Chord Progression Circle

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by Arindam.Ray, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

Code:
    Chord Progression Circle
    ------------------------
    Every now and then i have been asked,mainly a query of the beginers that "how will i detect the chords of a song by hearing it ?"

Well as always...the answer is CHORD PROGRESSION CYCLE...(or circle).

Am
                Dm                 Em
                          C
                    F           G
            Gm                         Bm
                 Bb                D

Cm   Eb                  A   F#m

Ab                E
            Fm                         C#m
                    Db    Gb     B
                          F#
               Bbm                  G#m
                          Ebm
                          D#m

How to use this circle
    ----------------------

If the key is "C" (major) the letter left of the
    "C" will indicate the subdominant (F) and the one
    on the right the dominant (G).
    So you have to use the chords C, F and G
    If there are minor chords in the song, they will
    be Am, Dm and Em (Usually it would be Em7, but
    that means going deeper into the theory more & more!)

If the key is Bbm, all possible chords were: Bbm,
    Ebm, Fm, Db, Gb, Ab.

The parallel minor scale to C is Am, the parallel
    major scale to Fm is Ab.

Now all the songs may not follow this rule...but its handy to learn the basic chords in a cycle of any song.Many many songs follow this rule...so why not learn it ?Exceptions are mere occurance rather than regular or persistant incident.

Any comments,suggessions are welcome in this regard.
    Any further help over this lesson are more than welcome !

With warm regards,
    Arindam Ray.

sixstringsin and DrSaurabh like this.
  2. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

good one..arindam...........really nice yaar..hats off to u....

3. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

;) Good trick..One question.. we need to memorise the chart??:think:

nIK!!:nw:

4. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

Not really!!

Not really nik.....ota bajate bajate thik hoye jabe.....practice a lot...ota apna-apni eshe jabe...

With Regards,
    Arindam Ray.

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

One chord the circle misses is the chord relating to the 7th note of the scale. It is known as a minor7thb5th or half-diminished chord(1, b3,b5,b7).

For the key of C, the chord corresponding to the B note will be Bmin7b5 (BDFA)

Knowing this circle well has a lot more uses than just knowing the key. I suggest that people study it.

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@arindam try to stick to a language eveyone can understand..........
    BTW......nice work.....reps for you

7. Arindam.Ray

Arindam.Ray Undertaker

Sorry....

Sorry Dr......I wont be doind this mistake once again....Sorry once again.

With Regards,
    Arindam Ray.

8. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

no bjr the circle did not miss that chord, you missed it ! the B is there ,its what you want to make it min , 1/2 dim. etc. look at the lesson i posted here on building guitar scales. later.

9. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

good post,I have said some pointers on this circle,already,its easier if the majs. were the outer cir. and the min. the inner cir.and I explained it with the C at 12 0clock, the F at 1.00'clock, and the G at 11.00. also C>G as up a 5th... C>F up a 4th. you got it as dom. and sub dom.which is fine but most ppl know it as I, IV ,V it also shows the" extended family chords" e.g if the I, IV, V chords make up the immeditate family there relative minors are the extended family so in the key of C maj.(I), F(IV) ,G(V) are the immediate chord family and the relative minor Amin(rel. to C), Dmin (rel.to F) , and Emin(rel. to G).
    Also it is mainly used for TRANSPOSING which means changing a song's key for e.g if you find a song written in the key of Eb(D#) and want to change to key of C in your circle C is 3 steps clockwise away from Eb(D#),(in my circle counter clockwise) so you move every chord in that song 3 steps clockwise Ab becomes F,...Cm becomes Amin,.....Bb becomes G, etc. if you was to follow this pattern also it shows you that the "circle of fifths" as I call it ,movement on the fretboard follows a zig zag pattern 5th(A) ,6th(E) strings. Thats why you might probably see a lot of musicians change key on stage in a" flash" by just moving on the 5th(A) and ,6th(E) string of the guitar, If you was to lay it out on the fret board you'll see it. later.

10. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

good post,I have said some pointers on this circle,already,its easier if the majs. were the outer cir. and the min. the inner cir.and I explained it with the C at 12 0clock, the F at 1.00'clock, and the G at 11.00. also C>G as up a 5th... C>F up a 4th. you got it as dom. and sub dom.which is fine but most ppl know it as I, IV ,V it also shows the" extended family chords" e.g if the I, IV, V chords make up the immeditate family there relative minors are the extended family so in the key of C maj.(I), F(IV) ,G(V) are the immediate chord family and the relative minor Amin(rel. to C), Dmin (rel.to F) , and Emin(rel. to G).
    Also it is mainly used for TRANSPOSING which means changing a song's key for e.g if you find a song written in the key of Eb(D#) and want to change to key of C in your circle C is 3 steps clockwise away from Eb(D#),(in my circle counter clockwise) so you move every chord in that song 3 steps clockwise Ab becomes F,...Cm becomes Amin,.....Bb becomes G, etc. if you was to follow this pattern also it shows you that the "circle of fifths" as I call it ,movement on the fretboard follows a zig zag pattern 5th(A) ,6th(E) strings. Thats why you might probably see a lot of musicians change key on stage in a" flash" by just moving on the 5th(A) and ,6th(E) string of the guitar, If you was to lay it out on the fret board you'll see it. later.

11. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

sorry 4 posting twice!

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I beg to differ. It cannot be what you want to make it. If you make it a minor, you are essentially moving out of the C major scales since you have an F# there. A full diminished will take it out of the scale since the bb7th will take it out of the scale....it has to be a half diminished chord. However, the triad you are using is the diminished triad.

Perhaps it would have been more prudent to say that Arindam missed the chord and not the circle.

13. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

bjr when I said make it what u want to i was meaning logically to whats within that scale you take the B if its min. or 1/2 dim. whatever it has to be in the prog.you make it.neither did Arindam, missed it .
    The circle of 5ths(also called the circle of 4ths) aranges the 12 musical tones so that a step clockwise(in this lesson, otherwise it would have been counter clkwise) takes u up a 5th and counter clkse takes u up a 4th so according to the circle its correct we can't add , or remove anything on there, also my lesson on working out music on this same forum already answered your latter explaination about 1/2 dim.

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

You can use any chord you want to in any progression...there is no rule there but there is a rule if you want to stay within a particular scale. I thought Arindam missed it since I did not see any mention of it in what he had written.

yes, yes I know. I haven't read your lesson but I know what the circle of 5ths is.