Difference between various chords

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by Mr.CHILLER, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Mr.CHILLER

Mr.CHILLER New Member

difference between chords

sweethearts
    can any body plz explain the difference between the major, minor, bare and suspended chords.what is the difference between sounds .
    lov and thnx.

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

From a theoretical point of view, wait for some experienced person's reply. From a layman's point of view, PLAY THEM dude, you should notice the difference in sound. And i didnt get your question...

3. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

bare aint a chord.. if u mean barre, thats a guitaring technique.. its not a classification of a chord.
    regarding major minor suspended, u might want to know that there are also augmented (aug), dimnished (dim), half dim, sharp 9th (#9) sharp 11th (#11) many more kinds of chords etc etc...

i will try to explain in very short words so that u get an idea, then u can google the rest.

when u sing or play a melody, u are essentially playing one musical note at a time.
    the sequence of these notes sounds melodic if the human brain perceives the sequence to be musical. the adjacent notes in a melody are called intervals. in case of melody, they are called horizontal intervals.
    as u know an octave as 12 seminotes C,C#,D,D#,E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A# and B.
    the distace between any two notes is called an interval.
    this is how intervals are named.

C->C# - minor second
    C->D - major second
    C->D# minor third
    C->E major 3rd
    C->F perfect 4th
    C->F# dimnished fifth or augmented 4th
    C->G perfect Fifth
    C->G# minor 6th
    C->A major 6t
    C->A# minor 7th
    C->B major 7th.

in a melody one woudl play these notes one after the other.
    but when harmonizing or playing chords, you usually play more than one notes at the same time. when this happens, the intervals are called vertical intervals.
    these are so named because in staff notation or guitar tabulature, you will find that chords are vertical.

for eg:
    E-----0---7---0--11---- is a melody with horizontal intervals

and
    E---3---
    B---3---
    is an example of a vertical interval

so if u play any 2 notes simultanous rooted at C for eg, then u can use the above table to find out whats the name of the interval.

chords usually have at least 3 notes (triads) and they usually are made of the following 3 notes...

1 root
    2 a 3rd interval
    3 a fifth interval

for example the c major chord = C+major 3rd of C+perfect fifth of C
    C+ E + G
    hence C major

the Cminor would be C C+ minor 3rd of C+perfect fifth of C
    C+Eb+G

to find all possible chords in triads, u can do this simple exercise on a piano or evena small casio.

start at the middle C key, if u play all white notes till you reach the next C, you get the c major scale.

start at C , play 3 alternate white keys.. so that would be C+E+G = Cmaj
    now move all 3 fingers by one white key.. so next 3 keys would be D+F+A = Dm
    and so on..
    if u follow this exercise u will end up with the following

I C+E+G = C maj
    II D+F+A = D min
    III E+G+B = E min
    IV F + A +C = F maj
    V G+B+D = G maj
    VI A+C+E = A min
    VII B+D+F = B dim

these are all the possible chords in the c major scale. The roman numbers werent chosen by me arbitarily they have a specific meaning too in music theory, but lets save that for some other time.

So I have given you some basics on intervals and triads. you will see that as u increase the number of notes in a vertical interval, say from 3 to 4.. you will get more jazzier chords with even jazzier names. but u can derive any chord name from the the theory i have explained.
    for example say there is a chord C+Eb+G+Bb -- we know that C+Eb+G=Cmin..
    now C-Bb is a min 7th interval.. so C+Eb+G+Bb = Cmin7.
    Hope this didnt confuse u more, and was of some help. google the following:
    Music Theory, Scales and Modes , Major minor diminished and augmented intervals.
    you will find lots of information.

J

4. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

mods move this thread to guitar lessons and tips forum

5. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Alright, Thread will be moved to the guitar lessons and tips forum.

6. @jayswami
    there r many ways of playing the same chords am i right eg for chords F but do all these ways sound the same????????n y r there many positions for some chords ???
    is it for convenience?????????????

7. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

though initially they may seem the same, all the different positions in a guitar have different voicings and actually sound different to tthe trained ear. if u listen to a song, and want to reporduce it.. most likely there will be only one way to play it so that it sounds the same. for eg.. if u dont capo the 7th fret and play the arepegio in Em postion, hotel california wont sound right...

but yea as a beginner, u first learn the basic chords.. the open chords.. and play every thing open.. i remember we once way way back.. i wont even say when.. i knew only 2 chords.. D and C :p:

8. Liquid

Liquid New Member

man u have soooooooooo much knowledge on music!!!!..

is it really that important to know every single note on the guitar??....i mean like....i know "the basics"...but like the 7th note on the g string.....do u have to klnow specifics like that?

9. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

liquid, if u learn music formally, then all the stuff i have mentioned will be covered in the very initiall stages. But I like many of us here on IGT did not learn music formally in school when I was young. It was a gradual process of accidental discoveries one after the other. To answer you question,

It does help to have some basic music theory fundas clear. If u have those, u dont even have to remember where the notes are in a guitar..
    for eg i am sure u know how the open A chord looks 003330
    now if u know that B is one whole step above A, then u would know that 225550 is gonna be B.. u have these standard patterrns which u remember, and then u can just transpose by shifting your fingers.. thats the mode i personally work on when playing the guitar.
    The piano is different.. in many ways its easier, and in many ways its different.
    on the piano the fingering to play scales in different keys is very different..
    Hence you gotta learn and practice each scale differently. But the good thing about the piano is that each key is unique and can be identified easily.. so u ve got less chances of getting confused...
    to summarize.. on a piano, yes youve got to know what each key represents.
    on a guitar you can get away by just knowing chord and scale patterns and intutively play the scales and lead at some arbit key.. as the relative distaces and fingering is almost same .. but with experience you will know what exact note your are playing even on a guitar.

Jay

10. nunusword

nunusword New Member

chord voicing??

i'm not sure if this is chord voicing but anyways ...

lets say we play a melody c - f - g -f#

any timing wud do...just play these four notes one after another....

ok,now i want to play four chords in that timing and it shud sound the same or have the same feel.how do i do this?

i have noticed that if u play those four major chords (with the above notes as the root note) ie c maj,f maj,gmaj ,f#maj....it won't work.

The main reason behind this is ...say your song has a chord change from c to f....

but in that interval u play another 2 chords.....let say C - Em -Am - F....

those 2 chords sound really cool

the question is how do u find out,(based on the melody u're singing of course) that those chords are Em and Am...is there a theory involved ?...

11. Knonie

Knonie New Member

Hey jayswami: your reply is quite technical and perhaps the member is not getting it.

I suggest you to say something about these lines.

First write C major scale, all notes. [I think it's C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-] and better with tabs. Then write the notes of C minor scale and tell why it is minor coz it has 4th, 6th and 5th note [i guess] played a semi-tone [or whatever] lower.

After this, tell us that why Cmaj Chord is constructed from this Scale, as we take 1st, 3rd and 5th note [C-E-G] of this scale. Similarly with minor. I think that will make the topic more clear.

Actually I know a little about this what I learnt from some books. I hope that you'll explain it in a more practical way.

12. pacificwaters

pacificwaters - .+:| Oriel |:+. -

hey jayswami that was a fantastic explanation...... i think u summed up quite a lot in this thread of urs about what discoveries i made while learning the guitar....... hats off dude......

13. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

lolz jayswami seems to scare him...just kidding :p:.

very well explained.

to be really short and precise. chords are nothing but different notes played at a time.

14. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

Dude ! Cool artical ! .. Swami can u Add info on Drop cordss ?? Im Looking forward !

15. Liquid

Liquid New Member

geez...i wish i had thanked u earlier....

jay that was a really nice explanation....i understood most of it...but as usual...i did get some more questions...( sorry for the late reply)

ok so lets take the Cmaj chord...it has the notes C + E + G..
    but when we play Cmaj in open chord style...we also add another C note to the end...( and an E note)....if i was to form the chord looking just at the scale and doing the formula...how would i know to add the extra two notes.....i understand that its a double and really doesnt change it around....but how would i know to add em if i didnt know from before? :S

thanks...

16. nadish

nadish Active Member

Y just Rocks Jay!!!! What an easy way to explaint a mountain like a dust particle. U r awesome Jay....

17. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

in emotional point of view, there are moods associated with these chords.... major chords sound happy, cheerful, fun and minor chords sound a little sentimental, little bit sad with a shade of "komalata" ( sorry couldnt find a nice english word .... somewhat similar to mildness .... )

18. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

nice and different way to explain madhura !!!