Effect of guitar sale on warranty

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by guitardoctor, Oct 28, 2010.

1. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Suppose I buy a guitar which is 6 months old and has a one year warranty on it, and I obtain the original bill and warranty card(s) from the old owner... Is the warranty void or can I take advantage of it?

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

warranty will not be void..

3. guitardoctor

Thanks for the info...

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dunno about guitars, but for all the other things in life - warranty is not transferable.

5. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

who's asking you to transfer?

6. guitardoctor

Well that was my question, like what is the legal position on it... I think practically speaking it is transferable since the shopkeeper has no way of knowing who is coming back with the bill+warranty (no photograph or anything on the bill) so the new owner cannot be told apart from the old one... What say?

And also, ethically speaking it should be transferable... The warranty is an assurance of the quality of the instrument, it should not be void just because the owner changed.

7. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

definitely you don't have to be so ethical...no one's gonna question you.. which guitar by the way.. curious :)

8. guitardoctor

Just looking around for now ;) Nothing specific yet... Currently too busy with some professional issues, although gear shopping time is somewhere on the horizon...

9. flood

flood New Member

the warranty holds for the time period stipulated in general, regardless of sale to a third person. it would be pretty stupid otherwise. there are exceptions to this rule, for some computer-related stuff and also for certain life warranties (fernandes used to offer lifetime warranty on their guitars to the ORIGINAL owner through the outlet).

10. guitardoctor

Thanks, that's good to know...