Electric Guitar maintenance help needed

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by GuitareElectric, Jul 18, 2011.

1. GuitareElectric

GuitareElectric New Member

Hey guys,

I have an Ibanez Electric guitar which, the last time i played, was 2-3 months back. Since then i had kept in the corner of my bedroom (inside the cover). Today i happened to remove it to play it again. There was a thin layer of dust on the guitar which i cleaned with a cotton cloth.

Naturally, it was out of tune. But what i noticed is that when i was tuning the guitar the 1st, 2nd and the 5th string was giving a damp sound when i strummed these strings. The other three strings were sounding normally. But for the earlier strings, whenever i used to pluck them they used to vibrate without the sound (i checked them and they are not muted at any of the frets) I am not sure whats wrong with it. can anyone help !!!

Thanks
    Manish

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Try fresh strings.
    Are you living in coastal area?

3. GuitareElectric

Yeah, i ve kept that as the last option, since these are new strings which i had put, But just wanted to check if anyone else had faced a similar problem and found what the issue was. I live in Mumbai.

Thanks

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I think you need to tune it properly... Thats it... and i hope you dint put acoustic guitar strings on your Electric :p:

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The same strings were playing fine earlier - so we can rule out acoustic into electric.

When I was living in Vizag - 1st and 2nd strings had places where rusting had occurred, which made it sound "clangy".
    Whenever there is a coating of foreign material or change in your string material (like oxidation) - the linear density of the string changes.

This change causes:
    1. Change in fundamental frequency - which you can change by tuning it properly
    2. Change in overtones NOT in tune with fundamental - this causes noise / clang / buzziness

Before trying anything - do check the nut and bridge too (saddle / groove - wherever the string actually sits).
    You've said that your frets and neck seem fine.

6. harmonizer

harmonizer The Son of the Moon

i dint really get what's a 'damp sound'...but i've faced a problem with loose screws of tuning pegs....they five a fuzzy noise...the sound goes worse on strumming harder....check screws of tuning pegs too...& tight them up

7. GuitareElectric

Thanks guys for your comments....apparently it seems the fretboard has bent backwards a little.. and indeed the strings seems to be touching the first fret (around half a millimeter distance) slightly while strumming. I had taken it to Bhargavas for repair. But unfortunately they don't have the screw driver to open the main neck screw (the one which is inside the fretboard). This one's an Ibanez S series from the 90's. In case if anyone would be having the screwdriver can you please let me know.

Thanks

8. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Why don't you post pictures instead? Take pictures from side - level with the neck, from the bridge looking towards the headstock, and close to the nut.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

It might be a difficult job.
    First of all he would have to have a good megapixel camera - to resolve the details to mm level
    Second, he would require a large CMOS/CCD sensor area to actually capture and render the resolution. (no point having a 21MP camera with mobile phone sensor)
    Third, he would require a precise focusing lens, and know where exactly (on the neck) to set the focus
    Fourth, his lens and camera should have manual adjustment possible, in order to reduce the aperture - so that the depth of field is very high - which means more items being sharp (the entire neck).
    Fifth, flash - or rather lighting - so that it doesn't hide the details, but actually bring it out - the frets in this case.
    (Sixth - steady hand, or actually a tripod - otherwise motion blurry pix don't help at all)

Most of the ppl take pix with their I-Phone / mobile phone, and really speaking doesn't help the case at all.
    (Many such cases in past at IGT)

In any case - GuitareElectric - a photo may help others, later .