Epiphone SG (G-400s), LP or Mexican Strat

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by zeppelin, Apr 29, 2005.

1. zeppelin

zeppelin New Member

Hi

Is there anybody who has played a Epiphone G-400. I am going to UK and I want to buy a guitar which will keep me satisfied for the next 2-3 years. I play mostly Power blues, Country blues, Classick rock, Hard rock and try Satch licks. Only a lil bit of metal (Meagdeth ONLY). What Would you suggest (Prices in pounds)

1. Std Mexican Strat (290-320)
    2. Epiphone LP Std/plus (300-350)
    3. Epiphone G-400 SG Deluxe Flametop Guitar (290-310)
    4. Epiphone G-400 SG Vintage Electric Guitar (275-300)
    5. Epiphone LP Black Beauty (350-400)

My budget is 300-350. The best guitar I have played on was a SRV Signature strat with texas special pickups so i have a sort of crush on strats but I want to go for versatility too and I have heard great reviews about Epiphone. Which model of Ibanez is good for playing slightly overdriven blues or has a good clean tone?

Along with the guitar I thinking about buying Marshall MG50DFX adn a crybaby after i come back to india in about 2 months time. Or should I buy a crybaby from UK too ?

- Zep

2. musicpingoo

musicpingoo New Member

I am a beginner so I can't say much about the subtle nuances but the guitar that I have now is kinda cool (much better than the squire strat I initially bought), you might wanna check it out before u buy anything

Ibanez SZ-320

the picture doesn't do any justice I tell ya, my teacher loves this guitar though he's seen a ton of them ....its a headturner !

here is mine :)

3. shak

shak Harrr!

i havent played mexican strats but i have tried the epi's ..
    the sg's wont give you the warmth of the lp's and they dont have that "neva ending" sustain either, they have that slight crunch and that deep rumbling sabbath tone to them ... when i was getting myself a les paul built i had the option to buy a GIBSON SG ... i mean gibson is the ultimate dream isnt it and you would always go for anything gibson but when i tried the sg i didnt like it at all ... so left the gibson and went for my custom lp...
    anyway. ... cnsidering yourmusic style... fender should be ok.
    but why dont you go and try them out... buy what you like? nad have ya thougt of getting archtops?

4. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

i'll tell you what you should do.

dig up another £100 from somewhere and get a second hand Fender USA Strat

also the Fender Strat is way more versatile than the Epiphone SG or LP especially if you get a Fender that has a humbucker on it like the Lonestar strat.

5. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

The LP black beauty is great for the "Hard rock and try Satch licks. Only a lil bit of metal (Meagdeth ONLY)"

But the strat covers most of the ares u mentioned, be sure to try many mexican strats as there is always one which is way better than the others!

6. zeppelin

zeppelin New Member

Thanx a lot ppl,

Rabi, I wish I could cough up another 100 but cant (sigh...). But lemme see, the HSS/Fat strats do have some cool reviews written about them.Been saving up for 6 months now. I think I should just camp out in a good store and try out all Epi's and strats (h4f0nas, I agree with you) .

Archtops, yeah, once i become good at this blues-jazz theory/technique that i am practising. I have given myself 1-1.5 years for that. Pure blues, all kinds. Nothing like it i swear.

7. rabi_sultan

actually to be perfectly honest if you cough up the extra 100 you could probably get a shot at getting a second hand Gibson USA LP or Gibson USA SG as well as that Fender USA Strat or Fender USA Tele.

before you do decide what guitar to get go to Denmark Street and play all the guitars first.

8. god_of_thunder

god_of_thunder Livin After Midnight

Dude i think you should go for a mexican strat if you are getting a REAL good deal or as Rabi says save up the extra cash and hunt for a second hand strat.
    i own a mexican strat and its real good but an american Fender owns ALL.. they CAN be used for metal (although not Made for it) in positions 2 and 4

9. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

I agree with the above, if u can borrow or save up abit more for second hand gear! I played a beat up second hand strat and man....it rocked!

10. rabi_sultan

the US currency rate vs the UK pound is very weak right now, about 1.8-1.9

My own USA Fender i got when that was the exchange rate on eBay (delivered to my cousin in NYC) and i got two of them. one for me and one for my other cousin here in london.

The cost? Two USA Fenders both aged at 1994 (mine) and 1996 (his) cost us approx £350 per guitar including delivery to the USA address.

Which is why i said save up £100 extra. My advice would be to screw the amp and get the killer guitar - heck play without any amp just get the kickass guitar and then get a crappy amp later :)

11. rabi_sultan

thanks to ronnieanand's link to https://www.music123.com

check this strat out. its a Fender Custom so I'm not sure which factory its made at could be the Mexican or the USA factory.

https://www.music123.com/Fender-Custom-Telecaster-FMT-i159665.music

to be honest i'm not sure where this was assembled. I'm guessing its the Mexican factory in all honesty but email Fender and find out.

It might be B-Grade stock but converted it works out to £281. You MIGHT be able to get it in London at this price. Go to Andy's Guitars on Denmark Street

12. zeppelin

zeppelin New Member

13. rabi_sultan

i don't know much about Epiphone gear but realistically if you go to Denmark Street (off Charing Cross near Covent Garden tube station or Tottenham Court Road tube station) then you should be able to pick up anything from there.

If you then get back onto Charing Cross Road and walk away from Oxford Street and towards Covent Garden then you'll see Soho Soundhouse and another guitar shop slightly further up on the corner of a mini cut in parade. Both are on the left hand side and both stock an excellent range of gear that matches the outlets on Denmark Street.

btw that Fender Lite Ash guitar looks totally awesome.

did you mean this one:
    https://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG00362

In which case thats a pretty decent guitar. btw if your going to spend 355 on it then how much are you going to spend on the amp?

14. zeppelin

zeppelin New Member

15. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Those lite ash look pretty good! But i guess they are lower quality than a second hand USA strat!

16. rabi_sultan

judging from the price alone these could be one of three guitars.

Either a special Mexican make, a standard Japanese make or the Highway-1 US make. From what you can get in the UK its very unlikely to be that Japanese make so more than likely its either the Mexican (more than likely) or a Highway-1 US (not very likely).

But again get either the first four letters/digits of the serial number or phone Fender/shop and ask them.

now going back to this second hand business. I would target the purchase of these guitars if i were you:
    https://www.soundsmusical.com/produ...tratocaster HH Electric Guitar&cl=Chrome Blue
    https://www.soundsmusical.com/produ... Electric Guitar&cl=Chrome Red, Rosewood Neck

But again remember that since your out getting a humbucker on your Strat/Tele it also might be an idea to check out a Tokai Firebird. Brand new these are around £550 but second hand you might be able to pick it up for around £300-350. They are also versatile (not as much as the strat) but also pack a punch a great guitar.