fundementals of guitars - Bad Habit??

Discussion in 'Pakistani Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by entityp4ever, May 6, 2005.

1. entityp4ever

entityp4ever New Member

Hi! I recently went bac to the fundementals of guitars and i think i developed a bad habit and i need ur opinions. When i play tabs i rest my palm on the strings..something like palm muting..... But on tv i think ive seen alot of people doing that....So is this a matter of personal preference or is this a bad habit??

Pleez post some feedback

2. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

u mean your thumb or your whole palm?if its just your thumb then its supposed to be there. For rock style playing.the thumb is ALWAYS over the top.if u're playing barre chords u can use your thumb to play the first two strings E and A. or u cud barre using your index finger. i'm sure u already know that. khair the idea of the thumb being there is so that u can palm mute any strings u dont need while soloing, plus it makes it easier to play bends!

3. entityp4ever

entityp4ever New Member

I dont quite understand the thumb thing but tell me if this is it cuz this is wat i do...I hope i made sense there......

I basically rest my upper palm area on the strings im not going to use and for the string that i need to use i leave open...so i rest my palm on the strings i dont need and slowly remove it as i need other strings .... I mean i could play fast that way but i am not sure if im right...

4. aeg0

aeg0 Guitarıng Alchemist

^^ Who's to say wts right and wts not.....Whatever works for you, works for you. Play however you want.

5. Orange Guitar

Orange Guitar IGT's ALLROUNDER

it is natural..dont worry...try to put the hand up!

6. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

keeep on practicing

7. entityp4ever

entityp4ever New Member

Thanks guys!

:rockon:

8. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

ur welcome dude\
    keep rocking :rock:

9. kl12

kl12 (Ghost Note)

dont't worry abt the bad habits..well i think that every one has his own style....if u feel comfortable with wht u saying 'bad habit', then dont go for the 'GUD HABIT' ....i have sum such kind of BAD habits as my friends say..but i feel comfortable playin with them so never change my style .i can play sum stuff better than my friends using my BAD habits :p...

10. shak

shak Harrr!

oh its perfectly fine!!!
    i do that myself .. infact it is a good practice not a bad habbit ... it prevents the open strings from making unwanted noise ... keep playing like that ... you are doin fine!

11. entityp4ever

entityp4ever New Member

Sharukh man thanks alot! U know exactly wat i was talking about......
    :rockon: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!