ESP kh - 202 Vs Jackson DXMG!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by fictional_real, Jun 19, 2005.

1. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

hi guys,

I had made up my mind for kh - 202, then one gentleman (rust in pain) suggested me DXMG. I am researching on this two guitars....

These guitars have almost same specifications....like pickup etc..just body wood diff...like kh has basswood and DXMG has Alder and other things..

One good thing abt DXMG is that its cheaper than KH...he he.

ESP KH 202

Specifications:

Construction: Bolt-on
    Scale: 25.5"
    Body: Basswood
    Neck/Fretboard: Maple/rosewood
    Inlays: Skull & bones, model @ 24th fret
    Pickups: EMB-HZ H-4 set
    Electronics: 2 volume, tone, 3-way slotted
    Hardware: Black
    Bridge: Floyd Rose licensed
    Binding: None
    Frets: 24 XJ
    Other Colors Available: None
    Weight: ???

Jackson DXMG

Specifications:

BODY: Alder

NECK: Bolt-On Maple

NECK DIMENSIONS: 1st Fret: .775”, 12th Fret: .880”

TUNING MACHINES: Die-Cast Tuners

FINGERBOARD: Rosewood

NO. OF FRETS: 24 Jumbo Frets

BRIDGE PICKUP: EMG® HZ

MIDDLE PICKUP: N/A

NECK PICKUP: EMG® HZ

CONTROLS: Master Volume,Master Tone, BRIDGE JT580 LP Double Locking 2
    Point Tremolo
    PICKUP SWITCHING: 3-Position Blade:

Position 1. Bridge Pickup

Position 2. Middle Pickup

Position 3. Neck Pickup

HARDWARE: Black

STRINGS NPS, Gauges:.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042

PICKGUARD: None

SCALE LENGTH: 25.5”

WIDTH AT NUT: 1-11/16”

UNIQUE FEATURES: Compound (12” to 14”) Fingerboard Radius,
    Reverse Headstock,
    MOTO Shark Fin Position Inlays,
    Bound Fingerboard and Headstock

Weight: around 5 kgs.

One more thing i i found out was dat DXMG is fine even while playing blues and rock however kh 202 aint dat good but both are amazing for metal.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think abt.... any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ygokazuki

ygokazuki New Member

I would go with the ESP. The DXMG's pups are not too hot, from what I hear.

3. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

i strongly recommend the DXMG
    the kh's made of basswood , i think my GIVSON's also made of basswood

@ygokazuki the DXMG and kh both hav EMG HZ's

4. MetalisticPro

MetalisticPro New Member

so u mean EMGS arent gud @ playing rock / hardrock
    my mind is aslo set on these 2 guitars
    im buying a KH-202 or a Jackson DXMG
    F_R leme know what u think !! abou the guitars and which one ur buying
    dose EMG arent gud @ playin rock ... ?

5. fictional_real

@metallistic .....EMG are pretty good. You misunderstood. kh 202 and DXMG have EMG HZ pickups...these pickups are average pickups ...infact very good for beginners but from what i have heard they give muddy sound when played in high volume....but dat doesnt matter for beginner you can replace them by any other good pickups afterwards....like EMG 81 active.

@Alfons .....very true. DXMG has Alder and KH has basswood and Alder is better than basswood....another good point for going for DXMG!

come on guys...more comments!!

where are others?? hello?

6. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

the HZ's r fantastic 4 a beginner if ya play heavy metal ( metallica, pantera)

i'm also gonna buy the DXMG
    maybe sometime in Sep

i checked out the review on harmony-central.com

Dxmg's got an 9.1 4 sound and overall 9.3 (47 people) :shock:

while the kh's got a 8.2 for sound and overall 8.9 ( 8 people) :annoyed:

7. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

I used to own a DXMG, and i kinda liked it. Its a great intermediate's guitar. I reccomend installing an EMG 89 i the neck and and EMG 85 in the bridge (James Murphy had his old ibanez guitars set up that way, he still uses an 85 in the bridge.) Or, if you're too scared like most people to try putting the 85 in the bridge (the 85 is actually a neck pickup), you can settle for an 81 in the bridge.

8. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

Hey i dont think we indians can afford to buy an expensive guitar then spend hell lotta bucks for pups.....wat we mere people want is just a good guitar with good pups.....even the average pups of USA are gud enough 4 india...dont u think so guys?

9. ygokazuki

ygokazuki New Member

I didn't know what the KH had, but I knew the DXMG had EMG HZ, which are quite noisy. I used to use them.

Also check out the good old Fender Fat Strat and the Ibanez S470.

10. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

the kh and the DXMG hav the same pickups!!

@rust in pain ur right
    1 of my friend got IBANEZ GRG and it sounds awsome compared 2 my GIVSON

11. fictional_real

@mr.scary....thanx for the valuable info.

@rust...yeah man! i know wat you feel coz am gone through it but really if you work hard and get a guitar from ur own money....theres nothing like it! but you know wat....any guitar is good for beginner as far as its not buzzing! but the thing is i am investing on guitar only once so dats why i am really cautious abt it! I think you are too going dat way...and yeah i am taking hard case shell too!

@ygokazuki.....noisy? can you explain wat do you mean by dat? it sounded bad or something?

I think experienced guys can make out the difference in different pickups.....for me to be honest...i can't figure out the difference coz i have seldom played any electric guitar ( only yamaha rjx, ibanez RG370DX, GRGs and some Strat copies!).

pour in more comments guys!!

Thanx!

12. Mr. Scary

to each his own bro :beer: . Its all about preference.

13. Mr. Scary

The tone you get out of pickups also depends on the tone wood your guitar is made of, and the construction quality of your guitar.

14. fictional_real

^^Exactly! the more rich wood you have the more tone you get!!

this is order of preference (hopefully!)

Rosewood>>Maple>>Alder>>basswood

correct me ...if am wrong!!

15. Mr. Scary

my favorite wood happens to be mahogany. Ive bashed basswood a bit too much. Some artists like Petrucci, Satriani and Paul Gilbert like their guitars made of basswood. So construction quality is important too.

My ibanez rg 7620 (seven string) is made of basswood, and i love it!

16. MetalisticPro

MetalisticPro New Member

@ ohh thanx FR .. well same here i dunt have any experience @ diff guitars so me neither can really differ or tell which is the best pups ..
    well im also buying a DXMG or DKMG ... so im a lil confused @ emgs .. cuz really i dunt want to change pickups .. the Builtin PUps ( EMG HZs ) are ok ?? guyz..
    and one more thing many guyz sujjested me to buy a DXMG instead of A DKMG .. the turbo chargers isnt gud enough .. :S ?? what u guyz think
    .. ?

17. xulfi

xulfi New Member

Kirk Hammit Go For Esp Kirk Hammit Series If U Bought Jackson U Will Regret Rest Of Ur Life Kirk Hammit Of Metallica Uses This Thing But Jackson Is Not That Good Go For Hammit.

18. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

@xulfi kirk HAMMET doesnt use da kh 202 itz a model frmm the kh series there lotz of models from the kh series like the kh 602, 603 etc

the one's kirk hammet uses are the ESP signature series KH 2 or his esp Ouija !

19. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Please do not buy a guitar just because kirk hammett or slash or whoever is using it. His needs and your needs are totally different.

Also, in my opiniion kirk hammett is just a mediocre guitarist(above average). I think he has the worst tone ever! And his playing skills also are very ordinary.
    If you are still hell bent on copying a guitar god then steve vai, joe sat, michael romeo etc all have their signature series.

20. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

not just preference... lolz....it all about the cash u ve got hehe

@xulfi-u had a fake jackson...how can u say that original jacksons are horrible?