Effects Pedals.

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Quadrophenia, Nov 13, 2005.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

For getting rid of the fuzz...1 k notch filter on the EQ?

2. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

3. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Ok forget about Vai and Satriani and their rig the main thing is to just check it out yourself and see how you like it.
    To my knowledge satriani uses stock DS-1 and he used it as a stand alone distortion BUT along with many other pedals including stuff like the expandora, fuzz face ,etc before the JSX came out

This is his rig as explained by himself
    JSX Live
    "It seems there are questions about my live amp set up, here it is: JS1000's into a pedal board, old school style, with: 535 wah, RMC custom wah, Boss Harmony Machine, Boss DS-1, Barber Burn Unit, Fulltone Ultimate Octave, Fulltone, Deja Vibe, Digitech Whammy, Boss DE-2. On to the front of a JSX head, high input, by Mike offstage. Mike actually has two heads stacked and ready to switch in case of unforseen problems. I have two delays running in the effects loop as well. A single JSX head powers 2 JSX 4x12 bottoms. Sitting on top of those heads are 2 more JSX back-ups, plugged in, turned on, but, not running any speaker cabs. Sometimes, space permitting, we put a third cabinet on stage. We travel with four. Those of you who have been part of the Platinum package groups have seen this set up when attending sound check and have had a walk on stage. This a mono set up. When out of the USA I use local Peavey JSX gear. Here in Mumbai, where I am today, I will use a local JSX amp and speakers, and leave it here in India when the tour is over. It's a dream come true to have my signature series gear meet me whever I am in the world and always sound so great. Much love to my Peavey buddies:)?)... Joe"

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Before the JSX, he might have using some other Tube Head which supplied him the overdrive. I dont think any player who plays that sort of music plays on Solid State. Dont tell me Dimebag did it. I am comparing hard rock and similar music. There's no way, anybody is going to use DS1 for a stand alone especially when he playing things of such gain. An analog or digital pedal is gonna sound pretty harsh with such a high gain and bright sound. It wont get such smooth.

@Alfons. That pic showing Vai's setup is taken before Christ was born and it's not complete. He does use a Tube Screamer. I forgot the name of his famous custom rack and even that's not listed here. He also uses the Budda Bud Wah a lot more than his Morley Bad Horsie. Where's that ??

5. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

Thats from the SF DVD right. What a concert.

6. sridhar11_2

I really dont know whether Joe used it to push the amp i just heard from a guy who has spoken with Joe that he used the DS-1 as the only source of distortion, it might have been the old japanese production one i may be wrong but i really dont care. The main thing i wanna know is IS THE DS-1 GOOD?

7. ronnieanand

That's not possible dude. He should have used the DS1 to push the amp, otherwise for that amount of gain he should have been using MT2. It's kinda assumed that distortion is from the amps and that's why people dont even refer to it. Infact Distortion Pedal are nothing but some kinda Amp simulators.

DS1 is decent. Nothing great about it. Infact if you take Boss pedals DS1, DS2, OD1, OS2, they all have a sound that instantly you know it's Boss. But as a Clean Boost any good pedal would do the job.

8. hindiRox

hindiRox Banned

@ Ron : The gain which Joe gets can be got from a DS1. My GT8 has a DS1 simulator. Which can give you that much gain.

9. sridhar11_2

Ok thanks. Which pedal do you think is good enough as stand alone distortion - referring to open sounding distortion with versatile gain control and not to high gain pedals meant for metal

10. ronnieanand

AMT California Sound. For high gain smooth overdrive / distortion. AMT Fatal Tube is more versatail.

11. sridhar11_2

@ronnieanand.. Thanks

12. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

umm...i think the AMT fatal tube !!watsa ron ?

13. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

14. sridhar11_2

Where do they sell AMT pedals?

15. jekyll

jekyll Banned

^^ haha
    nice ques

u get it online... and get a frend from US etc to receive your package and send it to you ...

16. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

from pedalgeek.com.....

i dont think they've got a dealer in india.....my friend from the US got me 1