File aint getting deleted

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by dennis, Mar 11, 2005.

1. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Well i got this petrucci video(rock discipline ) in my hard drive and it aint getting deleted. When I simply press delete it says that the file is being used by another program.Same when I press shift del. Ive restarted the comp many times and always i get this same ****. Any solutions, im +ve that I have no programs running which may be using the file.

2. silent_dragon

silent_dragon Immortal guitarist

try deleting it fron DOS.

3. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

in the task manager instead of "applications" try looking under "processes" .....
    for if some associated process is running ? and then kill that process.

4. silent_dragon

u can even try with the safe mode option.

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@madhura...tried that
    @silent dragon- the prob is that the files got a freakin long name with spaces, but when i type in the name it just reads till the space and says file no found
    for eg. the files name is rock discipline
    so I say- del rock discipline
    it say, c:\rock not found

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Trivial solution if u have dual boot..u can delete it while on linux....

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

no nebu- no linux here

8. Venus

Venus New Member

so hang on...where is this file sitting???? on ur desktop?

9. silent_dragon

no no. u hav to know sumthing that in dos a file may hav a slightly different name with nos, tilde(~) etc. so u type c:\>dir and find out what the name of the file in DOS is and then use the delete command with that DOS name of the file.

10. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

go in DOS..... do a DIR in the directory where the file is located.... DOS file names r truncated to allow only 13 byte long entries....so its natuarl that it wont support file name with spaces....it's probably truncated to other name with 7th and 8th characters usually truncated to "~1"......

for example......
    So if ur file name is "what the heck.mpg" ....it is truncated to "whatth~1.mpg".....am i getting thru....?

find that name and then delete it....DOS usually shows full file name description beside the truncated name when u do dir/p.....that might be used to correctly identify the file.

usually this error happens when some media player or windows is indexing ur media library or might be a good old virus/spyware...hehe...:) try to identify the suspected processes and stop them....if u don't want DOS hassels.

11. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

no dude this is what dos is telling me, i tried that yaar. It tells me the whole line,very weird.

12. silent_dragon

just tell me what dos is telling u.

13. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

do 1 thing.. see if u can rename tht file 2 a short filename.. say 123 or 12 etc.. then try n delete it.
    i got rid of a file in tht fashion...

if thts not possible... while u reboot ur system... go 2 da Command prompt/Safe mode with command prompt and delete it.. try wht erindir said... 123 45 6789.mpg to 123456~1.mpg

14. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

i dont think "~" in name will make a diff.
    whatever,
    dennis
    Try going to a command prompt and use

attrib -r -s -h filename\*.* /s

use this if u wanna delete dir.
    rd directoryname /s/q

15. light_of_erindi

that was smart!!!...................

16. silent_dragon

hey didn't u try deleting it from the Safe mode option.

17. light_of_erindi

One thing......don't use DOS prompt of windows ....If it ain't getting deleted from Windows.....it won't from DOS box....boot into DOS and then do this stuff.

18. silent_dragon

yes that is true i thought u tried doing it that way dennise!!wasn't it???

19. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Most probably the file is corrupted, you will be able to delete it through dos. You can also try cut pasting the file to recycle bin and then emptying the bin.

20. silent_dragon

try safe mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!