Concept Albums

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by m_waleed86, Oct 17, 2005.

1. mrfreeze

mrfreeze The coolest one!!!

one question: how do you exactly define a concept album?

2. m_waleed86

m_waleed86 KhaMosh GhuStAk

hmmm...well me thinks...all the songs in a concept album follow a particualr concept ....to get a message across to the general public

3. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Steve Vai's new album Real Illusions is basically a story.

He's written out a story which you will find inside in chapters dividing each song.
    It's not really a continuous story but more like a character sketch for each and their situations.
    It's bloody brilliant. My Fav being Lotus Feet and the most fun being Yai Yai

4. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

The entire album being based on a story is great .. Filth have done similar stuffs ...
    And its a cool idea and difficult to put stuffs together like that ...

5. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

isnt :: scatman - scatman world ...a concept album?? i think it is!

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Cradle of Filth's Cruelty and the Beast is about Erzsebeth Bathory.
    There's also a Green Carnation album thats one long song.
    Anathema's 'A Fine Day to Exit' is about suicide I think..as indeed is the rest of their music.

7. jekyll

jekyll Banned

isnt that in which a kids voice is there?

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Crap. Filth guys are all total posers. I dont think they can have any concept in their mind. Total dumb idiots who know how to make money that's all and nothing more.

9. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

I agree that most of their success is based on theri image and marketing skills....but that doesnt really ater the fact that the album is lyrically a story of Bathory's life. Read the lyrics:)

10. mrfreeze

mrfreeze The coolest one!!!

hey.....most floyd albums would qualify as concept albums then.....i read somewhere that waters got the idea for dark side of the moon, when he was listing the 'things which make people mad'.....and there u go, we had DSOTM.....probably among the finest pieces of music ever....

the same was the story with 'the wall'

11. Strat

Strat Floydian

I think all Radiohead albums since Ok Computer can be called concept albums.

12. acidwabbit

acidwabbit New Member

5 of the best concept albums

Operation Mindcrime - Queensryche
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - Iron Maiden
    The Odyssey - Symphony X
    The Dark Saga - Iced Earth
    The Coheed and Cambria Trilogy

13. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Operation Mindcrime is amazing...Revolution Coming!!!

Symphony X just doesnt appeal to me. DreamTheater rulz the Progressive Metal category. ;)

14. acidwabbit

acidwabbit New Member

Dennis dude...no hard feelings but i love mindcrime and i hope you mean revolution calling...and i like DT et Petrucci a hell lot they're awesome live but their album that does it for me is Images and Words not any of the other concept albums thosh their live performance scenes from a memory is one for the ages...
    btw,u can hear a sample for one of the songs online from OPERATION MINDCRIME II ...the story continues :)

15. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yeah, i guess different people different tastes.
    Cant wait for Mindcrime 2.
    U into any other Prog stuff?? ELP,Camel etc?

16. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

A shame that a thread on concept albums goes 3 pages without a mention of the mighty Savatage. 'Streets - A Rock Opera' and 'Dead Winter Dead' rank as some of the best metal concept albums ever recorded.

17. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Höly shit! Think again :p:

18. acidwabbit

acidwabbit New Member

spank my ass and call me Homer for missing out on these two gems...good for you death_metal_fan for mentioning them even include "The Wake of Magellan" when you mention them...RIP Criss Olivia

19. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

and Dawn Oliva (Criss's wife) as well. January 12th this year was the 1 year anniversary of her passing. R.I.P.

20. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

CONCEPT ALBUMS
    (in no particular order)

1) Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? - Megadeth (1986) - A collection of songs dealing with paranoia and anti-social tendencies.

2) Night of the Stormrider - Iced Earth (1992) - A man who is betrayed by religion turns away from it in anger. The dark forces of nature reach out to this enraged man and use him as their vessel to bring death and destruction to Earth

3)Dead Winter Dead - Savatage (1995) - A Serb boy and Muslim girl fall in love in war-torn Sarajevo

4) Dark Saga - Iced Earth (1996) - It tells the story of the comic book Spawn, in which a man dies and goes to hell. He sells his soul in order to return to his true love on Earth. But he soon discovers that she is married to his own best friend. He is left completely alone in the world, and although he has good inside, he is influenced by dark forces.

5) Whoracle - In Flames (1997) - An album consisting of vocalist Anders Friden's thoughts and discussions translated and lyricized by Dark Tranquillity guitarist Niclas Sundin. It is very much in the same vein conceptually as its predecessor, The Jester Race, and some believe Whoracle continues the very same story.

6) Metropolis, Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory - Dream Theater (1999) - Past life regression and murder discovery, the second part of the song Metropolis Pt. 1: "The Miracle and the Sleeper which appeared on their Images and Words album.

7) Remedy Lane - Pain of Salvation (2002) live with a group of people in a communal environment

8)Be - Pain of Salvation (2004) - A nontraditional approach to the beginnings and nature of God, as well as the behavior of the human race.