For first time guitar buyers

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by born2tab, Mar 22, 2007.

1. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

I often come across people creating threads asking which guitar to buy.
    I intend to satisfy the queries of those newbies only who are tryin to buy a guitar for the first time.

Some TIPS are here to help you to make a wise descision, avoid frustration, plus save you time, and money as you search for the just the right instrument to meet your needs. It's very easy to become excited about the possibility of owning a new guitar! However, this can lead to making an impulsive descision which may cause feelings of regret and disappointment in the future.
    #1:

Know what you're looking for.

There are four basic types of guitar:

* ACOUSTIC - The word means “to hear” and refers to an instrument that can be heard without amplification. Acoustic guitars can have either nylon strings or wound steel strings.

* CLASSIC - One of the oldest types of acoustic guitar. It is designed with a wider neck to facilitate finger-picking techniques.

* ELECTRIC - An instrument that needs to have amplification in order to be heard.

* ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC - As the name implies, these guitars can be played with or without amplification.

So, just how much should you be prepared to spend? The good news is that it doesn't need to cost you an arm and a leg! Of course, be sure to keep in mind as a general rule: the better the instrument, the higher the price.

#2:

Buy a guitar that is best suited for the style of music you want to play. Below are some suggestions, but please keep in mind that these are only recommendations. Buying a guitar is a very personal decision, so feel free to think outside the box!

Musical Styles:

* Alternative: any of the 4 basic types are suitable

* Blues: any of the 4 basic types are suitable

* Bluegrass: acoustic steel string, acoustic/electric

* Classical: acoustic nylon string classic guitar

* Country: acoustic steel string, acoustic/electric, or electric

* Fingerstyle: acoustic, acoustic/electric, classic

* Folk: acoustic, or acoustic/electric

* Folk/Rock: any of the 4 basic types are suitable

* Jazz: any of the 4 basic types are suitable

* Ragtime: acoustic, acoustic/electric

* Rock: usually played on an electric

* Metal: electric
    #3:

If you're a beginner, be sure and take advantage of package deals. This will give you an opportunity to see if learning how to play the instrument is something you're going to continue to pursue without spending a lot of money first. Package deals usually offer a guitar and some extra goodies (such as a strap, pics, case, tuner, etc.) at an affordable price.

Like the Java Package deal

* The Java electric guitar, is a fantastic package which provides all the accessories needed to start playing immediately. It includes Java guitar,amp and a processor too in case later u wanna do gigs and stuff.

But i wont recommend this one:p:

#4:

Children and adults with small hands should consider a 1/2 or 3/4 size guitar. Also keep in mind that electric guitars, and nylon-stringed acoustic guitars, are easiest on the fingers.

* The Yamaha CGS102 1/2 size Classical Guitar is a perfect instrument for small hands. Constructed with the beautiful tonal woods and meticulous details of a full-sized Yamaha guitar.

#5:

You will find some safety in sticking with companies that have already established a good reputation for quality merchandise and excellent service. Some well known name-brands which are on the lower end price wise are gb&a, Hobner,Fender , Washburn, Ibanez,and slammer.

#6:

Often people will put their unwanted guitars for sale on consignment at local music stores, so be sure to ask questions about this when you're shopping around.

#7:

Ask music store owners if they are planning to have any upcoming promotional sales. They may offer to put your name on their mailing list so you can stay informed and take advantage of any special offers or discounts they have in the future.

#8:

Look through classified ads and check college campus newspapers and bulletin boards. I found a great deal on a "like new" Yamaha classical guitar this way. Students are often in need of extra money. Because of this they will often sacrifice musical instruments they are no longer using.I sold my Java Strat in such a distress sale.

#9:

Buying a guitar online can be another great way to save money, but always be sure to find out what the company's return policy is. Bajaao.com has a 14 day return policy which should give you enough time to evaluate the guitar and see if it's everything you hoped for. They promise to beat competitor prices, so you can be sure to get a good deal. They also offer a money back guarantee and free shipping on most items, so If you're not fully satisfied with your purchase you can return it or simply exchange the guitar for another one.

#10:

Enter contests that are being promoted online when you have the opportunity to do so. This is a great way to get some free gear if you win. Merchants generally require a valid email address in order to contact the winner and send updates of their products. You can always remove yourself from their email list after the contest is over if you want to.

2. born2tab

I had these tips stored in ma lappy for the past 4 yrs or so..
    so jsut wanted to share the info:)

3. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

A guitar buying tip:

PLEASE GO OUT AND ****IN TRY OUT THE INSTRUMENT... SEE IF IT FITS YOU!

Don't get swayed easily by people, as sometimes, a cheap guitar may just end up being your warmth...

Personal experience hai...

4. born2tab

talking about givson???:p:

By the way seeing u after a long time on igt???where the hell had u been

5. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Nah, not givson as such,

To be more specific, it was a Hobner... lovely guitar, can't still believe it's a Hobner! Turns out that it's around 20 oears old... the wood quality is still great, and it sounds fantastic!

That's beside the point tho...

Yeah, was off posting, but felt the need to gratify myself again

6. geniusoid

geniusoid Acoustic Alchemist

old hobners and givsons sound gr8 man....my givson is 17 yrs old herself and boi does she sound sweeeeet still! [:grin:]

7. born2tab

You guys dint read the post properly...I was indeed encouragin ppl to buy hobners..check out point 5
    I too have a hobner jumbo.
    And man thats the best accoustic i have seen in that price range..
    It even shadows the gb&a and yamaha:p:

8. born2tab

But now the hobner company is split among the brothers..
    So the ma fren who works in a musical store was telling me that nowadys the hobner quality is goin down:think:

9. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yup, what he said is true... dunno bout the split, but yeah, Givson & Hobner -the quality levels are indeed plummeting. Maybe it's a side effect of mass manufacturing, then again, I hope that's not the reason.

What if the trees don't have the wood they used to? Is it an effect of global warming?

(Paranoid)

10. born2tab

:think: nice point

11. scorp

scorp New Member

to buy my first guitar

hi,

i am going to purchase my first acoustic guitar.
    as i dont have much knowledge, i want suggestion regarding which guitar i should buy. my price range is Rs. 3000.
    one more thing, should i buy garanada's or gibson's.
    please give me suggestions...............

12. born2tab

^^^skip both..Go for a gb&a...

13. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

pluto ftw!!!!!

14. born2tab

plutoz accoustic are too feeble.Last weekend I was out trying my hand at the Ibanez GRG series at a guitar world and then there was this gal tryin to decide which guitar to buy.Seeing me she asked my opinion about pluto.I played it and to me it felt as though, the tone was for kids:p:

n e ways the lass loved it:think:
    At last she purchased that one itself.

15. fatbax

fatbax New Member

Go 4 Granada best entry level acoustics.
    They reasonably priced bet 3.5k and 5.5k