correct technique of playing the electric guitar???..

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by uj_6string, Jun 2, 2006.

1. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

hey guys...
    i got my new electric, a fender squier showmaster.I'd like to thank all those of you who helped me buy my electric:beer:....
    I have heard that strumming the electric is easier than strumming the acoustic, provided you follow the right technique
    so my question is this, what is the major difference(in the technique) between playing the electric and the acoustic?....what is the correct technique of playing the electric?....the little i know, u have got to mute the strings.....i dont know much about it..any advice or any good links would really be appreciated.:)
    thankz....
    uj

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Why do you have to mute unless you have for a song? Are you talking about palm muting? I find no difference between strumming on an electric and an acoustic. I dont know what you're referring to. Holding chords is easier on an electric and playing high notes is easier, that's all the difference i can find in playing them.

uj_6string likes this.
  3. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Congartulations on the guitar man

As for thechnique i dont think there is any diff from the acoustic
    just learn some power chords and start rocking

https://electric-guitar.co.uk/Lessons/index.php

uj_6string likes this.
  4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Spot on.. ther is no diff... the only diff being in that playing higher notes is easier...You just play it the normal way... whatever you strum on an accoustic you can strum on an electric too....

5. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

same

n u can play power chords on acoustic too
    so its same

well if am not wrong.....

6. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

hmmm.....
    well..the strummin technique wil remain the same ...only thing ...u dont have to strum very hard and attack the strings parallel in order to get the sound like in an acoustic

..gentle strummin wil give u the output required cuz ur output is amplified

..so..technique wil remain the same ...the amount of effort u put to strum wil be much lower on the electric then on the acoustic ...thts al if u are talkin abt differences in strummin ....and also..holdin chords are easier cuz the aciton is low in most electrics so u dont need to put tht much pressure on ur fingers wen playin chords (especially bar chords )

uj_6string likes this.
  7. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i dont think there is any difference.

8. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

BUt I get noise when I try to play solos on Electric. Its not due to any feedback. My friend told me playing notes(lead ,I mean) on electric requires some release or something I can't remember. Can you please guide me?

9. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

thanks guys...i guess i had some misconceptions...:beer:

10. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

both r played the same way.
    u can add effects to an electric.

no offence but i think the single coil sounds awfull.

11. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Ok No offence intended bro... I love Humbukers more then Single coils
    BUT
    Single coils dont sound awfulll. They sound GREAT.. .If you aree talking abouth the hum from the single coils ok I agree that is annoying and I hate that hum..but you do get "single coil pickups that elminate the HUm and sound single coil".. .... Single coils get you a tone that is SPOT ON, CLARITY.
    I like the way RONNIE puts it... YOU NEED GUTS TO PLAY WITH A SINGLE COIL...
    For a long time I hated single coils.. But honestly they are great.... I love them in the neck....Most HumbuCkers sound MUDDY in the Neck... except for a few MODDED out HUMBUCKERS .. Like the DIMARZIO HUMBUKER FROM HELL OR THE DUNCAN JAZZ.

Any way Peace. :)

12. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Haha, i thought of arguing against him, but seriously, i neither had the time nor effort. For me, whenever a person argues against single coils i simply point in the direction of a Yngwie Malmsteen, an Eric Johnson or a Jeff Beck, 'nuff said.

13. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

+10000 Agrredd add Blackmore HENDRIX ext to that and a host of other guitarist.. Also Many guys who use LPS ext on stage use single coils while doing studio work for CLARITY... classic example is JIMMY PAGE in the first couple of ZEPPLIN ALBUMS... the most noticble STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN where he has used a TELE

14. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

:nw: :nw: I STAND CORRECTED!!!!!!!:nw: :nw: