For Piracy MPAA free to search and seize property in Delhi using general warrants ??

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Aug 31, 2005.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

MPAA free to search and seize property in Delhi using general warrants ??

According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the MPA has gotten in the habit of using general warrants to search and seize property in the name of its ongoing anti-piracy campaign. The international version of the Motion Picture Association of America, the MPA claims to be using such warrants in Delhi, India, "to search any premises suspected of containing pirated products, and permits officers to open locked premises without delay." Such warrants are actually illegal in the United States: the fourth ammendment exists specifically to combat the kinds of abuse of search warrants practiced by the British before and during the Revolutionary War.

Why is it necessary to go through international legal loopholes in order to crackdown on DVD piracy? If anyone can come up with any kind of defense of this, I'd like to hear it.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/003943.php

2. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

wtf....kaam dhanda nahi hai kya....good thin its nuthin lik dat in mumbai :beer:

3. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

its this does exists in delhi how long do you think it will take to spread to the rest of the country?

4. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

yup...big concern....esp wen all s/ws i use r pirated....dis sux man...they shud be targetting colleges and other institutions

5. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

what i want to is who the hell allowed this in the first place?

6. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey why PIRACY is bad so no DEFENCE should be suggested .... And its wrong to know that too !!!!

7. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

what was that?

8. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

thats coz anything which is pirated can onli be deemed pirated if u catch while doing the transaction ...

if i have an audio CD and rip it to my comp ... it is not actually piracy ... am doing it for convenience ... and in US (some high court or supreme court) ruling it was passed to be a lega thing ...

however passing such files to someone else is piracy ...
    so if they come n catch ya doing it ... then it is illegal ... but keeping mp3 rips of audio CD is not ...

in this case ... they can raid ya ... and catch ya just coz ya have mp3 ...
    so tell me how can u justify that ???

9. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

what bothers me is this....

10. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Instead of making bloody warrants they should be lowering prices of software and DVD's! Why would you buy something costing loads of bucks when you can get the damn thing for something much much lower?? I can't understand why they don't get this thing into their heads. We don't even have any proper Music Store here (iTunes or MSN), so how are we supposed to get songs cheap? Audio CD's are expensive aren't they? And not all albums are available in stores.

11. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah that is true ... but doesn't bother me ... we have soo many archaic laws and practices in India ... nothing big deal about it ...

12. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

i read this smtime back in a blog...it ws posted by sm ex microsoft marketing guy..

even if they reduce the prices to combat piracy they cannot match the priice of the pirated thing....majority of the people will still continu to buy pirated products....an if this is da case then wats the point of reducing the prices.....

13. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Yes but that doesnt mean we let them make more stupid laws...

14. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yaar the price and everything is justified ... y do u keep forgetting that Indian Incomes are low ... thats y u feel the pinch ...
    these things are made in Countries where incomes and cost of services are high ...
    the ppl there dont think that music or software is expensive ...

it is all the same as for the cars ... u know a person working in US (with average income) can buy a car with only a couple of month's income ...

u think u can do that in india ... ? ... no way ...

so making music cheap is not the thing ... it is not possible at all ...

b.t.w. that is the reason y IT industry is on the average much better income dipenser in India ... coz IT industry deals with international players ...
    same thing if starts happening in India .. most of the IT fellows would be earning peanuts ...

15. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

well wat can we do...we cannot hold a bill frm passing....

btw...do u intend to reach 1500 posts in dis thread :p:

16. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

am sorry to say but it we the asshole Indian public who has elected those legislators ...
    they are represneting us ... and our ideals ... they are corrupt coz we a re corrupt ... coz we are timid ... they are not resolute ... coz we are not resolute ...

they make stupid laws coz they ARE stupid ... coz WE ARE STUPID ...

Mr Neo suddenly u feel the heat .. tell me how many times have you paid income tax? ... do u know where the money taht u are giving is going? ... don't ya feel tath it cuddve been spent better ... and with more VISIBLE results ...

no am not going offtrack ... what am saying is taht all of this is coz WE ARE LIKE THIS ... WE THE PEOPLE ... WE THE INDIAN PUBLIC ...

Addy Pant likes this.
  17. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Hey, you've got a point there. Anyway, if people can't afford the things then you would be expecting piracy, won't you?

18. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah piracy is expected ...
    but not accepted ...

a person does not have sufficient resources ... he will most prob steal ... but that does not justify stealing ...
    although it has to be very clear what exactly is stealing ... which it seems is not in this case ...

19. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

I have paid more tax than you can possibly comprehend, it hurts me to pay for something i know i never got or will get eg: good road, infrastructure, medical care, compensation etc

Ofcourse you can just email the above news to all in ur contact list also cc copy to any reporter you might know, at the least we can say we tried.... ;)

20. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

LOL
    i guess i got a little rush of blood ...

i have not given much IT ... this will be the 3rd year ... and i am shit pained alerady ... not coz i have to part with my income ... but bcoz i know the moeny will be wasted ...

i know this in more depth .. coz i worked in Oil company (where al the duties and customs and taxes are so visible) .. and the way govt has fcuked 'em ... and is now fcuking the ppl/public also ... can u belive that half the money that we pay for gasoline (1/3 for diesel) goes straight to govt's pocket ... and the subsidy on LPG and kero is not made up by the govt ... and taht there are exhorbitant customs duty on crude oil ...
    i was soo effin' pained when i compared the figures to other less developed countries ... and obviously the developed countries ...

i really dunno how our elder generation was sooo casual in this reagards ...
    just have look at US ... the way the politicians get raped in Public forums ...
    in media ... the way every citizen knows that his Tax money is involved everywhere ...

guess it is catching up in India too ... but then we have soo many ppl who are more concerned with their "do waqt ki roti" than anything else in life ...
    and then there are many ppl who have this: "maa ch****ye ... menoo keee?" attitude ...

guess i had a rush of blood ... yeah ...