Fingerpicking/Plectrum Switch Trick

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by death_metal_fan, Apr 8, 2005.

1. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Ever tried playing the intros to either The Unforgiven or Nothing Else Matters and annoyed how playing alone (means you have to pick certain parts and fingerpick others) and hate that little pause you have to take to pick up the plectrum and drop it off again?

Here's a trick that will help you efficiently and surprisingly quickly switch between the two.

Hold the pick between your index and middle fingers about halfway up your fingers (near the small knuckles on the sides of your fingers). That will allow you to fingerpick using your last 3 fingers and not drop the pick. Then when you want to use the pick do this:

1) Place your thumb over the edge of the pick which is protruding.

2) Quickly move your index finger under the pick into the position which you normally hold.

3) Using your middle finger as a slide for the pick and move it down all the while adjusting your thumb and index finger to get the perfect picking grip.

To get back to fingerpicking just reverse these directions. It's not really as hard as it sounds. With some practice you can get really deft at this and make it seem effortless.

Happy switching!

Subhro likes this.
  2. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

thx a lot.. even tho i havent read this article.. i tried to post the same query a couple of days back but somehow the thread wudnt display itself on the page.

3. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hey... freakin thanks for this man...

I was tryin out Unforgiven yest.. and this dammit works.!!!!

4. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

wow! cool post.. ws thinkin of postin da same query like nemo said.. thnx n reps 4 u.

5. ambuj

ambuj Pro Tabber

I'm not getting this part.. could you post a pic please?

6. death_metal_fan

I will when I get home.

7. aPocH

aPocH New Member

Hi dmf,

I'm having prblms fingerpicking, somehow i just can't get it sound right. There is a lot of buzzing when i try to finger pick the string. Can you give me some tips on fingerpicking. Like what should be the postion of the hand, what part of the finger should be used for picking, etc.

Hope u find some time for me, thanks in advance

8. death_metal_fan

type "guitar fingerpicking tutorials" in Google.

9. aPocH

aPocH New Member

thanks for the suggestion!