D Chord Help

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Liquid, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Liquid

Liquid New Member

i was practicing the D chord......but i came across a problem.....when i put my 3rd finger on the B string....it kinda mutes out the E string...thats a problem

whats the best way to fix it...

ive tried to like point my finger out in a straight way...but then i cant keep my pressure with the other fingers....

this is one of those practice makes perfect things right?:confused:

thanks for the help

2. scot_hacker

scot_hacker New Member

Playing Dmaj

While you finger the chord make sure you don't try to hug the fretboard with your palm. Keep your fingers perpendicular to the fretboard. Keep the hand a little above the fretboard, don't stick. Don't curl your thumb too much, keep it below the fretboard.

And of course, practice makes perfect.

3. Liquid

Liquid New Member

man i tried it today...and oh man...it WORKED.....my pinky didnt mute the last string.....i was like wow thats so cool...

well now to learn the others....and then the hard part...playing them together...

thanks man

4. scot_hacker

scot_hacker New Member

tip

Now try something like this:

Play D

Put your pinky on the third fret of the last string - this gives Dsus4

Play D again

Play the last string open - gives D9

Play D again

Play these in order.

5. Liquid

Liquid New Member

hey cool thanks man....ill try it out...

6. Liquid

Liquid New Member

hey i got a question.....what is the best way to practice switching chords.....like which two chords should i try first....remember...im a beginner...plz keep it simple:)

7. scot_hacker

scot_hacker New Member

Chord switching

Try playing something like E-A (majors) and then C-Am. After a while try playing G-C-D using the last 4 strings.