Fat Strat????? Need help here

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cronix, May 1, 2006.

1. cronix

cronix New Member

hey guys i am a beginner at electric guitars..... could anyone tell me the difference between fat strat and normal strat..... also please explain about pickups and term such as humbucker, S-S-H etc..... Need help here!!!

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

A fat strat has a Humbucker in the bridge instead of a single coil. A normal strat has three single coil pickups. In general Single coils have a thinner, brighter Punchy tone, great for clean chord work in the neck posion. Humbukers have a smooth,warm thicker tone great for Lead work in the Bridge. But these are not hard and fast rules. Hendrix, Blackmore, all used sthree single coil equiped strats for most of the time. And players like Slash,Santana, Joe Sat Kirk Hammet, Eddie Van Hallen have used Humbukers for most of the time.

3. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Generally, if you want to play Blues, u should go for normal Strat.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah but Fat strat will give him more tonal choices.

Besides, if the humbucker has the split coil tapping, he can switch only one pikcup of the humbucker making it single coil.

That means he will have advantage of having both humbucker and single coil on same guitar.

5. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Yes but it is only "GENERALY " speaking and that to it it applies to only if you want a BLUES STRAT TONE like Buddy Guy, or the likes. Many Blues players prefer a warmer tone in the bridge or a warm tone from both bridge and neck. Depends on what kind of tone you are looking for.

6. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

what strat do i have?

i have two humbuckers and one single:eek::

7. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I play blues and I have One humbuker and a single coil. I rarly touch the single coil. What i am trying to say is it all depends on your tonal prefrence.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yours is HSH most prob.
    Givson or GB&A Strat if I can guess correctly.

Stock Strats from Fender are either SSS or HSS.

9. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I peronaly prefer A double fat start, followed by Hum in the bridge and single coil in the neck or just single bridge humbucker

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Single Coils have much sharper attack and cutting tone... You actually need a lot of balls to play single coils.. If your playing is clumsy stick to humbuckers..

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

+ 1, Thats why i dont like Single coils in the bridge

12. ronnieanand

I want to move to single coils in the bridge. I tried this Lace Sensors Gold which I have in my Strat and they are vintage pickups. Maybe someday I will change them to Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder. Playing with single coils improves the guitar skills..

13. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

Gb&A>>>>>>wt do u call it??

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I call it Electric Guitar.
    :dance:

15. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

^^i meant does it fall into the fat strat category or wt???

16. cronix

cronix New Member

Hey which is good for rock and metal.... fat strat or normal one?

17. cronix

cronix New Member

hey which is good for metal and rock? fat strat or normal? and is the stratocaster in any way good for metal?

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Why dont you check out for yourself?

Personally I like single coils for Metal. It gives razor sharp tone.
    Hummmer is find preferable for hard-rock fat tone.

19. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

for Metal A fat strat, or a double fat strat.
    I like single coils but not in the bridge, except for certain aplications. I dont like the thin sharp trebely tone they have. But yes they work very well for some applications. I like them in the neck. In the neck they give a clear tone, for playing chord work, which is difficult to get with most humbuckers.
    Two of my close friends own very good Strat copies, and I admit,that the single coil in the bridge sounds nice, but when I compare it to the tone of a bridge humbucker I like the humbucker better. On a S-s-s guitar I prefer using the bridge and middle together rather then using just the bridge. But yes to NAIL those DEEP PURPLE tones, and like tones STRATs the WAY.
    You can also take a fat strat and use a split switch to split the humbucker!

20. ronnieanand

To nail a Deep Purple tone, it's much better to go with Humbuckers. Blackmore has a thick muscular tone which not easy to get in Strats not even with a Ritchie Blackmore Signature Strat with it's stock Lace Sensor Gold Pickups. Blackmore uses Quarter Pound in his Strat which gives a humbucky tone even though it's a proper single coil. Surprisingly Blackmore never uses Lace Sensor Gold Pickups even though his Signature Strat features that. Lace Sensor Gold is a Vintage Pickup and Blackmore's Quarter Pound is one of the hottest single coils by Seymour Duncan.