Five Point Someone -- Chetan Bhagat

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Nanda, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey guys i read this Novel 2 days back .... From 11 in the night to 7:30 in the morning ... A great book ...

Somendra_guitar you should read this ...

This book is about WHAT NOT TO DO IN IIT ......

Its all about 3 friends who mess up big time in IIT .......

The book starts with a disclaimer, "This is not a book to teach you how to get into IIT or even how to live in college. In fact, it describes how screwed up things can get if you don't think straight."

Three hostelmates - Alok, Hari and Ryan get off to a bad start in IIT - they screw up the first class quiz. And while they try to make amends, things only get worse. It takes them a while to realize: If you try and screw with the IIT system, it comes back to double screw you. Before they know it, they are at the lowest echelons of IIT society. They have a five-point-something GPA out of ten, ranking near the end of their class. This GPA is a tattoo that will remain with them, and come in the way of anything else that matters - their friendship, their future, their love life. While the world expects IITians to conquer the world, these guys are struggling to survive.

Will they make it? Do underperformers have a right to live? Can they show that they are not just a five-point-somebody but a five-point-someone?

And guys in or from IITs .... if you have read this book plz give ur feedback...

Mudit Malhotra likes this.
  2. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I found it a bit filmy...but otherwise enjoyable and of course I could relate to it bigtime:)
    I think Dennis can provide great feedback as this story is based in IITD....
    Damn you!..now I have to read it again....;):aggre:

3. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

I reading the book..:)..I issued it from my library 3 weeks ago..and have read only 39 pages..:)..I loved that part..;).."bare foot on metal"..or something like that..:)
    I'll soon post my feedbacks..:)

Hey, you know what..I too thaught of opeing a thread regarding this..:eek::

4. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

this book's not about "WHAT NOT TO DO IN IIT" ..
    u didnt catch the philosophy.. did ya ?

5. Mudit Malhotra

Mudit Malhotra BLOODY FINGERED

yeah thats my thread first of all REPS for starter man i hv gone thru this book many times man this book is real gud but the author has presented as if its real though it says some parts are fictitious ,.,., man i find most of part fictitious ,.,.,.but stillll this book i los awsome man if chetan bhagat was on IGT i wud hav given him all my 120000 poits lol
    but STILL THIS BOOK IS WORTH READIN MAN JUS FEW PAGES rite its real short novel
    and i was assuming that all this is happenin to me lol i was empathysysing my self into it
    it hass all masala and that real touch that forces u to believe and all this is beautifully packed that i wasnt able to stop my self i completed book in jus 1.5 days
    u all need to read this book

and its not evn costly :p JUS 90 BUX!!!!!!

ENJOY AND COMMENTS ARE AWAITED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mudit Malhotra

@nemo man u wanna kno abt the books or just the sumarry
    tell me i`ll love to talk bout this book ;)

7. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

hey i read it 1 year back itself :cool:
    its a book which many can relate to .. :)

8. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Guys even i agree its sort of Filmish ..... But its not too long since i stopped being a student to call them kids ....... But I think i am Old enough to call 1st Sem guys Kids....

The 1st Sem guys have a diffrent opinion about college ... They see lots of movies on College and try to make their life filmish ... Stuff like my friends and Gang will obviously be there ...... Even i had that sort of stuff in my 1st Sem we had a really Huge gamng of 40 odd ..... From diffrent classes who roamed around together the whole day ...... But soon as guys goting their Branches they formed a shell around their own classmates .... That led to guys always telling we r no more wht v were and stuffs like that .....

On the whole College was fun.....

9. ajax_ds

ajax_ds STRIDER

the book is pretty crappy actually..... same-old story line.... after being halfway through the book you can pretty much predict what is gonna happen.... & dosen't leave u with a refreshing taste....

10. ats

ats Oldie

I read this book in my final year in college (a time when everything is "maya") ...... i can relate to this book as much as I can relate to my 4 years in college ...... we were a group of 3 who used to hang out and do stupid things together .... I was "Hari" (though not fat).. another can be compared to "Ryan" (handsome, smart, good talker and rich) and the third one was a clone of "Alok" (the whining, the poverty etc etc) ...... everything in the book is possibly true but exaggerated ...... We were not exactly a 5 point someone ..but a 6 point someone (thats equally bad in my college) ..... in my third year we was almost rusticated because we had tried to cheat in a semester examination ...... (3 people had 3 different chits regarding 3 different parts of the course) ..... and of course all the other stuff .. the late night "bhaat" sessions .. the movies ... the sleeping in one room (on one bed at times !!) .. the liquor, the grass, the roof of chemical engg ........... the only stuff not present is the suicide thing ... and of course ...... "neha" ..... if I had a "neha" in my college .. I would have flunked a year just to stay with her ..... reading the book I just fell in love with the character ....... unfortunately the head of my department had a daughter who was married and settled in US. :annoyed:

sigh...................... :eek:: :eek:: :eek:: :eek::

Ats

11. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

ahh..i havent read the book,, anybody got an ebook??
    yeah..and never try to fk with the system, the system will fk u....bad!

and nanda..i agree with what u say man...the 1st year was the best year.,no doubt, new experiences,...now in the 5th everything is so stale.

12. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

we were waiting for your comment dennis......i saw your resume

13. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Bhai dennis kya baat kar rahe ho..how is first year the best?Enginering Drawing, workshop,Physics and Chemistry lab,Engineering design..yuck!!..:p:...2nd and 3rd years are the best....

14. jhinga_lala

jhinga_lala New Member

final year is the best ... especially if you have a job :D

15. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

@jhinga yeah

16. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

For Me 8th sem was prettu cool ..... Had major Probs ..... (Had to Quit my rented house ... Coz i wanted the House deposit money... To pay for my friends Motherboard and Proccesor which i had burnt.....) ..... So Had to live in a dozen of places ... as i had no place of mine ...
    Joblesssort of life .... Helping the ppl i stayed with , with their Projects and studies......My Bike after 4 years of running without an Oil change had become whooo ... U want me to explain .... So had to keep taking others bikes.... Finally i banged in for the third time in my life (Of 8 yrs of riding!!) .... Had to pay for bike repairs ...

But forgeting the bad stuffs ...... It was a nice jobless life where i played AOE from morning till Night ...(Or Night till Morning)......

17. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@nebu- yeah ...engineering drawing was fun, i wonder how wud have gotten through those assignments without the balti tepo method :D
    but other than that all i can say is that the courses too were a tad mroe interesting than those i have got right now...chemical engg sucks

18. Mudit Malhotra

Is This Engineer`s Thread Lol
    I Aint Any Engg,,, But Stil I M @#$%^*&^$ Lol

19. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey dennis ...
    it will keep on sucking ... long after u finish it ...

B-lieve me ...

anyway we used to call it fraud branch :)

whaddaya say?

20. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Elec courses get tougher and pretty interesting as you go on..but unfortunately the IITM elec profs have a penchant for'cupping':mad:..