effects everything is important. i don't particularly enjoy playing crap guitars and hence my preference towards sorting that out first. Also, a guitar is what you will play all the time - at home, jams, gigs. Amps? i doubt how many actually carry their own amps to gigs or jams and hence i mentioned "especially if you rent a jam place". Amps are just as important, only that with a processor, it wouldn't make much difference what you're plugging into - amp, headphone, music system. you can get similar sounds off all of them.

Really? this largely depends on the usage scenario and is not a ground rule. if you're a studio musician relying on high end processors or guitar modelling software, do you need an amp?

Also, crappy guitars are a pain in the ass to play. a good guitar "almost plays itself". plus it requires less effort and is less tiring, pushes you to play harder. also, i personally feel that a good guitar is about more than just the sound.. its not about just the difference in tone between a great and a decent guitar - which may not seem much to some.. but the playability is what really makes a huge difference..

in india, you're better off buying used than new if you're on a budget. for that matter anywhere in the world. if you know what you're buying and the seller is genuine, i see no reason to not buy used stuff. some pretty good deals and items in great condition. you can buy better gear at lesser price. i see nothing wrong with that.

the reason i'm saying that is because in that budget, no tube amp is going to do "Blues-Rock - Death Metal, and everything in between." Plus since he will be getting a processor anyways... and most processors, don't rely on the amp for getting their intended sounds out, unless he really has some specific use for an amp.. he could do without it..

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Listen to this guy:
    https://soundcloud.com/sidnair

He has got an Ibanez Prestige (80k) previously he owned a Jackson RR3 and Line6 POD X3 live (30k) but NO amp.. This doesn't make him a crap player.. You'll find more details bout him in the link i guess..He's a musician/producer and he's just 18.

5. bcrich

bcrich New Member

I'm not saying without an amp one becomes a crap player. I'm just saying if the amp isn't good enough, the overall sound is affected and it really can't be covered a lot by a good guitar. Anyways, it's my point of view, I say Amp is more important than guitar, and I'll not play a Prestige through a Stranger no matter if I have a Pod X3 or a crap RP50. I've always owned individual pedals and they depend on what amp you're playing through, so I want the amp to be decent enough, the guitar automatically sounds better.

6. flood

flood New Member

to summarise:

i would recommend - for your needs - that you pick up something like the pod 2.0 or floor pod plus, both going for about $199 on the fiend. get a full-range keyboard amp with at least 50W, a big speaker and an open, hi-fi like sound. a stranger should suffice. that should leave you with a decent amount left your your guitar, perhaps look for a used one. rickkkyrich had an SA for sale, i believe; versatile enough to cover all your needs.

you're welcome.

7. marooned

marooned New Member

maybe you wouldn't but some of them do.. and manage to get some pretty good sounds out of it.. took me a while to find this..

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150109666150979&comments

godin freeway classic > trex mudhoney > stranger amp

well, of course it would sound better through a better amp, but this ain't bad at all. i remember warren once mentioned, long back on gigpad i think.. that if you have good ears and hands, you can get some pretty good tones out of a mexi strat > ds1 > stranger amp.. of course gear choices were limited then but that's the sort of rig i'd still suggest to people starting off...

all said and done, guitar tone is not a byproduct of a specific guitar, amp or effects alone but rather a mix of all of them put together and how they interact with each other.. and for all the flak they get, i feel solid state amps and even stranger amps work quite well with processors and moderate to high gain pedals..

8. bcrich

bcrich New Member

I hate processors. I would prefer individual pedals over them anytime, which reminds me of the Boss PS-6 Harmonist Pedal. Has anyone tried it? I'm planning to buy a pitch shifter pedal under 8k.

9. flood

flood New Member

agree wholeheartedly. still not a fan of stranger, but i've was spoiled early.

10. talonflame

talonflame New Member

Alright, after that rather, enlightening discussion, here is what I've decided/learnt/observed.

1. brich/Pulkit - I am not buying single pedals and a tube amp right now. Get over the single pedal obsession please.
    2. I've found a Zoom G1xn for sale at 3.5 k, second hand. I think I'll get it.

As for the amp, most probably, I'll be getting the Laney LX35R. Sure, using a processor, a Stranger and the Laney might not matter, but the Laney gives me better circuitry and more reliability.

For the guitar, I'm most probably buying the LTD EC 50. I asked a lot of people about it, including some professionals who started out with it, and people are all praise.

EDIT : If there's an emergency scenario where I suddenly have to slash my budget, I'll go with a Washburn X11, or a Jackson JS23 into a Line 6 Spider 30 watt.
    edit no.2 : For all Solid State haters, even Dimebag Darrell used a Solid State professionally. So, they're not crap. They're good for people on a budget.

11. bcrich

bcrich New Member

1. Yes, I have an obsession for individual pedals cause I am bothered about my TONE. If you don't want it, it's ok brotha! Your choice..

2. Are you buying the Zoom from Sidharth of Contradiction band?

12. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Its good that the OP is actually goin for a fixed bridge guitar.
    Good Luck dude.. Its time to make some noise now... Go wake up your neighbours ..

13. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Good luck talonflame! Just buy what you've decided to and practice hard..!

14. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Dude you're copying my rig exactly :p:

15. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Lol, am I? Yes, but only the Danelectro. I bought the 95Q Wah and I was planning to get the Metal Muff from a long time.

16. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Get the metal muff for sure... its very good... Also look out for the barber dirty bomb in case you get a chance to try it out (Which i really doubt).. Also the 95Q is better than the GCB-95.. More control over the tone.. Regarding the sansamp GT2.. i think since you have a tube amp (i remember seeing your signature sometime back sayin BE3 Solution 18) you may not actually need it after the metal muff.. as the GT2 being a tube amp emulator and not only just other distortion pedal.
    So just look out before buying pedals if you actually need it or not.. and copy some pro's rig for that matter.. myself being just a big gearhound.. :p:

17. bcrich

bcrich New Member

I know that. That's why I didn't get a GT2. I am thinking of a getting a power supply, would you suggest me one, under 5k? Also, did you purchase all of your pedals from the US or bought any of them here?

18. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

19. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Did you purchase all of your pedals from US only or some of them here?

20. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

only the DD7 from here...