Explain various styles of playing

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by kordz_player, Feb 3, 2006.

1. kordz_player

kordz_player New Member

Ppl on IGT,

One thing I wonder and that is the various styles of playing only one instrument.

Can any one explain me the difference between playing various styles, such as

1. Folk
    2. Pop
    3. Jazz
    4. Bass

I don't know how many to name more.

How could I know what sort of guitar do I play. For your information I have a jumbo acoustic and I play chords of hindi film songs.

Let me know the fact.

2. kordz_player

kordz_player New Member

This is very interesting and important

Ya dudes it is very important question, some one please reply yaar....

:dance:

3. flyingbird

flyingbird New Member

hey friends i also want to know this
    what is difference between all this

4. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

5. guitar_guru666

guitar_guru666 New Member

The important distinction to make first of all is between different genres and different styles of playing of these genres on the guitar. Jazz as a genre wud be very hard to describe fully but playing jazz on guitar usually involves being familiar with complicated chords and weird time signatures(see my post below). Bass is a type of low pitched guitar with four strings that can be used in many styles. Pop is usually played with energy and simple chords and melodies. Another style popular on guitar is funk where special chords(7th and 9th chords),and rhythms are used. If anyone wants links to further explanations more info please PM me.

Sri

6. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

The first three are different musical genres.

Bass is a musical instrument. I guess thats the obvious difference.

7. guitar_guru666

amit,

The gist of dat article is that Jazz is basically a style invented by african american negroes in america. Swing rhythm is used and call and response basically means one instrument copies another one at times. Sometimes some notes that are out of key and wouldnt normally be played with the backing music are used. If you want to know more about jazz on the guitar check out this site: www.jazzguitar.com
    Getting familiar with jazz chords is useful for advanced chord knowledge.

Sri

8. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

if its just a style, does it mean that it use standard tuning...440 hz? or do one have to tune standard in some different way?

9. guitar_guru666

Jazz guitarists use standard tuning.
    Dropped tunings (DADGBE, CGCFAD) are used mainy by heavy metal bands etc. With jazz all that makes it a certain style of music is the chords used and the chords are played in standard tuning.