chord theory

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Sumanovo razor, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

well actually i've got many questions to ask...m sorry if i am irritating you...suppose you are listening to a song...how will you know that which genre of music is that song...just by listening...whats the difference between licks and riffs ...sorry for my ignorance....hey yesterday i figured out something...you were playing cm7,am7,dm7,g7th which is a 1625 progression...when you finish that clip by playing cm7...its okay...but can we use cmaj6 over here ...as the sixth note would be 'a'...i usually like to conclude my songs by playing a major6th...but then again depends on the type of song.....you were right we can omit the root note in cmajor9th ...same with a dominant 9th...i use to think that if we omit the root note...then the chord will actually luse its identity...but then you can easily make up the root note by playing the root note in bass guitar...i even want to learn bass...but then for that i need to learn bass clef notations

2. raga2303

raga2303 Member

Clap clap clap.. full marks for the effort and explanation.. Man you rock.. I am yet to hear your links but will defintely do so today..

3. raga2303

raga2303 Member

This is an easy one so let me answer this .. it will be called as Db just because C is already there in the scale..

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

There is an important difference between embellishment and passing notes. Embellishment is the enrichment of the chord using extensions...such as sus4, 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths and sharps and flats of each of them. Passing notes are just notes in between two notes of a melody that you are playing. Sometimes you want to use embellishments in such a way that they create passing notes. That does not mean that they are similar in concept.

For the naming, raga is quite correct. You usually tend to use each note once so if you have a C, you will call the next note Db and not a C#. Personally, I'm not sure why it makes a difference. Take for example the C# major scale. The notes are:

C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C#

E# and B# could easily have been called F and C but they are not. I am not sure why but apparently it does make a difference.

For all your questions:

a) I don't normally care which genre the song belongs to. I listen to it. If I like it, I listen to it again. and again.

b) Licks are small sets of notes that you play to connect melodies together. They are usually a bunch of notes that you've practised before and are comfortable with and repeat in differnt contexts in different songs. Riffs are usually very catchy lines that are repeated through a song and not usually taken from one song into another. It is not an important difference to understand and I'm not sure if I have it right. If someone else has a different opinion on this, I'd be interested.

c) Yes, you can...usually the chord resolves better with a major 7th but that should not stop you from trying something new. Also, remember to use a capital M when you talk about major 7th chords, makes it easier for me to read and is the correct way.

d) Good to see that you're picking up the concept very quickly. Hope to hear you using it soon.

@raga: Much appreciated. Let me know what you think of the recordings.

5. Sumanovo razor

i know the answer...see there is a particular way of writing scales...
    The things which you should note while writing a scale are
    1)use all the notes while writing a scale
    2)you can use flats or sharps but cannot mix both of them...

so here's the formula or the process of writing a major scale
    wwhwwwh
    where w stands for whole note
    and h stands for half note...
    So if we want to write the major scales of Db scale then

the easiest method is to write all the 7 notes in their natural form

D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D

we want the major scales of Db right..so (can use flats or sharps but cant mix them together)we will only use flats as per the rule

Db--Eb--F--Gb--Ab--Bb--C--|||Db
    w....w...h.....w.....w.....w....h.....

now let us try for c# scale...

lets right all the natural notes
    c-d-e-f-g-a-b-|||c

now for c#scale

c#...d#...f/e#....f#....g#......a#....b#/c....|||c#

so as we can see that it doesnt holds the above two rules for writing scales...hence we can say that its not c# scale but its a Db scale...sounds kinda awkward na...

k lets find out the major scales for f

so first we'll write all the notes

F-G-A-B-C-D-E-|||F

now the major scales would be

F--G---A---Bb--C--D---E-|||F
    W...W....H......W...W...W...H...

if we would have used a# instead of Bb we would have violated the first rule of writing the scales i.e(all notes must be used while writing scales)...so we come to the conclusion that Fmajor scale has got 1 flat note in its major scale...

For minor scale flatten the 3rd,6th and 7th note of the major scale...without violating the rules of writing scales...

hope i was able to explain you...
    (carlton rules)

6. Sumanovo razor

150 euro will come around 10.5k in INR

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

No, which rule does this scale violate? You are using all the notes as well as using only sharps when you write it the way I did.

Also, that was not my question. My question was does it make a difference whether you're playing a C# scale or a Db scale? What changes in terms of music? Using wikipedia, I know something does because of this:

8. Sumanovo razor

you making me confused....theoretically Db should exist..because we all know that e# and b# is nothing but f and c though we dont write them...but practically you may use any of them.coz tone wise c# and Db are the same thing..dunno about the bach's thing...

9. Sumanovo razor

did you get that c# scale thing...if yes then do explain me...

10. Sumanovo razor

i want to learn blues and metal... ;(....i guess blues is played in mixolydian mode and metal in aeolian or locrian mode...they may use harmonic minor scales also...i love the song tenement funster ...from dream theater though thats not a metal band but still...btw wats enharmonic

11. Sumanovo razor

am not able to post new threads...don know why...everytime a write something ...they will say that wait your thread needs to confirmed by the admin or something like that...;(

12. Sumanovo razor

after completing my engineering am planning to get a fender american standard or a special strat or tele...i really like tele's but then everytime i see people will talk about strats...

13. Sumanovo razor

wonder which configuration would be better a nashville with 3 pickups or standard 2 pickups or hss strat or sss configuration...

14. raga2303

raga2303 Member

Superb.. I love it.. well played bjr..

15. Sumanovo razor

hey bjr 'B' has 5 sharps ...if you want you can check it...btw the one wrote about c# in wikipedia may not have the correct information...or may be its me who is not able to justify my given explanation....who knows ...j.s bach has written about it...

16. Sumanovo razor

#j.s bach hasnt written those stuffs in wikipedia himself...

17. Vader

Vader New Member

wow great thread
    nice work bjr
    reps for all
    really well played

18. Vader

Vader New Member

@ razor
    sorry for the late reply buddy
    heard autumn leaves
    but i guess bjr already explained much more than i could :)

19. Vader

Vader New Member

@bjr

which recording software hardware do you use

20. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I just use audacity. Free, simple and I've used it long enough to be comfortable with the basic features. Hardware? I think I have a creative soundcard whose name I cannot remember but it came with the laptop....Im using the built-in mic and an Epiphone AJ -100 CE without plugging it in. It's a great guitar...better than a lot of more expensive ones I've played. I also got lucky with the piece because I took a chance and bought it online. If hardware means anything else, I have no idea!