Career Planning

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by fat_kax, Mar 19, 2006.

1. fat_kax

fat_kax Kickin Ass Since 1989 !

ok - considerin that most ppl here are alredy in or thru wid college....why not gain some advice huh...so for me = wats good to take up fer a fat music hed after passin outta class12th(mind u that just may not happen - and there's still a year to go to find out...) wid commerce---so aneone wanna tell me?

2. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

eh???

dude please avoid solecism and slangs

3. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

:shock:
    i thought u'll be the last guy to open such a thread>:grin:

4. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

What made u think that?

5. fat_kax

well - ok = the plain thing is - im confused - i joined class 11th wid science - dropped it in the first month - flicked the switch to commerce - and with the way things are goin - im not sure that im ever gonna earn even a buck in my entire life...so u guyz - well most of u - being in college - prolly have an idea of wats hot and wats not...so mite as well gain sumthin = wot?
    @wizard dude - all im askin is wat stream/subjects/cource shud a guy take up after passin outta class 12th wid commerce - so as to secore a decent future...

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The question is: how do you define a decent future?

7. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

aha got it now

U can try for B Com which the most direct thing u can go for
    or u can jump into something like BMS (Bachelor of Management Studies) and BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) which are more management oriented.

If you are interested in media, advertising and journalism....try going for a cpurse in Mass Media. I dont know about the university there but there is a course BMM (Bachelor of Mass Media) offered by the Mumbai university.

8. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

I have listed out the different options u can try after 12th Commerce....its upto u to choose wisely

9. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

^^ was abt to suggest that
    ... if I were u ... i would have probably done with mass comm ---but explore ur inclinations first!!

10. fat_kax

hey - i got a question - wat all does symboioisis offer - and wats better in the long run - a Bcom or some mngmnt thingy - and how important is a MBA
    @alphadude - hey there u are agin - ur gettin a nag of readin my posts - thanx - well - come to think of it --- a job starting wid 15-20000a month - not too many werking hours - i want some time to spend wat i earn - duh! and definetly weekend off

as of inclinations - yeh - i like to write - and im good at animating on flash...i think...but i want some kinda pro job- hey aneone here doin a desk job?

11. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

oh if you're good at animations and hv a flair for writing -- u can hv a great future in content development and e-learning industry --as an instructional designer and they're paid quite well!

12. sachoo

sachoo drenched in my pain again

:shock: are u really serious :shock: . then go for mgmt coz tht's wat it suits u. mass comm or mass media (u can definately dare amazing ad's). n it has really smart bucks (SIMB bagged 7.2 ka avg pack). give damn to techie's :annoyed:

13. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

any info on courses...chk out the college/univ websites...they are pretty informative

MBA is important...but dude the question is are u actually a management guy. The brand value of a good management school is a lot but if u are more inclined into say information security then first you specialse in that field and then maybe do an MBA in say IT and Systems.
    it all depends on what you want to do....a guy who is into marketing will never do MBA in HR...it is pretty obvious.

From your interests I suggest you try the mass comm thing and maybe do a side course in animation.....while u are graduating you can try ur hand in freelance writing as well. eventually u'll find out where u are more inclined.

a starting job of 15-20 k is tough dude...esp wen ur not an engg...and in a non-IT firm....trust me its not easy.
    but yes if u are good in convincing people u can go ahead and sell amway products

14. fat_kax

@sixstring = wat do i need to do to become that...?? as in college cource - wat- and i mean - im not too excelent in studies - regular 70% kid
    @ sachoo = sorry man - cudnt unnerstand wat u sayin = elaborate...(now i kno wat u feel like wen i write sumthin...:eek::)

15. fat_kax

:RollLol:

ummm...u think so - wats the average salary i shud expect - wat if i go fer a Bcom or BBA followed by an MBA from somewhere - like of maybe some repute - how good is that - i read this book that sed that even an MBA from BHU shud get me a package of somewhere 60,000 monthly...
    i hope u realize i cant unnerstand half of wat ur sayin - but keep goin - im gettin a good idea of wat to do and to expect...btw - my parents are sayin fer BCom

16. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

to get into technical writing or instructional designing it is gud if you stick to some IT-related subjects in college ..beacuse the job will revolve around describing complex software/technologies so normally people with software skills are preferred there and u'll find it easier to grow ... perhaps u could considedr doing BCA then??

17. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

lol...wht is BHU btw?

dude, IT companies offer like 15+ to startup enggrs...whereas say in advertising it basically depends on the agency...also the competition is a lot more in media related jobs.

dude, frankly, I cannot predict how much u'll earn after an mba from a reputed institute

18. sachoo

sachoo drenched in my pain again

19. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

@wizzy
    BHU is banaras hindu university..
    @fatkax..even iam a commerce guy..
    iam doing BBA now..and going to follow up with an MBA..
    it all depends..on where u do ur MBA from..
    u might be a graduta via correspondence..but if u are an MBA from IIM-A and likes..ur through..
    i know a person who did his graduation through corres...and today is an IIM-A grad..
    so..u shd decide what u want/have to do..

20. fat_kax

@anshdude - how hard is BBA academiclyy
    @sachoo = yeh i kno programmin and stuff - and im pretty clued up technically - but not much intrested...
    @sixstring - can i do a BCA after commerce - i have maths btw...

and thanx - i think im gonna study fer like a BBa or maybe Bcom - checkin out symbiosis site...is their like an all india entrance fer this stuff or sumthin?