Chords query

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by pranavsg07, Apr 10, 2010.

1. pranavsg07

pranavsg07 New Member

Hi friends. I joined a guitar class in pune. Our sir told us to use all the string for playing chords. So a D major would be 200232. The 6th string is played by the thumb. He said that all the notes of a chord should be played. I searched the internet but could not find any info on this.
    Does anyone know about it?

2. raga2303

raga2303 Member

D chaord will contain D, F# and A note. When you play 200232 - you actually play, F#, A, D, A, D, F#.. therefore what you are playing is all nodes of D chord only..

3. rockii

rockii New Member

i am a beginner.so i am practicsing only leading guitar notes & i don't know chords.can anyone help me & give notes for tamil songs

4. milesfastguy

milesfastguy New Member

it depends. D major should contain D,F# and A. We normally do this by playing xx0232 where u play the notes D,A,D,F#. here D is played twice to reinforce the root note. similarly we can give the chord more color by repeating the A note. so we can play x00232 where we play A,D,A,D,F#. but usually we dont repeat the 3rd note of a chord(F# in this case). we normally repeat the root and the fifth. so wat ur referring to 200232 has a F# in the bass so wat ur playing is actually a D/F# chord which are referred to as major chord inversions or chord voicings or more commonly Slash chords.
    cheers!

5. milesfastguy

milesfastguy New Member

it depends. D major should contain D,F# and A. We normally do this by playing xx0232 where u play the notes D,A,D,F#. here D is played twice to reinforce the root note. similarly we can give the chord more color by repeating the A note. so we can play x00232 where we play A,D,A,D,F#. but usually we dont repeat the 3rd note of a chord(F# in this case). we normally repeat the root and the fifth. so wat ur referring to 200232 has a F# in the bass so wat ur playing is actually a D/F# chord which are referred to as major chord inversions or chord voicings or more commonly Slash chords.
    cheers!

6. kingrock33

kingrock33 New Member

Like Milesfast guy mentioned, the chord you have mentioned the D/F# chord which is played to stress on the F# bass note. This is not common usage of the D Chord. Generally when you're learning, guitar teachers try to make you use all your fingers to get used to the guitar, especially your pinky. You have a lot of sites available to give you chord structures, refer to them to be doubly sure.

7. jonusb3

jonusb3 New Member