Electric String on Acoustic

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by herculesksp, Feb 7, 2008.

1. herculesksp

herculesksp New Member

Hi guys,

What do you think about putting electric string on an acoustic guitar? The last time(2 years back) my guitar teacher told me that once I have had good practice with my new guitar(then), he would change the strings to electric ones for a better and nicer sound. Would like spoil the guitar in anyway, i.e in terms of tension etc.

I have a Montana Semi-Acoustic -> https://en.woodbrass.com/product_info.php?products_id=31715&af=35

Regards,
    Prashanth

2. gautam_bapuli

gautam_bapuli New Member

even my guitar teacher suggested me to use elgtr strings to practice bends

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Electric guitar strings are generally of a lower gauge. If there is a large difference between your acoustic strings and the electrics then there could be problems unless your guitar has a truss rod. The lower gauge will also mean less tension from the strings which can change the sound, make it sound thinner.

4. elfascinating

elfascinating risqué

Don't go for proper electric strings but go for the "Electro-Spanish" strings of gauge 0.010

You get the "Electro-Spanish" strings by GiVson and I found them far better than even the variety of D'addarios.

Desi but real cool. Try it.

5. musicmanPKR

musicmanPKR New Member

well, no, it wont spoil ur guitar in any way

but the electric strings are of lighter gauge, so better get ur truss ro adjusted (u ca also adjust it urself if u have the reqired key, just turn it in the anticlockwise direction NOT MORE THAN 30 degrees AT A TIME)

the basic difference between electrc and acoustic sting is the gauge and the amount of nickel content in it (high nickel content makes it easie for pickups to catch the vibrations).

and yeah i wud agree, since u have an acoustic guitar, don't go for high end strings. Try Karuna or Givson. they're cool

6. herculesksp

herculesksp New Member

hmmm.. thats intersting actually. It would make a lot of sense to have electric strings as mine is a semi acoustic. I'll try that and see what difference it makes to the amped output.