Electric Vs Acoutic Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by jekyll, Sep 21, 2005.

1. jekyll

jekyll Banned

I am in a quandry.

I used to own an acoustic guitar till sometime back, but now that guitar has lived its life.

I have 3 options with me:

1. buy electric guitar
    2. buy a nylon string guitar
    3. rewire the metal strung guitar with nylon strings

My budget is not very high - anythig under Rs10000 will do.
    Second thing is that with electric guitar i wil havto but an amplifier also.
    My frend has Marshall MG 15 CD. Howrver, i was thinking of pluggin in the guitar directly to my comp. Is it a good option?

Thanx

2. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

i would sugget you to go for an electric guitar. :beer:
    You can get the Tansen guitar which is pretty good , at Rs.7000 and go for a stranger cube 20 which will cost you around 2300 indian bucks. :dance:
    So hope u start rockin soon.... :rock:

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey,
    I wouldn't suggest Electric or Acoustic straight away after it's you who is going to play. Please tell me your requirements. Your budget is fine. What is the type of music you play and what you expect from the guitar. An Acoustic and Electric guitar and totally two different things, so first figure out what you want. People here can give you much better suggestions.

4. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Thanks for the replies guys

I prefer bluesy music - not too much into Blues but whatever I have heard I liked.
    Though am not much conversant with Blues style of playing, I would like to practice more in that direction. Yet, at the same time i find the sound of acoustic guitar appealing.

I have also heard about (and seen too) the kindof different pick-ups, how does that (pickups) matter?

Occaisonally I would play rock stuff also.

5. ronnieanand

There you go. You the answers ready already. Get yourself a nice Acoustic and play. Actually I love the Acoustic much more than Electric though Electric could be fun at times but Acoustic can be serious fun too. Again if you are not going to be playing classical, stick to steel strings than nylon strings.

6. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

and yeah you can plug your guitar directly into your PC. it will work but the output wont be as good as an amp, unless you get some amp simulation software thingy like ReValver.

7. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

What you can do is buy an accoustic and fix a good quality pick-up on it. Dont' buy a semi solid, they are never good.

8. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Hey but most of the Blues n Jazz guitarists I have seen use Semi-solid. Infact even Eric Johnson uses semi-solid, then why is it that you say they are never good?

That reminds me something.

If I play an acoustic or semi-solid through overdriven amp will it sound close to the solid body electric guitar?

9. ronnieanand

Acoustic through an amp wont sound as good as solid. There's never one guitar fits all here.
    Semi Acoustics are kind between Solid and Hollow ones and are capable of giving good mellow tones. Agressive Jazz players like Frank Gambale dont use such kind of guitars. Semi Acoustics can give decent unprocessed clean tones than the solid body.

10. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

I say they are never good because most semi-solids are more elctric and less accoustic. I don't think you can buy a guitar of the quality Eric Johnson uses.

11. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Thanx debanken, that means I have to be particularly careful, but anyway my policy is:
    I try out in the shop, if it sounds good I buy it.

12. horned_guitar

horned_guitar New Member

Hmmmmm......i would say go for an Electric............

life is worth electric ...............not acoustic.....

13. yazi

yazi Banned

^^**** u man, listen to some Andres Segovia!

14. Double Click

Double Click New Member

+ 1000000 Also try some Julian Bream, William Ackerman and Tony Emmanuel for starters

15. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Stop the stupid bumping!

16. yazi

yazi Banned

Give me a rep point!

17. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

^ That's for DC eh?
    Didn't he give you 10000? :grin:

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

so we have a new wave of old thread resurrections goign on here?

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

w00ps, +1 PC

20. Double Click

Double Click New Member

LOL!! Its interesting how far ppl have come :)

@alpha1 - been awhile since I've seen u here!