Epiphone Les Paul Special II in INDIA (Bombay) ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by drock, May 27, 2006.

1. drock

drock New Member

Hi - I'm reading this forum for a couple of months but this is my first post.

Where can I buy "Epiphone Les Paul Special II" it or is it available in India ? I'm relocating to India (currently in US) 31-May and saw the Epiphone Les Paul Special II on sale $149 at my local Guitarcenter and I'm thinking of taking it to India. But need to buy a hardshell case to check-in and also have to sacrifice a real luggage, so I am thinking if this guitar is available in India and if yes, how much's the price.

Called Bhargava but no one picks up the phone ? Do they open late in the afternoon ? I am heading to the shop tomorrow to play the guitar but won't buy until I hear something from you guys.. PLEASE, i have to either buy or not buy this guitar latest by Monday 29th.

Or I could buy a Fender Mexi Strat too .. that will be around $400. But I liked the price and look of epiphone LP Special II, never played a humbucker, which is what I'm going to try tomorrow, but I guess I'll like it.

2. drock

drock New Member

I just called Furtados and the guy said that they don't have any Epi LP or Fender Strats at this time but they will get the Epi LP next month and the special II is around Rs. 11,000.

Do you guys think that's an OK price ? Also, he told me they get the guitars from Indonasia - do you think they WILL actually have this guitar on stock in II months or he's just airing my hopes up and that "one month" will never come ? I mean it just doesn't sound good when a guitar shop says they don't have neither Fender nor Epiphone.

3. itwasnoteasy

itwasnoteasy E chord humka dede Thakur

If you can carry it to India that would be great option. I guess so because I am not very sure if you get the same thing there in India. If someone had tried buying something like this in India would know better. Had I been at your place, I would prefer carrying it.

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

My suggestion.. If you are in the stase get it from there at all cost... You wont have much choice at Furtados.. belive me.....You will be very limited in your choice at Furtados...
    Bhargavas dont stock Epiphones ...

5. zing

zing Machine Head

i had gone to furtados to chk the epiphone lp when it wuz in stock - korean make i think - & i wuz not very impressed - it wuz 27k at tht time

if ur happy with the us epiphone sound then carry it

6. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I highly recommend getting it from the states.. Most of us out here would prefer to do that , for any of our gear...

7. drock

drock New Member

Thanks guys, I know it's best if I bring it from US, but I had serious trouble carrying my Fender Aco-Electric in US domestic flight couple of times and I had to check-in the guitar in a soft case with just "fragile" sticker on it. It survived, but I just don't want to risk again. It was a DG-14SCE solid spruce top with Fishman-4 electronics and I loved that guitar but then I got scared and sold me $320 guitar for $200 yesterday just because I wasn't going to risk it one more time... but then just to buy some Martin strings I went to guitarcenter store yesterday and saw they have the Epiphone LP II on sale for $149 and it just tempted me big time.

Let's see, if I buy this guitar, I would put it in a hardshell case and then stuff all kinds of clothes and pack it tight and then check-in in the cargo.. nothing is 100% sure because all these hardshell cases for about $80, they are not real hardshell, they are kind of laminated wood or plastic and if a 300lb fatass sits on it, I'm sure it will break.. and a real hardshell (square anvil cases) will outcost my guitar's price.

These guys don't let carry guitar inside the plane in a gigbag.. and that's a f'in pain that driving me nuts.

Let's see - I might even buy a little expensive mexi strat and that way it will be worth it to carry the guitar. Worst case, I will lose 15,000 Rs - what can I say.

8. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

^ well thats a risk that you would need to take and I say it is worth it.. considering the stuff you get out here..... MIM strats are quite nice.. atleast thats what I hear...

9. drock

drock New Member

MIM is ? Did u mean the mexican strats are pretty good at Bhargava's ? i spoke to mr fernandez from that store and he said they have the mex strats in stock 28,000 rs. ..around 4,000 rs more than what I'll get here ($420 guitar incl tax + hardshell case).

So, if i buy a strat, i'd rather by it from bombay cause 4,000 doesn't count much. But if i'm getting a Epiphone LP II i would get it from US because for that I'm not only paying more but also sacrificing choice and quality ?

10. drock

drock New Member

dumb me ... made in mexico, rt?

11. zing

zing Machine Head

dude u hav another option - buy all the orginal gibson parts from the us - u know humbuckers, pots, knobs, tuners, bridge, tailpiece, 3way switch - & bring it here & give it to albertos or peter periera & they will assemble a Les Paul for you....
    pereira wil charge abt 10k, the finish wil b like original but wil take 6months-1yr to deliver.. alberto wil charge approx 20k, finish wil be ok & wil deliver in abt a month
    [u wil hav to chk with them 4 exact price.... pereira 91 22 2545 3403 alberto 91 22 2888 1523]

12. drock

drock New Member

Zing - that's a pretty original idea, but .. well.. i just don't know if I will have that much time to buy the parts and after that have them assembled in bombay.. plus, i honestly know nothing about electric - I have been playing acoustic since forever, and that too I'm a terrible player.

I went to the store, the Les Paul Epiphone Special II is pretty good for the price and sounds just like I want it to, but it has a very high action. Actual all low-end epiphones seemed to have a much higher action than any Fenders. Guess I can tone it down a bit ??

I am thinking of buying a mexi strat here, including tax it's coming around $350 - add a hardshell case, makes it near 20,000 Rs. - but still I guess I can't be wrong with a strat ? Is there anyone here know epiphones well ? If i could fix the action of the epi, that was my cheap choice :( .. strat is a little overspending from my ability to actually use a strat like it's supposed to be.

13. drock

drock New Member

Just wanted to update.

I've bought the Epiphone Les Paul Special II for $135 + tax. It has a bold-on neck, so I took the bolts off and now I can put the body and the neck separately two pieces inside the suitcase. Once I get off in India, I will put those together.. worst case, I might have to take it to a shop for any action adjustment, but don't think I will need that.. Don't think the neck will bend for not having the tension for 3 days, plus the guitar was originally tuned pretty low...

I bought a Zoom 505II multi effect pedal couple of months ago. Never used it much cause all I had was a Fender Aco-Electric (I sold it 3 days ago). Will buy the amp and from Bhargava's once I get to Bombay.

BTW - Anyone here listens to "Porcupine Tree" ? undercore UK based progrock band ?

14. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

^ ahh Bad move... Put the neck back on...The Neck wuld most probaly Wrap.. what is he wheater like where you live right now? I highly recomend puting it back.....OR SHRINk WRAP both BODY and NECK......
    ANY WAY CONGRATS

15. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

yes MIM stands for made in MEXICO :) Zing to gave a good option... Both Albertos and Perrira make nice guitars..

16. drock

drock New Member

What's the worst case if I put the strings/neck back in only after 3 days when I reach bombay ? Can I adjust the trus rod etc in any shop in bombay or do i have to just trash the guitar ? The guys at the shop told me that there might be some adjustment needed, but it's fixable and they do it for $40, which is less than an hours labor.

The neck is in AC, and I guess it will mostly be in AC over the next 2 days.

The below article says a neck doesn't bow until left unstringed for months.
    https://users.adelphia.net/~cygnusx_1/neck_bow.html

17. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

The thing is the change in weather... So even if you had to get your guitar, without dismantelling it, you might have to get a trustrod adjustment.... The Freakin Weather in Mumbai is so bad... and cant say when it is going to rain.... Anyway since you have detached the NEck... "JUST shrink wrap it".....When you attach the neck back..... thighten the strings gradualyy...Some adjustment would be needd IMO too. Defintly fixable depending on the condition of the neck.. and since you say it is in AC ... I doubt you should have a huge problem. Just SHRINK WRAP IT.. thats what Warmoth does when transporting thier stuff....
    Hey I dont know if i said it before "CONGRATS" :)

18. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

Cud ane1 temme the price of an ibanez rg2550e from furtados or onstage????
    am going to bombay soon so i wanna check it out

19. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Iraqita , for Ibanez i suggest go down to Bhargavas.. at Bandra he has more choice.... and i think better rates... Plus Ashish is very nice warm and frindly.. .. Furtados is also good.. I just wish their sales men knew what they are selling.

20. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

^^^k..thanx man.....ane idea bout the price range of an ibanez rg2500e...an estimate wud do